JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So, I waited too long to get a Glock 23 last week. Had been waiting and playing with several Glock models. I settled with the 23 for fit, pointability, knockdown power and reliability. I have seen that there is a .22 conversion kit for a fairly reasonable price. Have any of you used one of these? How are they for shooting alot of ammo down the tube? Any major complaints?

Also, to get this in here, I am looking for a CCW holster, but not sure yet where I want to carry. I am tall and narrow. Thinking on in the wb at 8-9 o'clock. I have looked at teh sparks holsters, but they are 26-30 weeks out right now.

Picked my 23 up with factory night sights, 3 mags for 569 at a local dealer here in Marion county... Looking forward to having some fun getting used to it!!!!!!!:gun10:

I have the advantage arms model for my 17. Works great and I would highly recommend it. Stay away from the Ceiner model. :s0159:

Good advice.:s0155:

But I will step off the cliff and recommend you buy a nice 22 pistol like the Ruger and forget the expensive conversion. A waste of money in my opinion. Not meant to flame other members or their opinions, its just my experience.

In the majority of cases it sits in the gun safe and is never used much after your first few times playing with it. When we go to the range or outdoors shooting we take several firearms and a good 22 is not that expensive to purchase. Its the training piece for our children and wifes in many cases and they will use that gun while you play with the larger calibers.

We have new 3rd gen G23s with the differential night sights-amber front, green rear, 6 jillion mags of every capacity

You know a used reloading press, scale and dies could be obtained for the price of a conversion kit.. learn to cast your own lead bullet loads (I use Lee Tumble lube molds) and you can shoot for not much more than .22 LR prices.. and get the real feel of shooting your caliber. You'll need to use jacketed bullet loads (The TMJ bulk bullets are pretty cheap) until you can get a Wolff aftermarket barrel to shoot the lead bullets, as Glock factory + Lead bullets is a no-no

We have new 3rd gen G23s with the differential night sights-amber front, green rear, 6 jillion mags of every capacity

You know a used reloading press, scale and dies could be obtained for the price of a conversion kit.. learn to cast your own lead bullet loads (I use Lee Tumble lube molds) and you can shoot for not much more than .22 LR prices.. and get the real feel of shooting your caliber. You'll need to use jacketed bullet loads (The TMJ bulk bullets are pretty cheap) until you can get a Wolff aftermarket barrel to shoot the lead bullets, as Glock factory + Lead bullets is a no-no

Thanks for the pointer about the lead bullets. The guy at the counter had enough foresight to let me in on it. Got some blazer brass ammo for plinking and some hornady 180 gr xtp for defense rounds.

I find the conversion kits very useful, many of my service pistols have a kit, and I like the Advantage Arms units for the Glocks. If your goal is to gain proficiency with a particular pistol, they are a good tool. If your goal is just cheap shooting, then a regular .22 pistol might be a good, as it never hurts to have more guns. The Glock however, is very easy to convert so having a dedicated .22 is not such a big deal with them.

When I teach a complete newbie, I often have them fire the regular caliber for a couple of rounds. Then I switch to the .22 at which point they really appreciate the difference in muzzle blast and are a lot more enthused about it. After teaching them some basic skills, we go back to the full caliber and teach them how to handle the recoil and noise. That way I don't have to teach them everything at once.

If you are just going to plink a ruger mk2 or browning buckmark is a good way to go. If you want to train with your Glock the conversion kit is the way to go. I had a really nice 22/45 that I sold to buy my conversion kit, but I was getting back into completive shooting and needed the conversion.

My goal is to train with the Glock. From what I have read and seen, live fire practice is the way to go. I am amazed at how well the 23 points for me. The sights are flat when it comes up to full draw. I want to try to have this action become second nature. The cost isn't that bad, but if I put 500-700 rounds the tube, I would rather be shooting cheap ammo. I have had the MKII Ruger, and the MKIII looks pretty sweet. I may have to get one as well. The boy loves plinking withy his .22s. I also want the wife to be comfortable handling and shooting this...

Thanks for the pointer about the lead bullets. The guy at the counter had enough foresight to let me in on it. Got some blazer brass ammo for plinking and some hornady 180 gr xtp for defense rounds.

You can often get your lead from tire stores in the form of wheelweights.. perfect alloy ready to cast up

With the short barrel of the G23 I prefer the Speer 155 grain Gold Dots for self defense.. the 165s are good, too

If you're going to get into bullet casting...watch out for the wheel weights. They are using a lead substitute for some of the weights, so you'll have to sort them first.

True, I think it's a zinc alloy, but they do look different

BTW zinc can be used for bullet casting on it's own, but cannot ever be mixed with lead. Zinc is much lighter and a lot harder than lead alloys

I have an advantage 22 conversion for my 17 and it's great ! Very accurate , dependable , and enjoyable to shoot . Lots of practice at very low cost . I've even shot my conversion in our league rimfire competition . I recently acquired a witness 45 and it came with a conversion , haven't fired it yet , I'll let you know .

I have two G17s. The Advantage Arms conversion stays on one of them all the time since we regularly go to the 22 indoor range at the gun club. Have had it a few months now. Love it! For break-in I used CCI mini mags (Remington Golden Bullets jammed occasionally at first). I was lucky, and was able to get one at MSRP a couple of weeks after I decided to buy one. What I did was sign up for "in stock" e-mail alerts with several online merchants. Soon as I got word they were in I ordered it (company was sold out in about 3 hours).

Those e-mail alerts are good if you are lucky enough to be at the computer when they send them out. Tried to do the same with primers through Midway. Midway told me once they send the "in stock" alerts out you have about a minute or two before they sell out.

I have the advantage arms model for my 17. Works great and I would highly recommend it. Stay away from the Ceiner model. :s0159:

I have an AA on my G17 and works like a champ. Keep it lightly lubed for the break in. These have tight tolerances and will start sticking after 200 to 300 rds. Advantage arms are HQ'd in the peoples republic of Kali so they only sell 10 rd mags.

I haven't read all the posts so this might have been mentioned already, but after you shoot 2000 rounds of .22 you will have paid for the kit.

SF-

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top