Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Ar-15 left handed Safety Switch?

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by splizaat, Oct 3, 2009.

1. splizaat

splizaat Beaverton, OR. New Member

Finally got a chance to shoot my new Bushmaster M4A3 AR-15 today and although it's a right handed model and I shoot left handed, everything was ok except ONE thing. The problem I ran into is that the safety switch, in 'fire' mode rubs the side of my pointer finger to the point where it'll eventually become a blister.

I see on bushmaster's site that they offer an ambidextrous safety switch (and truthfully I'm not set on any brand) but the problem is that it still has the right handed switch...so it will still rub. Does anyone make JUST a left handed safety switch that I can swap out?

Matt

2. 9mmMike

9mmMike Gladstone, OR Member

I plan on installing and ambi safety on mine in a few weeks but first will grind down the other side with the dremmel and a little polish of the edge. I haven't been able to find one for a lefty only.

Thats my fix.

3. JumpWing

JumpWing NK WA Member

I know Stag makes a complete LH rifle. Maybe buy a replacement selector from them?

4. the4thshake

the4thshake Portland Active Member

The safety wont rub on anything. Your hand is below it.

5. splizaat

Stag sells the LEFT selector ONLY but i've emailed them asking if it's a direct swap on my bushy...awaiting a response :) it's only $15 on their site.

6. Dan-Dee Sales Inc

Dan-Dee Sales Inc Sweet Home, Oregon, United States Active Member

I have converted all of my guns to an Ambi safety with no problems. They work fine.

7. NoAim

NoAim Hillsboro, OR Active Member

If you you use a high grip, like a pistol, this does happen. I've noticed it on several rifles that have ambi safeties.

Two corrections:

1) Change your grip, or

2) Shorten the tab on the safety. From what I was seeing, cutting it down by just 1/8" would solve the problem.

8. splizaat

I know the ambi-switch will work, i'm wondering if the stag arms LEFT ONLY switch will work in a right handed gun since I'd assume it'd made as a replacement for the left handed gun.

9. splizaat

10. arly228

arly228 Camas New Member

:thumbup: from a fellow south paw.

And thanks splizaat for the link!

11. splizaat

NO problem...I will let you know how I like it when it finally arrives! :)

12. .45's and .38's

.45's and .38's Happy Valley OR Well-Known Member

are You sure you dont need a rounded trigger guard? which covers the gap which rubs your finger....I think

13. eldbillbo

eldbillbo clackamas New world samurai and a redneck none the less Bronze Supporter

shoot dude you should have started a group buy :D i would have bought one just to have one . never had any issues with the ambi switches but hey got a lefty upper might as well all the way ya know:thumbup:

14. cobra150

cobra150 beaverton Member

As another option. I believe JP has an ambi safety set, you can choose to leave off the lever on either side (they are attached with screws).

15. splizaat

Got the Lefty Switch. Installed....ANDDDD --- the detent doesn't click into the holes of the new switch from STAG. They think for some reason, that I may need a new detent and spring so they sent that out. I will let you know if that solves the problem. But until then, the safe/fire selector gets tough for a second but will fully rotate 360 with slightly more than average pressure.

16. splizaat

New detent and springs installed....still not sitting properly. SO, Stag is now sending a second selector switch.

I will say Stag is EXTREMELY easy to work with on the phone. I called and said "it's not fitting properly, the switch is able to roll all the way around" and they said "what's your address we are going to send you a new one..." Insane customer service, I just want my selector to work!

17. 9mmMike

9mmMike Gladstone, OR Member

I attached the ambi safety from DPMS about 2 weeks ago with no problems.