JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My understanding of the laws in Washington State is that if I want to leave a gun in a locked car, say like if I'm going to go in a bar, I have to have the gun unloaded and locked in one location - like in a lock box under the seat and cabled to the seat track, and the magazine locked in another location - like the glove box.

My question is, would it be legal to just lock up the gun and shove the magazine in my pocket?

My understanding of the laws in Washington State is that if I want to leave a gun in a locked car, say like if I'm going to go in a bar, I have to have the gun unloaded and locked in one location - like in a lock box under the seat and cabled to the seat track, and the magazine locked in another location - like the glove box.

My question is, would it be legal to just lock up the gun and shove the magazine in my pocket?

Okay, I found my answer. Other than interstate travel, the only place ammunition is mentioned specifically is that ammunition is not permitted in Foster Homes, Group Homes, and Shelters; none of which have yet to become high on my "go to" list.

Best thing to do is just get your WA CPL (permit). Then you can keep a loaded hand gun. As for how to do it under the seat is probably the first place a thief will look. Now of course if it's locked it slows them down. If the car has an alarm with a remote that will help. If you can put a way to lock it up someplace else even better. One big warning here. Stopping at some watering hole and then trying to hide a gun is something to be careful of. Make sure someone watching is not seeing what you are doing. Needles to say if you are drinking and are over the limit to drive you also DO NOT want to get caught carrying.

Thanks Alex, I've had my CWP for quite some time now. The question is, what does one do if one is carrying, and wants to go into a jazz club or something?

I've now had a total of 4 car break-ins in the Greater Seattle area, but NONE since abiding by the simple rule of never leaving anything visible in the car that has a pawn shop value of much more than about $5. I've had that lock box cabled under my seat for quite some time with no issues, but I haven't been using it either.

But you bring up a good point, and I would probably stop somewhere along the way to stow it, such as to not attract any unwanted attention.

Thanks Alex, I've had my CWP for quite some time now. The question is, what does one do if one is carrying, and wants to go into a jazz club or something?

I've now had a total of 4 car break-ins in the Greater Seattle area, but NONE since abiding by the simple rule of never leaving anything visible in the car that has a pawn shop value of much more than about $5. I've had that lock box cabled under my seat for quite some time with no issues, but I haven't been using it either.

But you bring up a good point, and I would probably stop somewhere along the way to stow it, such as to not attract any unwanted attention.
If you have a CPL you may leave the pistol loaded out of sight and just lock your vehicle.

Since you have a CPL you can keep it loaded. There is of course no law against taking the mag out and taking that with you. You can't keep a loaded long gun in the car here but the hand gun is fine. Of course always a good idea to not have anything to attract the break in. One of the worst is anything that looks like it might be a computer. Lot's of break ins are caused by any kind of bag that looks like it might be a computer.

Two radar detectors, an old leather jacket, and a pair of Porsche Design sunglasses left on the center console. The car was also rifled through when they took the sunglasses, and they found my cell phone in the glovebox. IF You're Washington State, I suggest you review the concealed carry laws about carrying a loaded handgun in your car. It has to be on your person.

Two radar detectors, an old leather jacket, and a pair of Porsche Design sunglasses left on the center console. The car was also rifled through when they took the sunglasses, and they found my cell phone in the glovebox. IF You're Washington State, I suggest you review the concealed carry laws about carrying a loaded handgun in your car. It has to be on your person.

"RCW 9.41.050
Carrying firearms.

(1)(a) Except in the person's place of abode or fixed place of business, a person shall not carry a pistol concealed on his or her person without a license to carry a concealed pistol.
(b) Every licensee shall have his or her concealed pistol license in his or her immediate possession at all times that he or she is required by this section to have a concealed pistol license and shall display the same upon demand to any police officer or to any other person when and if required by law to do so. Any violation of this subsection (1)(b) shall be a class 1 civil infraction under chapter 7.80 RCW and shall be punished accordingly pursuant to chapter 7.80 RCW and the infraction rules for courts of limited jurisdiction.
(2)(a) A person shall not carry or place a loaded pistol in any vehicle unless the person has a license to carry a concealed pistol and: (i) The pistol is on the licensee's person, (ii) the licensee is within the vehicle at all times that the pistol is there, or (iii) the licensee is away from the vehicle and the pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle.
(b) A violation of this subsection is a misdemeanor.
(3)(a) A person at least eighteen years of age who is in possession of an unloaded pistol shall not leave the unloaded pistol in a vehicle unless the unloaded pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle.
(4) Nothing in this section permits the possession of firearms illegal to possess under state or federal law."

See highlighted text for emphasis. The 'OR' before (iii) means that (i), (ii), and (iii) are separate conditions. You do not have to have the loaded pistol on your person.

"RCW 9.41.050
Carrying firearms.

(1)(a) Except in the person's place of abode or fixed place of business, a person shall not carry a pistol concealed on his or her person without a license to carry a concealed pistol.
(b) Every licensee shall have his or her concealed pistol license in his or her immediate possession at all times that he or she is required by this section to have a concealed pistol license and shall display the same upon demand to any police officer or to any other person when and if required by law to do so. Any violation of this subsection (1)(b) shall be a class 1 civil infraction under chapter 7.80 RCW and shall be punished accordingly pursuant to chapter 7.80 RCW and the infraction rules for courts of limited jurisdiction.
(2)(a) A person shall not carry or place a loaded pistol in any vehicle unless the person has a license to carry a concealed pistol and: (i) The pistol is on the licensee's person, (ii) the licensee is within the vehicle at all times that the pistol is there, or (iii) the licensee is away from the vehicle and the pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle.
(3)(a) A person at least eighteen years of age who is in possession of an unloaded pistol shall not leave the unloaded pistol in a vehicle unless the unloaded pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle.
(4) Nothing in this section permits the possession of firearms illegal to possess under state or federal law."

See highlighted text for emphasis. The 'OR' before (iii) means that (i), (ii), and (iii) are separate conditions. You do not have to have the loaded pistol on your person.
There's still a lot of "confusion" on this from word of mouth. Long ago one of the larger jurisdictions was citing people who had a CPL and a gun in the car. Claiming they had to have the gun on their person. It was bogus but took a while to get beat back. Now many still think it's still like that.

You do not have to have the loaded pistol on your person.
In that you are correct. But the RCW does state that it must be within your "immediate possession" and that has been defined as meaning you have to be able to reach the Gun while remaining Fully upright in your seat. Putting the Gun under your seat is NOT considered to meet that requirement. Neither is the Glove Box unless it's close enough to be properly reached. Etc., etc., etc.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

In that you are correct. But the RCW does state that it must be within your "immediate possession" and that has been defined as meaning you have to be able to reach the Gun while remaining Fully upright in your seat. Putting the Gun under your seat is NOT considered to meet that requirement. Neither is the Glove Box unless it's close enough to be properly reached. Etc., etc., etc.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Where in the RCW does it state that that the pistol must be within your "immediate possession"? I only see "immediate possession" verbiage in reference to your license (CPL).

Where in the RCW does it state that that the pistol must be within your "immediate possession"? I only see "immediate possession" verbiage in reference to your license (CPL).
Do you really think that they're talking about the CPL? I will suggest you don't try to Sell that idea to a LEO or to a Judge.

Do you really think that they're talking about the CPL? I will suggest you don't try to Sell that idea to a LEO or to a Judge.

I do. Again, please indicate where in RCW 9.41.050 it states that the loaded pistol must be within your "immediate possession".

Guy as often happens this becomes a huge waste of effort. People will for some reason make stuff up. As in the thread about taxation on transfers. Stating something as fact then when asked say they can't find it but expect all to believe them experts. You have the same here. Law was clearly quoted so others tell you it says something else. Then of course they can't show you where this extra info is. So they argue just to argue. Law is clear. Go with that and don't waste time with someone who wants to insist they know better.

"RCW 9.41.050
Carrying firearms.

I apologize for stirring things up a bit here, and thanks all for setting me straight on the legalities of leaving a locked gun in an automobile in Washington State. In trying to find where I got my flawed information, all I could find were other occasions where someone had the same belief I did, and others correcting them.

The above quote from the RCW makes the actual law crystal clear.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top