JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I found a 3" Bridgeport lnib. With 6 gr of unique, 5gr of 700x or 5 of 231 OT is quite sporty but shoots to point of aim with .431 240 gr lswc. Now, smaller .429 gold dots will yaw past 7 yards. Although some sniff at 44 special ballistics, but they sure wouldn't volunteer to stand in front of one,,,.

Not a Charter Arms, but I have a S&W 696. It is a very similar 5 shot 44 SPC. I've found the recoil and blast to be very mild and accuracy to be very good with my reloads, but I've never fired SD rounds through it. I was shooting 245gr Keith style SWC at about 550fps.

Last Edited:
I've owned a Bulldog 2.5" for several years now. I worked up a few different hand loads using Matt's 250 grain cast lead hollowpoint over Blue Dot, 800-X and SR-4759. At 800 fps the Blue Dot load was quite stout with a lot of burnt powder grains left behind. I backed that load down around 760 fps and it feels a lot milder. The 800-X load is just under 700 fps and quite mild to shoot. From the 20 ounce Bulldog the kick feels less than my 14 ounce -642 with 158 gr. RNL factory loads.

I like the Bulldog but don't carry it much because the Smith J-frame is substantially lighter, slightly smaller, and with decent loads, adequate for the mission.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top