JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just picked up a 181 series in trade, only put 50 rounds through it so far, but I think I'm really going to like this little rifle. Actually always wanted a Mini vs. an AR, but went with the AR because of the bad press about Mini accuracy. No question, it's not as accurate as my AR's were, but it's plenty accurate enough for my needs. But I could use some suggestions on a couple of things.

First, sights. I struggle with any kind of iron sight on a rifle under the best of circumstances, but for some reason, this one is even worse. Front sight acquisition is a challenge, and the rear is so wide, i can't maintain any kind of peripheral vision.

Second is the stock, LOP and drop combine to make it tough just to get my head down enough to align the sight. I have a Choate folder that came with it, it's better, but I prefer the look of the wood stock, and I kind of want to avoid the tactical look.

I'm looking at the Tech sight, seems like a more user friendly unit than OEM, but I don't know that it would actually fix my issues. The other option would be some kind of RDS, but mounting looks either challenging, expensive, or both, not to mention the cost of the RDS itself. I'm also concerned about acquisition of the dot, as it would have to be mounted pretty far forward. Then there's the question of type, tube or reflex.

I've already installed a strut, the trigger is actually better than I expected, may look at smoothing it out a bit, but I can easily live with it as is. This will really just be a glorified plinker, so I really don't want to drop a ton of money into it. Anyway, any suggestions ya'll might have on any of the above would be much appreciated. Later.

Dave

I have the newer 582 series Mini 14. It is the LE Tactical model and I love it!

07591D57-9F69-4835-922A-AB18A65DEF3F.jpeg

I have Tech Sights on my Mini Tactical and they're a huge improvement & well worth the money. The newer models are definitely more accurate, but they're all solid and dependable.

I've had a bunch of Minis over the years and they're excellent rifles for field and brush. Enjoy your new Mini.

Last Edited:
The Mini is the #1 gun folks love to hate. And especially by folks who've never shot one.:D I never understood that, as I've been an owner of many over the years and they do exactly what they're designed to do, and they do it well.

We prefer the mini over the AR. Word to the wise. Stick with the Ruger mags. I have not found an aftermarket one that works worth a crap. Only bummer about the mini is the mag price. They run about $25-$30 if I recall.

edit: looks like the mags are $30-$40 these days :(

Last Edited:
We prefer the mini over the AR. Word to the wise. Stick with the Ruger mags. I have not found an aftermarket one that works worth a crap. Only bummer about the mini is the mag price. They run about $25-$30 if I recall.

Hey @Angie, you might give another look at Tapco mags.

We've had reasonably decent results using "gen 1" of them...if charged less. 25 seems about rite so far.

Supposedly their current version is improved. Mixed reviews, however mostly positive.

Might be worth a look at $20 and under/mag for range/plinking use until you can prove them in (or not).

I got lucky, the LGS that I do my transfers at had a box full of Ruger 10 rounders on sale at 30% off, ended up getting 4 for just over $25 each :cool:. As I tend to prefer 10 round mags for general use, this was a definite win for me, I might have to go grab some more before they're all gone. The rifle came to me with 1 5 and 2 30 round Ruger mags, as well as 4 more no name 30's. I'll stick to the factory Ruger mags, but will run some rounds through the no-names just to function check. If they check out, I'll keep them in reserve, but will most likely use the 10 round mags the vast majority of the time. Later.

Dave

So since my Mini is almost 40 years old and I have no idea of it's history, I decided to order some service type parts for it, as well as a gas bushing kit. One of the springs I ordered is an extra power recoil spring, but now that I've been thinking about it, I'm second guessing that decision. Yes, it should slow down the op rod/bolt assembly on the extraction cycle, thus (hopefully) reducing some of the slam bang, but what about going back into battery? Is the extra spring force going to cause issues in the other direction? I know some folks use shock buffers to help soften things, but I lost any desire to use them after having issues with a 1911. So would I be better off sticking with the factory spring and focus on a smaller gas bushing, or will I be okay with the heavier spring?

And on the subject of the gas system, I noticed that the gas pipe is a loose fit in the op rod. In an AR, the equivalent piece has sealing rings on it. Is the lack of sealing rings in the Mini what makes the gas piston self cleaning? Of course, the Mini also has MUCH looser tolerances than an AR, I was kind of shaking my head the first time I took this thing apart. The Mini seems much cruder in comparison.

Final question, for those that have changed out gas bushings, what size seems to work best? From what I've been reading, most seem to go for the .045 as the best balance of consistent function while reducing all the slam bang. Or is this going to be one of those things that really is gun specific, based on variables like ammo choice, gun wear, and shooting style. Can't think of anything else (for now ;)). Later, and thanks.

Dave

Yes the heavy recoil spring will react with more force going into battery. I don't hinknit will damage anything but it will cause the gun to dip down when the bolt goes home . I haven't done it to a mini but it just applies to all semi autos with a recoil spring .
I have a mini the age of yours . The gas bushing is lose . It designed that way . But I don't know of the part with sealing rings you compare on an AR , bolt tail is the only place for sealing rings , if you mean gas tube and gas key junction , it's not sealed either. It has a flare for a good fit but it's not a seal .
As far as bushing size . If you feel it is over gassed hopefully you have a stock size one to try out as well . They erode into a bigger hole like most gas ports ,likely the stock size will run the biggest variety of ammo reliably . Getting it tuned down to a soft shooter like a tuned AR will make it quite possably unreliable with a bit of ammo .

Just picked up a 181 series in trade, only put 50 rounds through it so far, but I think I'm really going to like this little rifle. Actually always wanted a Mini vs. an AR, but went with the AR because of the bad press about Mini accuracy. No question, it's not as accurate as my AR's were, but it's plenty accurate enough for my needs. But I could use some suggestions on a couple of things.

First, sights. I struggle with any kind of iron sight on a rifle under the best of circumstances, but for some reason, this one is even worse. Front sight acquisition is a challenge, and the rear is so wide, i can't maintain any kind of peripheral vision.

Second is the stock, LOP and drop combine to make it tough just to get my head down enough to align the sight. I have a Choate folder that came with it, it's better, but I prefer the look of the wood stock, and I kind of want to avoid the tactical look.

I'm looking at the Tech sight, seems like a more user friendly unit than OEM, but I don't know that it would actually fix my issues. The other option would be some kind of RDS, but mounting looks either challenging, expensive, or both, not to mention the cost of the RDS itself. I'm also concerned about acquisition of the dot, as it would have to be mounted pretty far forward. Then there's the question of type, tube or reflex.

I've already installed a strut, the trigger is actually better than I expected, may look at smoothing it out a bit, but I can easily live with it as is. This will really just be a glorified plinker, so I really don't want to drop a ton of money into it. Anyway, any suggestions ya'll might have on any of the above would be much appreciated. Later.

Dave

I love shooting my Mini, no it isn't the most accurate thing in the world, yes the mags are expensive, but it's reliable, and I have always like the garand style action.

If yours is a ranch rifle then 100% put a RDS or tech sights on it, big difference. I have Tech sights on mine.

I put a .040 bushing in mine, I only shoot brass cased ammo, factory federal or mostly my handloads. if you shoot wolf or something you might want more gas, just play with it. It does reduce the slam bang, and brass only flies 30 feet instead of 60:p The only rifle I've fired with a more violent ejection is an HK style roller delayed.

Buy new bolts for the gas block, the factory ones are staked in place and if you re-use them you will tear up the threads in the gas block.