JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Please provide details...........

I've done it in another thread. Basically, as a novice reloader and teaching myself about 10 years ago, I read the beam scale wrong and instead of 10.5 grains of powder, put 15 grains in.

In the glock 29. The round fired, it kicked more than any handgun I've ever fired. Split the case in half in the chamber, magazine came out of the gun and my hand was sore. I used a leatherman to pull the other half of the case out of the chamber. Otherwise things were alright.

Having the proper amount of powder is important.

I've done it in another thread. Basically, as a novice reloader and teaching myself about 10 years ago, I read the beam scale wrong and instead of 10.5 grains of powder, put 15 grains in.

In the glock 29. The round fired, it kicked more than any handgun I've ever fired. Split the case in half in the chamber, magazine came out of the gun and my hand was sore. I used a leatherman to pull the other half of the case out of the chamber. Otherwise things were alright.

Thank You! As a re-loader myself, I have always feared the KB!

I have built into my reloading routine many redundant checks to avoid such a thing.

One of my most useful tools is using powders like blue dot, that make it virtually impossible to over charge because 10.5 grains almost fills up the case. Powders like titegroup are just the opposite - a double plus charge waiting to happen. KA-BOOM!

P.S. In a G29? OUCH! That's a beating with mild loads!

Thank You! As a re-loader myself, I have always feared the KB!

I have built into my reloading routine many redundant checks to avoid such a thing.

One of my most useful tools is using powders like blue dot, that make it virtually impossible to over charge because 10.5 grains almost fills up the case. Powders like titegroup are just the opposite - a double plus charge waiting to happen. KA-BOOM!

Yes - Had I had a thimble fulls worth of experience I would have not made that mistake. Thankfully I learned from it without suffering serious injury.

I've always liked using a powder that uses most of the capacity of a case and this ^^^ is just one of the good reasons.
A double charge will be an instant reminder that I fouled up with powder flowing all over the press.

Well, I pulled about a 100 S & B cases, sized them and found three to have very pronounced grooves on the inside at about the height of my split case and a fine line on the outside of the case at the same location.

Hoping this was just a fluke given the few I found with the grooves.

Well, I pulled about a 100 S & B cases, sized them and found three to have very pronounced grooves on the inside at about the height of my split case and a fine line on the outside of the case at the same location.

Hoping this was just a fluke given the few I found with the grooves.
Damn.

Update...

I loaded up about 20 of the pulled S & B brass and went shooting Sunday (when I nailed the Mango beer can!) And all brass ejected, with no splits until I dumped the brass out of my wet tumbler and found this!

So it held together enough to be ejected but then fell apart in the tumbler.

So I'm thinking of pulling the rest of the S & B brass and trashing it.

IMG_2574[1].JPG

Only shoot 357 out of my Rossi 92 and have had that kind of separation twice out of about 2,100 rounds through the rifle. Each time it happened was at ejection.

At least 7 reloads for each piece of brass; I reload to full loads using AA#5. Brass started as all new Starline.

After the second time I checked each piece of brass even more carefully (magnifier) and tossed a handful of pieces based upon what looked like a line (very, very faint) developing in that area.

That's just crazy! The only S&B range pickup I've ever seen has been 9mm. And the only thing with them is the brass is very stiff to size/decap. And primers are harder to seat. At one time i started sorting S&B 9mm out because I had so much other, easier, brass to process.

After the second time I checked each piece of brass even more carefully (magnifier) and tossed a handful of pieces based upon what looked like a line (very, very faint) developing in that area.
Yea, I am looking at the brass now and seeing several pieces with a faint line in the same area as well so out they will go. A couple of them with the line may already be starting to crack as I can feel it with a dental pick on the inside of them. I'll load the last few I have and let them fly and leave them for the brass scroungers !

Odd thing is in my many years of shooting .357 levers this is the first I have ever experienced splits like this and then only on S & B brass.

Yea, I am looking at the brass now and seeing several pieces with a faint line in the same area as well so out they will go. A couple of them with the line may already be starting to crack as I can feel it with a dental pick on the inside of them. I'll load the last few I have and let them fly and leave them for the brass scroungers !

Odd thing is in my many years of shooting .357 levers this is the first I have ever experienced splits like this and then only on S & B brass.

Presume these are your reloads? Fired in the same gun? How many loads? Did you buy the S&B .357 round new? Probably been asked already but, could their be something in your chamber doing this?

Presume these are your reloads? Fired in the same gun? How many loads? Did you buy the S&B .357 round new? Probably been asked already but, could their be something in your chamber doing this?

- Yes my reloads, and low end as well

- Yes - same gun. Henry BBB.

- Don't know on number of loads as these were range pickup but I suspect they - were one time new since they WERE left and they had a very 'new appearance' - virtually no nicks or dents in the rims from multiple loads and firings which brass will get from multiple loadings and shooting.

I'm not going to concern myself with it too much given the 1000s of rounds I have shot out of this rifle this happened suddenly and with the same brand of brass and from the same 'lot' I found.

Last Edited:
- Yes my reloads, and low end as well

- Yes - same gun. Henry BBB.

- Don't know on number of loads as these were range pickup but I suspect they - were one time new since they WERE left and they had a very 'new appearance' - virtually no nicks or dents in the rims from multiple loads and firings which brass will get from multiple loadings and shooting.

I'm not going to concern myself with it too much given the 1000s of rounds I have shot out of this rifle this happened suddenly and with the
same brand of brass and from the same 'lot' I found.

Well, we do know S&B brass to be somewhat peculiar.. I know there is other brass that has a dotted type line around it. Seems to be where the base of the bullets sits in new factory loaded ammo. Not so low a line as you have though.

This is why whatever caliber I am reloading I use a flashlight to check power level in each case while in the reloading block before capping with a bullet.

.357, light reload, shot out of my Henry BBB rifle.

View attachment 822383

View attachment 822383
Never in my many .357 revolvers, but in my .351 which uses reformed .357 brass I get a nasty split once in awhile that goes darn near base to mouth. I assume the chamber is a bit loose. No particular brass though it's very random and rare. I don't get escaping gas but it sounds different upon report. If you aren't getting blow by into your face I wouldn't be too concerned. Maybe that brand doesn't like your chamber dimensions.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top