JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Ok, so a few years ago I bought a 1000 rounds of ammo for my ar-15. I shot some and put the rest in a ziplock bag in a sealed ammo tote. I did not write down any info on it.
It looks to be stamped. Lc 11

im sure it's lake city

I I'm assuming it's 556 because the stamp?

not sure the grain?
Any help would be appreciated

F89CE9D5-A00C-41F9-9F91-DB9B28F6B1D7.jpeg 9E367712-6B8A-4511-AA44-9DDFD8FDC15A.jpeg

Looks like the 11 means it was made in 2011.

If you send it to me, I will gladly shoot it all and chrono each one and let you know what they are (were). :cool:
Kidding aside, the headstamp is identical to Federal M193 55gr 5.56x45mm Lake City. Most likely sold as XM193 which are the same as military issue M193 but rejected by DOD for whatever their reason du-jour. Good ammo! That is what I run in my AR's for all my sport shooting.

If I am incorrect please let me know.
I have never seen factory LC brass with silver primers.That's not to say they don't or won't work. Just my 2 cents...
If you really want to know pull one down.

From the marks/scuffs on the bullet, it looks like factory pull-downs. The cartridge was disassembled and reloaded. The primer and end also looks funky. Could be the photo. A better picture would help.

Much better pictures. The ends look good, but not sealed (red ring) like most Lake City ammo. What is the date range? 11 = 2011. I willl have to loo through a lot of boxes to see if the ever used silver primers.
I truly appreciate your help, no need to go through boxes. I'm going to load some mags and see how they do at the range.

I just went through several lots of federal and LC 223 and 5.56 and they all had brass colored primers. The lot of LC11 that I have had a purple sealant around the primer (as did other lots). A couple of other things I noticed:

1) You're brass appeared clean. All LC 5.56 brass that I have seen in the military and civilian side has a dirty look to it. AND you can tell that it has been annealed. If yours is shiny then it's probably a factory reload.

2) One of your pieces of brass has a LC 04 on it. If you looked through baggy and found multiple years represented than that would also be an Indication that it is a factory reload.

If your end goal is to find out if it is a 55gr or 62gr bullet and we assume that it is a factory reload, then put a magnet to it. Odds are if it is not magnetic it's a 55gr bullet. If it is magnetic then it's probably a 62gr.

If you want a 100% answer than you'd have to pull the bullet and weigh it.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top