JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Does anyone have experience with the new AR15-like rifles out there that are coming in .22 LR? I'm talking about the S&W, Colt, and Ruger (even though it's only AR15-like).

How do they group? How about reliability? Cleanability?

Thanks in advance...

Bryce

Granted I don't own one but I have read some really bad reviews on the Colt .22's and I'm not a huge fan of 10/22's, the new ones I've fired have had horrible triggers and finish. Everybody seems to like the S&W's so I'd go that route personally.

I put together my own with a velocity arms upper, and it runs nearly as reliable as my .223 AR, its just that every once in a while you get a weak .22 rounds and it might not cycle, but that's just the a flaw in the ammunition. As far as cleaning goes, I've probably put 2-3k through it and haven't ever got around to cleaning it ;)

I have a Spike's barrel and bolt that was purchased in the beginning of 2008. It was WAY out of spec but I contacted Tom at Spike's sent the upper back and it's been running great since the bolt was replaced and "tuning" was done(he shot it a bunch, then didn't clean before returning it to me).

Love shooting it and helps drill me on manipulation, manual of arms, clearing malfunctions(I'd gotten quite good at this!) and just over all cheaper training that allows more use than paying for 5.56.

This is my set up, prior to installing a Troy 9" free float rail system:

I must say as well, this is pretty damned accurate for what it is! Stitchclimber and I were tagging 4" plates off-hand at 100 yards with my EoTech the other week.

I have the Spikes upper as well. It took a bit of polishing on the feed ramp and chamber to get it to feed Mini Mags. It has always liked anything copper washed by Federal. The coating on the bolt assembly allows you to just wipe the crud off when you clean it. They use Green Mountain barrel which are extremely accurate. The tighter chambers in the barrels might be part of the issue with them being finicky about ammo. Though not as reliable as a centerfire AR, it is great as a low cost option for training or just for plinkin'.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top