JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So the last time that big mountain blew it's top, in 1980 they said St. Helen's is brewing up some activity. I just lived through the 9.0 Earthquake and Tsunami in Japan. This region of the Ring Of Fire is the only section (including that fault line under Seattle) that's way overdue for a big one. If that were to happen, it would economically cripple the whole state and it's neighbors. I can't image the calamity that would ensue after that. And that ash would head this way. There's still ash all over Central and Eastern WA from 35 years ago. I gotta bad feeling. Call me weird. It's that Japanese Women's intuition. I knew something was off the day of that 9.0 quake. I have been able to experience things only mostly women can do. I'm not a psychic. I don't play into that stuff. I am capable, but that's playing with evil. I always tell people I will not involve myself in that. https://www.openbible.info/topics/volcanoes_in_endtimes

I was close enough to St. Helens the first go round. From Olympia, Capital Mall, I was standing in front of the Ernst store entrance, as it popped it's top. It (may sound strange) was like I was having a dream, on that sunny day. Everyone (to include all employees) come out front of the store to watch, what seemed like a slow motion video, as the plume climbed higher and higher into the sky.

I could go on, but I'm sure most remember the day of awakening.

We watched it from a park near my house in Oregon. It was quite a site for a 5 year old boy (me) and then later that night the black "snow" started to fall. I remember it like it was yesterday.

I remember 1980 too
but
I'm not all that concerned about recent events, just as I am with "the big one is coming." The magma movement is one of the things that helps relieve pressure (and cause sometimes) and has happened many times since 1980. I reckon if anything happens it'll be more like the venting from 2004-08 (that even delayed my flight back from DFW)

No, not even a little.

We might someday see another eruption but we will know well ahead of time, probably have years of warning.

At this point worrying about it is like worrying about the car wreck you might get into...

My dad had a friend taking aerial photos from a plane around the area when St. Helens blew. He gave my dad a few. They are pretty amazing.

Personally I'm more concerned with earthquakes then volcanos.
St Helens I'm not too worried about, but if Adams, Rainier, Hood, Jefferson, or Sisters blew I would be more worried..

But it's always a good idea to keep a stock of drinkable water and some canned food, freeze dried food, and/rice around.

I was close enough to St. Helens the first go round. From Olympia, Capital Mall, I was standing in front of the Ernst store entrance, as it popped it's top. It (may sound strange) was like I was having a dream, on that sunny day. Everyone (to include all employees) come out front of the store to watch, what seemed like a slow motion video, as the plume climbed higher and higher into the sky.

I could go on, but I'm sure most remember the day of awakening.
Dude! That is really eerily apocalyptic. Wow. Still at same time, what a sight to behold that must of been,

No, not even a little.

We might someday see another eruption but we will know well ahead of time, probably have years of warning.

At this point worrying about it is like worrying about the car wreck you might get into...

I'm not worried. I lived through a earthquake –and– tsunami. While scary at the same time, it's amazing what devastation this earth is capable of. To the Earth, we're like a bad case of fleas as the late George Carlin once said. Earthquakes are an everyday thing there in Japan. We just get used to it!

Me and my childhood buddy were riding our BMX's eastbound on SE Holgate Blvd and crossing the I-205 overpass, when I looked to my left and saw the mushroom cloud rising over Mt. St.Helens. We sat there for what seemed hours just watching that mushroom cloud go insanely higher and higher. It's one of the days of my life I specifically remember in vivid detail.

Having said that, I'm more concerned about the ensuing destruction that will surely occur after this election cycle!

Me and my childhood buddy were riding our BMX's eastbound on SE Holgate Blvd and crossing the I-205 overpass, when I looked to my left and saw the mushroom cloud rising over Mt. St.Helens. We sat there for what seemed hours just watching that mushroom cloud go insanely higher and higher. It's one of the days of my life I specifically remember in vivid detail.

Having said that, I'm more concerned about the ensuing destruction that will surely occur after this election cycle!

I got a 1984 Haro Freestyler. A very fast BMX. It's restored and worth about 2,500-3,000 dollars. that Kashimax seat is uncomfortable as all hell. It is the original bike in it's entirety. Of course new tires same as the old ones. with the original Skyway Mag wheels. Love this bike. it's so much fun.
13040910_1173161422702649_8481835505462525975_o.jpg

I had a blue DG (I later had it chromed) w/fluted seat post, Landing Gear forks, Bear-Trap peddles, (blah, blah, blah) and 20" black "Tuffs" similar to yours but the hubs were the sealed version.

I went into the Army @ 17 and sold it to my younger cousin for a fraction of what it was worth, of course it got stolen because the little dummy forgot to lock it up one time.... :rolleyes:

This is an image I just found on the interwebs, it looked super-close to this one... dang, the memories!

image.jpeg

I'm not concerned. For years after the first eruption, which is also a day I will never forget, there have been concerns tossed out from time to time that there might be new activity to worry about. While it could certainly blow again, I don't think this is the time. A lot of pressure was relieved in that 1980 eruption, and based on it's past geologic history, it's probably a good 50-100 years away from another eruption, if there is ever another eruption. Heck, I'd think it's more likely that Mt Hood, which is even closer to me, would be the next to blow its top. That one would concern me much more than St. Helens.

I'm honestly more concerned about the Cascadia Subduction zone causing a massive earthquake in my lifetime. But even that isn't guaranteed to happen anytime soon, just guess work by the science community. I try, for the most part, not to worry myself about such things, but I do take reasonable steps to prepare for them.

The mentioning of BMX bikes got me reminiscing too. My problem, I worked at a bike shop. I always had the latest.
The last bike I got was a Trek ST120. I still have that one in pristine original condition, hanging in a spare bedroom.

I no longer have it, but this was my first must have that I got on my birthday in 1974.

Not "my" bike

Last Edited:
The mentioning of BMX bikes got me reminiscing too. My problem, I worked at a bike shop. I always had the latest.
The last bike I got was a Trek ST120. I still have that one in pristine original condition, hanging in a spare bedroom.

I will NOT go on a Google search for old parts to restore..... I will NOT go on a Google search for old parts to restore.... I will NOT go on a Google search for old parts to restore.... :s0054:

I will NOT go on a Google search for old parts to restore..... I will NOT go on a Google search for old parts to restore.... I will NOT go on a Google search for old parts to restore.... :s0054:

How do we know you won't just use another search engine?? Have you no self-control man? :p

Dude, if I had kept all I had when I was younger, my home would be a museum...LOL
Man, I sure miss my Schwinn Apple Crate and Swinger

Not concerned about St Helens because it's too far east. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that the big earthquake will take out Seattle, Portland and dump the southern part of California into the ocean before the election rolls around.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top