Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

AR-15 "Build or buy" in these times.

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by snooopidydoo, Feb 6, 2013.

1. snooopidydoo

snooopidydoo Medford Oregon Active Member

I have built and bought many AR's but i am completely stumped with these times.
    $500 for a lower $600 for upper minus BCG $350 for BCG... WTF..
    $2000 Del-ton sport....

Can we just go back to hobbiest prices again for a few days...
    What's your personal opinions?
    buy VS build.

2. Ghost_2.0

Ghost_2.0 Oregon Member

I'd wait til supply catches up and prices drop. Definitely not getting an AR with today's crazy prices.

3. Nwcid

Nwcid Yakima and N of Spokane Well-Known Member

Well like in any other market look a the total cost for what you want. Figure out what is best and go that route.

Other option is to wait.

4. WashCoDad

WashCoDad Beanerton Active Member

I am not feeding the hype.
    But, if i HAD to have an ar right now, I would buy a complete unit.

5. snooopidydoo

Yeah i am not going to pay anything over a couple bucks retail (Almost impossible) i have seen a few decent deals pop up locally but they sell instantly.. Seems everybody is watching for the deal..
    I found a rifle in a normal price range but it's not what i want. 20 inch A2 upper and A2 stock, but thinking about buying it and trading the parts for what i want...

mjbskwim and (deleted member) like this.
  6. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

until you have a BCG in hand building one is going to be kind of hard

7. MountainBear

MountainBear Sweet Home, OR Well-Known Member

Stop. Breath. Let the idiots and procrastinators finish their idiocy. Things will calm back down my friend.

Dan1477 and (deleted member) like this.
  8. raindog

raindog Portland, OR Active Member

This is an interesting option:

AR-15 - Ares Armor

Out of stock but they are restocking and selling at those prices. I personally don't have the metalworking ability to turn an 80% finished lower into a fully finished lower, nor is it clear to me exactly what's required.

9. stmcelroy

stmcelroy Madras, OR Well-Known Member

Option C for me.

Wait until things catch up, find other things I want now or just save my cash to buy the best AR15(Daniel Defense) I can when they're available.

10. snooopidydoo

I know i sold a DD with Vltor Troy piston everything possible a few months back... it would be $6000 in todays market prices lol.

11. DieselScout

DieselScout S Clackamas County Well-Known Member

Now is the right time to be buying double shotguns and lever actions!! Wood and blued is where the buying power is.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  12. stmcelroy

stmcelroy Madras, OR Well-Known Member

Or bolt actions, revolvers or 1911's.

13. Norm0931

Norm0931 Hillsboro, OR Sgt. Sheep Silver Vendor 2016 Volunteer

I am building an AR right now and I spent probably 3 weeks trying to find a VLTOR MUR-1a. They are being sold on gun broker by shops for double and triple the retail and listed as out of stock on their actual storefronts. AR15.com's equip exchange has some outrageous prices and they are still selling, which shocks me. I've been just keeping on the look out for [arts and waiting patiently and stuff is slowly trickling in. I think it comes down to luck at this point. I am still like 60 days out on my lower from AXTS so I'm not really in a rush. I'd say just keep looking and be patient and you can still get good deals. Set yourself a goal of not spending more than at most MSRP and stick to it.

14. Norm0931

Norm0931 Hillsboro, OR Sgt. Sheep Silver Vendor 2016 Volunteer

Tits, check out the McMillan M2A stock. It's what we were using for our DMR M14s in the Corps before they switched to EBRs a few years ago. They were great stocks, didn't weigh a ton, the pistol grip and adjustable check piece were nice.

15. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

I sold my 7.62X39 pistol because I couldn't find mags or they were expensive and my 6.8 for the same reason.
    Although I'm not a huge AR fan. I mean I have had them and have 1 now,but they just don't do that much for me.

I was just talking to some friends today about lever guns and bolt guns.
    I was in the gun store and said I think I'll pick up a few of each since that may be all that is legal soon,and a guy looked like he would cry
    "Don't say that!"

Heck with the cost of ammo bolt and lever guns are becoming as much fun,when every trigger pull is a dollar.

16. snooopidydoo

I was telling my wife today, "well maybe while everybody is in the rifle section i can score myself a nice HK USP, or something nice" and there really is some truth to that. I have a 'couple' :paranoid: toys to keep me busy.. But with my tax refund in hand i can't help but be glued to the computer.

17. 2Wheels4Ever

2Wheels4Ever Central Oregon Well-Known Member 2015 Volunteer

Wait it out. Hopefully there will be no ban. But if you feel like there will be and you do not want to get stuck without an ar15, just buy a stripped lower. You can find them for $300 right now.

18. Will_Power

Will_Power OR via OK Active Member

Like everybody else is saying, wait it out. Take the time to a. figure out exactly what you want to build, and b. call your elected officials.

Eventually - and with work on our end - no gun or magazine ban will pass, prices will stabilize, and a lot of the panic buyers will unload their product onto the market.

19. bigphil

bigphil Gig Harbor, WA New Member

There are plenty of places that aren't trying to fist people during this BS. If you are a little patient I would setup notifications for uppers at Bravo Company Machining and Rainier Arms. They have good prices and fast shipping. Rainier had a DD v7 complete upper a couple of days ago and BCM gets very nice complete uppers all of the time. Lowers from Aero at $200 is a little steep, but they have stock every 1-2 weeks. Deals are out there, whether or not you want to wait is up to you. No ban is going to happen on guns so waiting could save you a little coin...magazines are iffy at this point though, IMO.

20. Letric

Letric SW Washington Member

Personal Opinion:

If I had to buy an AR right now, I'd go for an already built rifle. In my current price watching I've seen complete rifles sell for $200-500 less than all the parts for a comparable build. That's for brand new rifles/parts mostly on gunbroker, including s&h.

If I was looking to acquire parts over a few months, and was crafty with my trades and snipes... I could probably build one for about even cost to a complete rifle, maybe slightly under. The problem is getting inexpensive ammo and mags after you build the damn thing. :laugh: