JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I picked up a Savage 340 in 22 Hornet and it looks to be a tackdriver, but the Savages use a one piece mount with a 'bridge' that limits scope choices to 1" tubes and no or very little turret housing. I had a 40 year old K-Mart special Bushnell Sportsview that works just fine, but something like a Leupold 4-12x40 AO sure would be sweet! :cool:
Yes, the bridge could be milled or filed, but I would rather not if I can avoid it. The first photo shows the dimension I'm wondering about, followed by the obligatory bragging photos
LeupoldFreedomScope.jpg

The rifle
Savage22Hornet 01.jpg
Savage22Hornet 02.jpg

The 5 shot +/- 60 yard groups shot off the back of my car, the one on the left is the first one, the one on the right is after a sight adjustment. That high shot in the second group is 100% my fault, I was giggling so hard that I biffed the shot :(
Also, those are my FIRST 10 shots through the rifle :D
22HornetGroup.jpg

You also need to look at is that bottom "corner". I put a Freedom on my 340 with a one piece mount and had to get pretty aggressive with the dremel to get it in there. If no body posts dimensions by tomorrow, I'll see if i can properly measure it while mounted.

Sorry I cannot help with the scope dimensions, but having dealt with multiple 340's, I understand the observations you have made regarding scope mounting. (My 340 Hornet has a Weaver variable on it).

You should also view the scoped rifle from the top, and note whether or not it is centered over the bore. Those mounts often place the scope a bit to the left of center.

This is an easy fix: "Mill" the mating surface of the mount down until when attached to the receiver, the scope is centered properly. This I accomplished (on more than one 340) by wrapping a dowel or pipe of the correct diameter (approximating the diameter of the receiver) in sand paper and taking down that mating surface of the mount base until correct (checking often: don't go too far!). It's aluminum, so the process is relatively quick.

Somebody cared about that gun (and it shot so well) that they adorned it with a cheekpiece stock and is that the factory barrel shortened? In the process, they eliminated the "pesky" barrel band some blame for any accuracy issues (never an issue for me, once I learned its purpose and the proper torque for it).

The Savage 340 (in any caliber) might possibly be the most underrated gun for accuracy ever made. My experience is with the Hornet and .30-30's. I can only imagine how a .225 Winchester might shoot.

A GREAT find! Hope you handload for it for full potential!

Whoever had it before me did a halfway decent job of opening the mount a touch, but no idea what scope they were fitting it to. The scope looks centered enough over the bore that I'm not going worry about it, the deflection from the offset isn't going be large enough to worry about the ranges the 22 Hornet is good for or I will be shooting at. Truth be told I was not expecting much better than a shotgun group before I shot it seeing as how the muzzle is . . . well, 'not a target crown' is about as charitable as I can get ;)
And yes! Reloading is in the cards if for no other reason than the 60 or so rounds I managed to find may be ALL I find for a very long time :(

From what I have read, 40 or 45 gr pills, Lil'Gun and Lee Collet dies sound like the place to start for this one

Oh, and if you have any issues with the painted scope take them up with the 19 year old me :rolleyes:

SavageScopeMount (1).jpg
SavageScopeMount (2).jpg
SavageScopeMount (3).jpg
SavageScopeMount (4).jpg
SavageScopeMount (5).jpg

I have a Leupold "rifleman" 3-9x40 and a vx2 3-9x40, can't say for sure if the freedom series will match either of those. I'm sure their website will have the specifications somewhere

I have a Leupold "rifleman" 3-9x40 and a vx2 3-9x40, can't say for sure if the freedom series will match either of those. I'm sure their website will have the specifications somewhere
You would think so, but they don't call that one out on the spec sheet. I could also send them an email I guess
LeupoldDems.jpg

Whoever had it before me did a halfway decent job of opening the mount a touch, but no idea what scope they were fitting it to. The scope looks centered enough over the bore that I'm not going worry about it, the deflection from the offset isn't going be large enough to worry about the ranges the 22 Hornet is good for or I will be shooting at. Truth be told I was not expecting much better than a shotgun group before I shot it seeing as how the muzzle is . . . well, 'not a target crown' is about as charitable as I can get ;)
And yes! Reloading is in the cards if for no other reason than the 60 or so rounds I managed to find may be ALL I find for a very long time :(

From what I have read, 40 or 45 gr pills, Lil'Gun and Lee Collet dies sound like the place to start for this one

Oh, and if you have any issues with the painted scope take them up with the 19 year old me :rolleyes:

View attachment 1195059
View attachment 1195060
View attachment 1195061
View attachment 1195062
View attachment 1195064
Looks pretty darn well centered to me!

Crowning tools are relatively inexpensive (or cheaper to have it crowned by a Smith). Or leave it the heck alone, since it shoots.

You are on the right track with Lil' Gun, but not by my experience. That is the powder a buddy swears by (along with the 35g Sierra).

My recipe is AA1680 powder pushing a 40gr Ballistic Tip. (I buff the plastic to a round nose for magazine fitment). I think the 40 gr bullet is a better all-round weight, and Ballistic Tips don't need a pointy front to shoot well.

My recipe is AA1680 powder pushing a 40gr Ballistic Tip. (I buff the plastic to a round nose for magazine fitment). I think the 40 gr bullet is better all-round weight, and Ballistic Tips don't need a pointy front to shoot well.
When I got it the plan was to get it threaded and a new crown cut, but now I don't want to risk messing with its mojo!

I'll keep an eye out for those bullets & powder, thanks for the tip :s0090:

It wont fit. I recently picked up a 340 in 222 and have the same scope. It does not fit. There is a mount that raised the scope up and it will fit but it will sit really high.

It wont fit. I recently picked up a 340 in 222 and have the same scope. It does not fit. There is a mount that raised the scope up and it will fit but it will sit really high.
The mount on mine was opened up a bit before I got it, it *might* be enough to clear but that's Plan B: Plan A: is to either stick with the scope I have on it now or find an older Leupold scope without the turret housing

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top