JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
We have been longtime DIRECTV subscribers but have been thinking of getting the Apple TV or similar streaming device. We have been researching but seems that we will end up losing the DVR capability for a couple shows on broadcast networks and also some of the fluff channels that we watch like HGTV, A&E, etc. We know we can get the premium movie channels streamed so that's ok. Wondering if anyone else (or how many) people have killed cable or DTV and what your experiences were.
Thanks!
You may look into Kodi, Ive down loaded it ,you can watch tv shows from networks and premium channels, movies new and old. you can down load direct to computer , or on craiglist they sell firesticks jailbroke with Kodi for your TV if you have hdmi on tv. look it up on youtude.

You may look into Kodi, Ive down loaded it ,you can watch tv shows from networks and premium channels, movies new and old. you can down load direct to computer , or on craiglist they sell firesticks jailbroke with Kodi for your TV if you have hdmi on tv. look it up on youtude.
I use a version of Linux that is stripped down and runs Kodi directly. You can stream content from the Internet, download it or copy your existing media collection to your hard drive. Kodi uses information from websites to add information, fan art, backgrounds, and even trailers.

03.jpg

Kodi can be run from very basic hardware. There's even a $35 computer called Raspberry PI 2 that has full HDMI 1080 video. It can be installed on many operating systems such as OS X, Windows, Linux, Android, Apple TV, iOS, and more.

03.jpg

We are comcast for Internet and they make it cheaper to keep the TV than go all streaming but we tossed the box in the garage for when we move out. We don't use it.

I am not a sports guy so for us streaming is ideal. We binge watch all the time. We have Netflix Amazon prime and Hulu. We have an Amazon Fire TV which is the bomb and an apple tv which is good. Had Riki in the past and it is OK.

we have been off broadcast TV and cable for 7 years and love it.

where I live there is no Broadcast TV signal so I've had satellite TV since the old 10 foot dishes and analog signals where I could dial in 'wild feeds'
I switched to digital for a decade but dumped them when they hit $70 a month. I now get all my feeds off the Net, I still need a dish to hook-up to a server but I have unlimited feeds for $240 less a year;)

I havent had cable in a decade at least. I have a homemade HD antenna for the occasional live broadcast football game and then netflix / amazon prime for movies. I get through about 2 or 3 commercials before I want to smash the TV so they could not pay me to watch cable TV

We dropped cable for about 2 years and lived on Netflix and Amazon PRIME through a Roku on our living room TV. Most first-run TV shows are on each network's website within a week of airing, and we watched them on a big computer monitor in our home office.

But I am a news junkie deep down and I just cannot get any truly breaking news without cable. Football is really tough to watch, too, without paying an arm and a leg for online access.

We went back to Comcast about a year ago.

A lot of Bluray players include access to Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime movies, etc and require nothing more than internet access. It's a pretty easy way to stream content if it supports your needs.

For about 5 years we had only an antenna. The broadcast transmitters were all at least 20 miles away. We got 27 channels in perfect HD digital. I used an older Mac Pro that I upgraded to 2 TB of HD, and 8 GB of RAM. I installed an ElGato EyeTV tuner and software on it that I picked up on eBay for about $75. That allowed me to use it like a DVR and stream the recordings to anywhere in the house via an Apple TV box. We also got Amazon Prime for the Apple TV (which also gave us free shipping on all Amazon items). The only thing I missed was ESPN. I got Game of Thrones and other premium content through iTunes. The thing that made it all possible was that we had decent DSL service, even though we were in the sticks. When we moved to Eugene we found that DSL was unavailable, and so was Comcast. We were stuck with either HugesNet satellite or AT&T cell phone tethering. We tried HughesNet and it totally sucked. We used up their 10 GB monthly data cap in a few days. Streaming on the Apple TV or by any other method was totally impossible. HughesNet was too slow and there was too much latency. After 2 months we told them to take a hike and just dropped back to AT&T tethering. They had a higher data cap for less money. Finally, I got so frustrated with the whole thing I started seriously talking to Comcast about getting their system extended to our location. They said initially that construction cost would be about $6000 and my portion of that would be $2000. I said, "Where do I sign up?"

So they came out and did a new survey for construction and discovered that there were enough new houses in our area that it would pay to put their system in, and they wouldn't have to charge me anything. Yesterday at 3 pm we went live with Comcast at 150 MBPS download, and 35 MPBS upload measured on my equipment. We have the phone and TV with Comcast now also, and I'm loving it. If I ever drop Comcast TV we will still keep the other services and put up an antenna again.

The takeaway here is that HughesNet satellite is an absolute nightmare. They have devised a system that forces you to talk to somebody in India no matter what number you call, and invariably your call will be dropped while they are still apologizing for you having a problem. You'll NEVER talk to anyone who speaks english as a first language unless you don't pay your bill. That's how we finally got them to talk to us. We stopped the automatic payments to them on our credit card, and within a week we had an english speaker on the phone wanting to know what the problem was. These people are completely inflexible, and completely don't care what you think or what you say. Their service sucks and they know it. That's why they try to hide behind a phone tree. Never, EVER do business with HughesNet for any reason. Oh, and did I mention paying $250 to get out of their contract that we never knew we signed?

Last Edited:
Thanks for all the input and sorry for my lack of attention recently to this thread :rolleyes:

A lot of Bluray players include access to Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime movies, etc and require nothing more than internet access. It's a pretty easy way to stream content if it supports your needs.

We have a wifi blu-Ray player now and it's working fine with our Amazon and Netflix accounts but it's the sports junkie in me that is having the hardest time realizing that it's just not as easy as I want it to be. Football season is going to be the hardest but I think I can get by with broadcast games via OTA antenna. We're moving soon so I just won't be signing up again for DTV when we get to Idaho. It's worth a shot and I can use the $125 DTV bill for more important things. :D

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top