JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just me being annoyed. Need to share in my self wallowing.

Stud finder finds studs. Not anything else.

I knew I should have cut a hole first to look.

I was too happy with the spot to take the necessary exploratory cut.

Don't be me.

6CC60639-116C-4278-9DF1-7DC992FFB48D.jpeg 88439C62-5171-41AC-B49F-119766C371A8.jpeg 72CFA84F-9310-40D3-92BD-1EBE3E006935.jpeg

I use a strong magnet, find the screws or nails, and connect the dots to find studs. Stud finders suck and are the reason for so many extra holes being drilled when I was trying to mount my TV to the wall. Never again!

Good luck with your project I HATE drywall work.

I use a strong magnet, find the screws or nails, and connect the dots to find studs. Stud finders suck and are the reason for so many extra holes being drilled when I was trying to mount my TV to the wall. Never again!

Good luck with your project I HATE drywall work.

I actually enjoy drywall patching.

The piece I cut fits back in nicely. It's a clean cut. A bit of sanding and tape followed by some texturing and paint and it will disappear.

Just annoying as I really liked the location inside the pantry.

This was going to be my CCW safe where I'd store my handgun more securely and readily accessible than back and forth from the big safe.

What did you use to cut the hole that you didn't notice the stud or pipe in the middle?

Don't tape it...

Screw a backer 1x4 so there is something to screw the peice you removed too and just put a little joint compound in the crack where the saw went and paint over it when it's dry.

At least that's what I normally do.

Now's the time to put an emergency (and very cheep) firearm in a air tight bag with descant into the wall before you seal it back up. No one will find it and pretty easy to punch a hole in the wall if you need it.

Now's the time to put an emergency (and very cheep) firearm in a air tight bag with descant into the wall before you seal it back up. No one will find it and pretty easy to punch a hole in the wall if you need it.
We were avoiding mentioning that so nobody knew where to look...

What did you use to cut the hole that you didn't notice the stud or pipe in the middle?

Don't tape it...

Screw a backer 1x4 so there is something to screw the peice you removed too and just put a little joint compound in the crack where the saw went and paint over it when it's dry.

At least that's what I normally do.

Shallow dry wall knife. Never put more than 2" of the knife in. Didn't feel a thing.

I thought about the usual backer and filler, but this is a fairly big piece.

Not a horrible idea.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads