JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Douglas Ridge Rifle Club is hosting two Appleseed events this fall Sept 8/9 and Nov 10/11.

2012 Eagle Creek, OR Appleseed Information

If you're unfamiliar with Appleseed it's a very family friendly setting where you learn all of the fundamentals of good marksmanship with a strong dose of American history.

This is an excellent opportunity to introduce significant others/kids to firearms.

"We do ask a few things up front. Please do not bring side arms (concealed or open) to the Appleseed firing lines. We ask that you leave them in your car. Also, please leave your rifles in your car until your instructors ask you to retrieve them. We appreciate your understanding and cooperation concerning these items."

Leave my concealed in the car, really? Seems a bit off... If I wont shop at a place that will not let me support my second amendment rights? Why would I attend an event that promotes shooting, but not my second amendment? I don't mean to be difficult, but I find this a conflict of statements...

Anyone here actually attend one before? This is close by for me and I've been wanting to check it out. The "what to bring" page says they recommend .22LR in "semi auto" with 4 magazines. I have a new Henry .22LR Lever Action, is that going to be a logistical problem? I think it holds 15 rounds but will obviously take longer to reload than those with the magazines. I don't mind being a bit slower and missing a few rotations but if it's gonna be a major issue I might have to buy another gun :>)

"We do ask a few things up front. Please do not bring side arms (concealed or open) to the Appleseed firing lines. We ask that you leave them in your car. Also, please leave your rifles in your car until your instructors ask you to retrieve them. We appreciate your understanding and cooperation concerning these items."

Leave my concealed in the car, really? Seems a bit off... If I wont shop at a place that will not let me support my second amendment rights? Why would I attend an event that promotes shooting, but not my second amendment? I don't mean to be difficult, but I find this a conflict of statements...

Appleseed is very much about promoting liberty and has no qualms about your choice to carry or how you choose to do it. On a firing line with 30 people and lots of movement from standing to prone it is practical to ask you not carry on the firing line. Most competitions I have been to ask the same thing of you.

Appleseed also provides it's own liability coverage for all events. My guess is this is a part of the requirements for that insurance.

I hope you can see past this to give Appleseed a try.

Anyone here actually attend one before? This is close by for me and I've been wanting to check it out. The "what to bring" page says they recommend .22LR in "semi auto" with 4 magazines. I have a new Henry .22LR Lever Action, is that going to be a logistical problem? I think it holds 15 rounds but will obviously take longer to reload than those with the magazines. I don't mind being a bit slower and missing a few rotations but if it's gonna be a major issue I might have to buy another gun :>)

Ideal is a mag fed semi auto w/GI style sling like a 10/22 or a 597; however, bring what you have. It will be more difficult to shoot a rifleman score with a lever action but it can be done and you will still gain a lot of information about marksmanship through the experience.

Typically 2 mags is enough. There are some optional drills that use more but most shooting is done with 2 mags.

Hope to see you out there.

Ideal is a mag fed semi auto w/GI style sling like a 10/22 or a 597; however, bring what you have. It will be more difficult to shoot a rifleman score with a lever action but it can be done and you will still gain a lot of information about marksmanship through the experience.

Typically 2 mags is enough. There are some optional drills that use more but most shooting is done with 2 mags.

Maybe I should clarify further also: They ask that you bring 2 rifles, 1ea .22 caliber and 1ea center fire rifle. I meet the criteria for the second item having a .223 (auto) w/ sling and extra mags, and if I look real hard :s0131: can probably come up with 500 rounds to bring along.

Thanks for replies.

Maybe I should clarify further also: They ask that you bring 2 rifles, 1ea .22 caliber and 1ea center fire rifle. I meet the criteria for the second item having a .223 (auto) w/ sling and extra mags, and if I look real hard :s0131: can probably come up with 500 rounds to bring along.

Thanks for replies.

Most of the shooting is done at 25y with sized targets that simulate what a 24" target would look like at 100, 200, 300 and 400 yards. We also typically shoot 350+ rounds in a weekend so a .22 is economical and allows you to foucs on the fundamentals without having to deal with recoil. That said, you can shoot any rifle that is safe to shoot and meets the host range requirements (in DRRC's case up to but not inculding .50).

I shot a 10/22 on Sat and then an AR on Sun. When I went back for another weekend I went back to the 10/22.

Rollling around on your belly and changing shooting positions can be uncomfortable with or without a holster on...for crissakes, if the need arises, you'll be armed with a long gun already!

I carry an XD 9 AIWB everytime I leave this house except when I go to work (the Dept. of Corrections really frowns on taking guns in prisons.....lol). I attended the Appleseed in Redmond Ore. on July 14-15 and had the time of my life! I shot approximately 200 rounds through my 10/22 from the prone position. It really woulda sucked having the XD jabbin me the whole time. The Appleseed is vigorous! You will be transitioning from standing to prone to fire 10 shots (with a mag change) in 60 (?) seconds a bunch of times! I would have never been able to keep the XD concealed!!!....My girlfriend and I were hot, sweaty and tired by the end of the day but I would do it again in a heartbeat! I hope to make the Nov date at DRRC.! Leave the handgun in the car (you won't be far away) and bring a 10/22 with some Tech Sights and have a good time. You will learn a bunch about yourself as a Marksman, Sharpshooter or a Rifleman and you will get a great history lesson about who we owe for the freedoms we enjoy today..!!........my .02......

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top