JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
As the title says, looking to see if there are any MP5SD owners on here. Where did you get yours built or converted? What suppressor do you use? Any general ownership tips?

I'm currently shopping for the best builder to convert my SP5. Dakota Tactical is leading the way, but I'm also looking at HiTec (formerly TPM Outfitters), Anubis Arms (Ralph Jr.) and S&H Arms. I like Dakota the most due to price, turnaround, and the fact that they use the new One Cage that takes the standard rubber hand guard as well as M-Lok and B&T.

Thanks!

I'm in the same boat as you. I own the HK SP5 and the B&T suppressor for MP5SD (ordered from arms unlimited, delivered to my local dealer in 5days)

I'm leaning toward Dakota tactical also!

Suppressor link
Nice man! I talked to Joe yesterday and he pretty much sold me. The only little niggle is Curtis at S&H offered to do the conversion for $2k WITH the suppressor. Joe quoted me $2270 ($2000 base + $70 One Cage + $200 new markings + $200 rubber handguard - $200 parts credit). Having talked to both on the phone, I feel like Dakota is the better play. Joe is a stand up guy.

Yeah I missed the boat on those. I messaged the B&T dealers I usually use, and they told me the new version is worth waiting for:

It's modular to three sizes and you can swap between standard and RBS. Then there's also this one on their site:

Not sure if one or both will come to the civilian market. I HOPE the first one does as that's three suppressors in one. I need something to come up soon or I'll have the gun back before the suppressor.

Let me know who you end up going with my man!

As the title says, looking to see if there are any MP5SD owners on here. Where did you get yours built or converted? What suppressor do you use? Any general ownership tips?

I'm currently shopping for the best builder to convert my SP5. Dakota Tactical is leading the way, but I'm also looking at HiTec (formerly TPM Outfitters), Anubis Arms (Ralph Jr.) and S&H Arms. I like Dakota the most due to price, turnaround, and the fact that they use the new One Cage that takes the standard rubber hand guard as well as M-Lok and B&T.

Thanks!
I don't own one but it is on the list. Arms Unlimited just brought in a run of MP5SD's via B&T for the civilian market. https://armsunlimited.com/heckler-koch-hk-sp5sd-suppressed-9mm-semi-auto-pistol/

This will likely be the route I go. What better way to get one than straight from the factory.

I don't own one but it is on the list. Arms Unlimited just brought in a run of MP5SD's via B&T for the civilian market. https://armsunlimited.com/heckler-koch-hk-sp5sd-suppressed-9mm-semi-auto-pistol/

This will likely be the route I go. What better way to get one than straight from the factory.
Yeah I saw those. Definitely a smart move if you want the full package. The part that made me nervous there is it comes with their gen 1 compact suppressor, which means it won't be AS quiet as a full size suppressor. I'd be sold if it came with one of their full size suppressors.

In my case, I already have an SBR SP5, so getting it converted for $2300 is the better move. Total for me would be $5400 not including stamps ($2300 conversion + $2500 SP5 + $600 suppressor). From what I hear about Dakota Tactical, their quality surpasses HK, so I'm OK with them cutting my SP5 up!

Yeah I saw those. Definitely a smart move if you want the full package. The part that made me nervous there is it comes with their gen 1 compact suppressor, which means it won't be AS quiet as a full size suppressor. I'd be sold if it came with one of their full size suppressors.

In my case, I already have an SBR SP5, so getting it converted for $2300 is the better move. Total for me would be $5400 not including stamps ($2300 conversion + $2500 SP5 + $600 suppressor). From what I hear about Dakota Tactical, their quality surpasses HK, so I'm OK with them cutting my SP5 up!
I say do it!!! Only heard good things about Dakota Tactical. If you do go that route, please report back with experience, end result and review. Got an SP5 SBR myself that I would consider sending in.

I say do it!!! Only heard good things about Dakota Tactical. If you do go that route, please report back with experience, end result and review. Got an SP5 SBR myself that I would consider sending in.
Yeah I'm going with him for sure. Just talked to him again as I had a question about remarking an SBR, which he answered. His customer service is top notch, whereas Curtis at S&H took a week to call me back and HiTec just flat out didn't respond.

Yeah I'm going with him for sure. Just talked to him again as I had a question about remarking an SBR, which he answered. His customer service is top notch, whereas Curtis at S&H took a week to call me back and HiTec just flat out didn't respond.
What's the process of remarking the SBR. I registered mine for the free tax stamp (ATF 2021R-08F)

What's the process of remarking the SBR. I registered mine for the free tax stamp (ATF 2021R-08F)
According to him, you can send the ATF a registry update letter indicating the changes (barrel length, overall length, model name). He specified to not "request" an update, but to be very clear in saying "please update the registry with the following info" or something along those lines. He said you'll likely never hear from them, so just keep a copy of the signed letter with your stamp in case challenged.

What did he give for lead time once he receives your SP5? This route is starting to sound much more appealing, along with the modular suppressor.

What did he give for lead time once he receives your SP5? This route is starting to sound much more appealing, along with the modular suppressor.
He said about 8-12 weeks is the average. He's pretty stocked on parts right now, but his backlog is always pretty deep. Pay at the end too, which is nice. A lot of others are pay up front and wait.

Yeah the modular suppressor is really appealing. It's twice the price of other options (vendor I use is charging $1350), but having six combos in the same can seems worth the premium.

I saw those on their site a few days ago i think it was. They were in stock at the time I don' know if they are now. Spendy.

100% agree about straight from the factory. After watching so many various conversions, clones of hk weapons and reviews of Tommy built guns I wouldn't do it personally (I have no knowledge of the conversions mentioned in this thread though). Sd is not for me due to cost. I can get ap5p (MKE sp5k clone made on hk equipment and hk licensed) + ap5 (reg size) + rad9 suppressor and still be $3800 less than the b&t mp5 sd. Absolutely love both the ap5 and ap5p. I don't see the value in the Sd but someone else may feel differently and nothing wrong with that.

Ap5p (SBR)

Similarly you could get ap5p + ap5 + rad 9 suppressor + ptr g3k (w 12 mags) + ptr's new hk 41 roller delayed 5.56 and still have $400 left over for ammo or sbr stamps compared to the b&t sd. That's why I don't see the value personally. But everyone has different preferences so there is no objective right or wrong for everyone, only the subjective right or wrong for the individual person.

Last Edited:
Buddy of mine had one. It was converted to "SD" configuration by a company out of Arizona known as "RDTS" (Red Dog Target Supply). Not sure if they are still in business or not. Fit, finish and function were incredible. Accurate too. I remember that RDTS supplied it with the correct locking piece for the SD (I can't remember the angle, been a while). They also offered a dummy suppressor that would "block off" the ports, and then coupled with a standard locking piece the weapon could be fired, but would NOT be suppressed.

I do remember shooting one day and accuracy took a turn for the worse, for no reason we could identify. We took the suppressor off and removed the rubber handguard. There was a significant amount of carbon/residue built up around the ports and migrating around the OUTSIDE of the barrel. All of that crud was scrapped and scrubbed off. We put the suppressor and handguard back on & fired the weapon. Accuracy was restored. We figured that there was so much buildup on the outside of the barrel that it affected barrel harmonics. You WILL need something to remove carbon/crud from the outside of the barrel.

I can't speak to the newer B&T suppressors, I only ever used the one supplied by RDTS. Having said that, it was STUPID QUITE. Absolutely giggle worthy. An interesting phenomenon that occurred periodically would be getting a "puff" of unburned powder in the suppressor after a string of shots. Took a bit of getting used to, lol!

Due to the integral nature of the suppression system, standard velocity ammo is bled down to subsonic levels. Yes, that does cause terminal ballistic performance issues (if you care about such things), but I can say that it was THE most satisfying suppressed shooting experience I've ever had. Something about the tone, along with the sound of the action cycling. Oh yes, a bit muzzle heavy, but in rapid fire it reminded me of the carnival attraction where you shot out the star (but at 7-10 yards, lol!).

I can unequivocally recommend the MP5 SD not just because it is an icon of the SMG class of weapons, but also because it is just about the most enjoyable suppressed shooting you can experience. Additionally, the look on your friends face after they shoot a mag is priceless!

Hopefully this has been helpful.

Best regards.

WMB

Last Edited:
I had one when I lived in AZ. Best investment ever. Paid $7k for it and sold it 3 years and 50,000+ rounds later for $14k.

That thing was a stupid-quiet bullet hose!

I wouldn't own one now that I have to buy my own ammo!

Buddy of mine had one. It was converted to "SD" configuration by a company out of Arizona known as "RDTS" (Red Dog Target Supply). Not sure if they are still in business or not. Fit, finish and function were incredible. Accurate too. I remember that RDTS supplied it with the correct locking piece for the SD (I can't remember the angle, been a while). They also offered a dummy suppressor that would "block off" the ports, and then coupled with a standard locking piece the weapon could be fired, but would NOT be suppressed.

I do remember shooting one day and accuracy took a turn for the worse, for no reason we could identify. We took the suppressor off and removed the rubber handguard. There was a significant amount of carbon/residue built up around the ports and migrating around the OUTSIDE of the barrel. All of that crud was scrapped and scrubbed off. We put the suppressor and handguard back on & fired the weapon. Accuracy was restored. We figured that there was so much buildup on the outside of the barrel that it affected barrel harmonics. You WILL need something to remove carbon/crud from the outside of the barrel.

I can't speak to the newer B&T suppressors, I only ever used the one supplied by RDTS. Having said that, it was STUPID QUITE. Absolutely giggle worthy. An interesting phenomenon that occurred periodically would be getting a "puff" of unburned powder in the suppressor after a string of shots. Took a bit of getting used to, lol!

Due to the integral nature of the suppression system, standard velocity ammo is bled down to subsonic levels. Yes, that does cause terminal ballistic performance issues (if you care about such things), but I can say that it was THE most satisfying suppressed shooting experience I've ever had. Something about the tone, along with the sound of the action cycling. Oh yes, a bit muzzle heavy, but in rapid fire it reminded me of the carnival attraction where you shot out the star (but at 7-10 yards, lol!).

I can unequivocally recommend the MP5 SD not just because it is an icon of the SMG class of weapons, but also because it is just about the most enjoyable suppressed shooting you can experience. Additionally, the look on your friends face after they shoot a mag is priceless!

Hopefully this has been helpful.

Best regards.

WMB
Yeah RDTS is Ralph Sr., who is a legend when it comes to anything MP5 or HK for that matter. His son Ralph Jr. does them as well and gave me a pretty solid quote, but his timeline was many months longer than Dakota.

I have a few other SD guns so I'm definitely familiar with the need for increased cleaning. HK recommends a special barrel brush too that fits inside the handguard and over the barrel. I aim to clean my other ones every 500 ish rounds depending on what I'm shooting. If you don't, the ports build up and suddenly your quiet SD gun starts getting much louder!

Thanks!

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR