JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reminded me of the "hobo stove" we made in Cub Scouts, out of a metal 3 lb coffee can. By far the worst hamburger I have ever eaten.

When I was in Cub Scouts I remember making a charcoal help by taking coffee can and using a can opener. You would make some holes and put the charcoal in the coffee can. You added fire starter but the charcoal would heat up faster with the coffee can. You would use some tongs to take the coffee can off then spread the charcoal round and to some BBQing.

Reminded me of the "hobo stove" we made in Cub Scouts, out of a metal 3 lb coffee can. By far the worst hamburger I have ever eaten.
We made those in 4-H! We took a piece of bread, cut the center out, buttered it, then put it on the can and cracked an egg in the middle. Toast and a fried egg in one.

If you make one of these make sure the cross bolts are not coated with zinc or galvanization. Their use could lead to some nasty poisonings. Plain steel would be best. It would rust like crazy but be cheap and easy to replace.

Last Edited:
Looks like a waste of a purfictly good ammo can to me. What I have is a small stainless steel mess kit and a stainless steel coffee pot to heat water in.

Here in Portland we have the bums and their shopping cart grills. Push it down the sidewalk by day, tip it over and roast your vittles by night.

Another NWFA member posted this just the other day, but it seems appropo here. Justin Johnson pickin' a 3 strong ammo can playing Skynards Gimme Back my Bullets. BTW, he makes a 3 string shovel he sells to the public.

My dad started the charcoal using a piece of stove pipe. He made spacers to let the air into the bottom by screwing three short pieces of window curtain rail to the sides extending about an inch below the bottom of the pipe. They made tripod legs.

He put a piece of baling wire across two holes in the top of the pipe so he could lift it off using the poker.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top