Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

AR 15 mod problem

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Tactical Option, Oct 15, 2011.

1. Tactical Option

Tactical Option Western Oregon Member

I just added extended takedown pins to my AR. Now the rear pin is so close to my ambi selector that it is very difficult to operate. Is there an ambi selector that gets around this problem?

2. halmbarte

halmbarte PDX Active Member

Just wondering: Why use the extended pins? Was there a problem with the standard pins?

H

3. Tactical Option

They are much more convenient for tearing your weapon down for cleaning, or for switching out uppers.

4. halmbarte

Ok. But at what cost? The standard pins are easily removed with a loaded round or pointy stick. I suspect your extended pins are going to be subject to getting hit and loosened accidentally or being damaged since they stick out. Besides interfering with your safety.

If you install a doo-dad and it causes problems the correct solution probably isn't another doo-dad.

H

Blitzkrieg, Riot and (deleted member) like this.
  5. Tactical Option

I guess they were around $10. Made by YHM. No there is no danger of them being hit or loosened. This is a pretty standard mod on custom ARs. I only added the ambi selector to make it more similar to the MP-5 and UMP. Having more hours of training on these weapon systems, I try to keep everything as consistant as possible. I just need either an oversized ambi selector, or one that protrudes ar a 45 degree angle instead of parallel to the barrel. Can't find anything yet.

6. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

Best 10-15 bucks you can spend (mine were 15) Just way easier to use.Not a doo dad by any means.
    Why mess with a bullet when ,with these,you can just pop them out?

Now to the question at hand.I'm gunna guess you would have to ask YHM or just take a dremmel to the new pin.Then a Birchwood Casey blue pen

So will the pin be in your thumb's way,or is it just in the way of moving it? As I've thought of the ambi control myself.
    And those doo dads are the fist mod I make.

7. Skang

Skang WA Well-Known Member

8. Old Hick

Old Hick Oregon Active Member

Skang beat me to it, but here is another link from AR15.com

STORE.AR15.COM - AR15.Com Store

I too have the extended takedown pins on my AR and Love them. A Lot Safer than using a live round to push a tight fitting pin out.

Stay Safe.

mjbskwim and (deleted member) like this.
  9. madcratebuilder

madcratebuilder Ardenwald, OR Well-Known Member

Extended pins suck imo. If you have to have them you could use a short lever like BAD offers. I have yet to see a take down pin that I can't push out with my thumb nail after the gun has been fired a few hundred rounds.

Buddhalux and (deleted member) like this.
  10. Tactical Option

The pin is in the way of my thumb.

11. mjbskwim

Yeah I finally took mine out to see wtf and it looks like it's the cool pins or using the ambi safety.
    And only you can decide which you will use more or is more important.

Can you swing the safety lever forwards? The pin will kinda always be in it's way though huh?

12. Bellehood

Bellehood Bellevue, WA Member

extended take down pins have got to be one of the stupider AR accessories to come out of the range ninja/delta dan/gear queer catalog yet. Even if your pins are too tight to be pushed out with your fingers, use a pen, a chop stick, a regular stick, a bullet (which is in no way unsafe, as said above), or anything else remotely pointy and long. And as also said above, if adding a pointless accessory, creates a problem that has to be fixed by another accessory, than the ORIGINAL mistake should be obvious.

13. halmbarte

Nooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!

Want more bolt-on crap on gun!!! Must make tacticool!!!

You'll never be cool unless you have STUFF!

Skills? Who needs them? Accessories are much more important.

H

bingeebob and (deleted member) like this.
  14. mjbskwim

Sure brah,cool story,whatever you say

But I don't need any those things when the pins are just right there to pull out
    Now move along,go back to sleep

Yeah and I bet you both have all the ninja skills a mofo could want.Uh huh

15. Tbucket

Tbucket Olympia,Wash. Active Member

So a guy asks a question and instead of helping him you tell him his stuff is junk and uneccesary? Tough crowd.

16. Bellehood

When do you not have a pen and/or a cartridge with you? Even if you didn't, any AR that has been shot a bit and disassembled a few times, the pins can be pushed out with the meaty part of your thumb, or a nice thick fingernail.

ninja skills? perhaps not. Just real world experience.

17. mjbskwim

I'm still wondering why,when I have the ninja cool mushroom head pins in my AR so I don't have to find any of those?

Mine too if from my real worldly experience.

Written with fat fingers and thin fingernails,no pen in pocket

18. Bellehood

saturday's at your local range doesn't count

19. Tbucket

Tbucket Olympia,Wash. Active Member

Not to be a arse but are you really gonna bust this guys butt because he likes the extended pins? I have seen a whole lot worse things out there.

20. wakejoe

wakejoe Beaverton, OR Well-Known Member

Okay, how about this one?

"Extended pins are dumb because they interfere with your ambidextrous safety."