JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hater. And yes i own and like my 185 series Mini-14 Ranch, and no it's not meant to be a "tack driver" it's meant to be a reliable utility semi auto rifle, i never have any problems with mine that wasn't over gassed related aka throwing brass a "country mile".

Nope, not a hater. Just not my thing. Glad yours works for you! :)

Well i was kinda being facetious about "hater" there Kruel J, but like another member posted most folks whom talk trash about the Minis have absolutely no first hand experience with them.

Nah you're good. I do have first hand experience, and it wasn't great.

At least the A-10 is reliable. :)

I've heard lots of complaints about the Mini, but reliability wasn't one of them. What exactly are you referring to? As to esthetics, of the Mini AND the A-10, that's another case of beauty being in the eye of the beer holder, I think they both look cool :cool:.

So far, mine is proving quite acceptable. With the rail and RDS, I can hold around 2" at 50 yards, and plinking tin cans at 100 is no problem. And that's using factory ammo or some hand loads I had left over from my AR's. Only have a couple hundred rounds through it so far, but it's been flawless. As this is one of the earlier iterations, it throws brass almost straight up, instead of into the next county, sideways. A little disconcerting to have hot brass raining down on you, but that's only an issue if I'm shooting under a roof. Out in the open, it goes mostly up and just a little to the right. Upside, collecting my brass is pretty easy :D. It's currently wearing the Choate folding stock, which my wife summed up nicely when I showed it to her; "That's UGLY!". The wood stock is much nicer looking, in both our opinions, just not as efficient from a tactical standpoint. LOP is kind of short, too, but I have a solution to that on the way. Stumbled across a stock extension that replaces the factory butt plate and adds an inch to the LOP, that should be about perfect. Now I just need to decide on a sling and how to mount it, the factory setup really doesn't work with a 30 round mag installed.

All in all, I'd have to say not too shabby for a 40 year old rifle. For my needs, it's plenty accurate enough, and I might get some improvement in that department with hand loads. As to the rest of it, I like the look and feel better than the AR pattern rifles, so I'd have to say that for me, it's all good. Thanks for all the comments and suggestions.

Dave