JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
BEND — Warm Springs police say a 5-year-old boy fatally shot himself last week.
Police Chief Carmen Smith told Bend station KTVZ that Corbin Ike and his brother were with a baby sitter last Thursday night and began playing with their father’s gun safe.

Quantcast

Smith says the safe had an electronic lock, but the boys somehow punched in the right code to open it. The 5-year-old took out a loaded handgun and accidentally shot himself in the head.

Information from: KTVZ-TV, http://www.ktvz.com/

This sounds like someone thought technology would substitute for education.
If the parents hadn't had the safe they would probably have spent more time teaching the kid about guns, and lowered his curiosity level in the process.
Failure to plan is planning to fail.
Sad and tragic indeed. :(

This sounds like someone thought technology would substitute for education.
If the parents hadn't had the safe they would probably have spent more time teaching the kid about guns, and lowered his curiosity level in the process.
Failure to plan is planning to fail.
Sad and tragic indeed. :(

+1 I taught my son from an early age what guns were and what they were capable of. The guns were always locked in the cabinet. He could look at them any time as long as he came and got Dad. The first thing I would do is go over the four rules with him and then show him how to make sure any gun he wanted to look at was unloaded. I would show him how to unload them until he was old enough that I felt comfortable with him doing it himself and then I would watch him check them.

It only takes on mistake to make a memory you will have to take to the grave with you.

Cougfan, this is exactly what my parents did. They never had a gunsafe for it, just had a shotgun in between the waterbed mattress and the frame, and the other guns put away in a closet or cabinet somewhere. They would let me shoot them with them when I was little, they would let me look at them too as long as I asked them.
They even got me started by buying me my first BB gun at the age of 5, a nice crossman that is still used today to shoo off varmits.
A good education is the best thing you can do to protect your children from accidental firearms discharge. Remember, The only safety that really matters, is the one between your ears

This is exactly why I educate and keep the guns locked up. Tragic indeed and the parents will have to live with there bad choices. Your kids are never to young to learn safety! Don't just keep them locked up. Out of sight out of mind does not work.

I have a combination safe probably much like this one. Used to keep one in the chamber until I had a nightmare about my four year old guessing the combo. Now I keep the chamber clear, he is not strong enough to pull the slide back. I let him sit at the table when I clean the guns after shooting and let him hold them if he wants to, though for some reason he never wants to. When he was two I brought out my hunting rifle and he pointed at it and said "Owy". No idea how he knew, but I liked the reaction.

Man! Unlike so many other stories we've heard lately. This was just a tragic accident.

But where the heck was the babysitter???? Making out with the boyfriend?
When I was a kid I actually had a babysitter have her BF come over and lock my brother and I out of the house at night. No wonder I'm afraid of the dark.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top