Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!
  1. Northwest Firearms

Northwest Firearms Pacific Northwest Site Maintenance

Albany Rifle and Pistol Club Discussion

2. Ballistic

Ballistic Salem, Oregon Active Member

It's really a good club. My only complaint is that they just banned steel cored ammo. As a Mosin Nagant owner, this is a problem. I complained to the Executive Board and gave logical arguments why this ban would accomplish nothing. They didn't have the courtesy to respond:mad:.

3. mr1911

mr1911 Oregon New Member

It's a great place to shoot, my understanding was that some jerk shot up some expensive steel plate targets on their pistol range with what looked like surplus 7.62 armor peircing ammo, thus the ban.

4. Ballistic

Ballistic Salem, Oregon Active Member

Yes, they showed me the plate. It had two different sized holes. I pointed out how almost any centerfire rifle could shoot through a pistol plate at 50 feet. So why pick on steel core ammo?

I also pointed out that if someone is willing to break range rules by destroying the equipment, banning steel cored ammo is hardly going to stop that. All they've accomplished is to punish the members who follow the rules.

I even likened their logic to the one used by the anti-gun lobby.
    Anti-gun: "Get rid of guns and you'll get rid of gun related crimes."
    Pro-gun: "Criminals don't obey the law. They'll still have guns. A ban only punishes the law abiding citizen."
    Their logic is the same.

They also couldn't care less.:mad:

5. robctwo

robctwo rural North Albany Member

I joined ARPC a few years ago. They have been making improvements to the rifle and pistol ranges every year. We now have a 100 and 200 yd rifle range on the main range. Most of the pistol bays have metal three sided covers and concrete floors. The trap range seems to get a good amount of use, but I'm not shooting shotgun right now.

I shoot speed steel and bowling pins. Very relaxed level of competition. Reasonable price, with ability to work off some of the cost if you have the time.

6. mr1911

mr1911 Oregon New Member

What do you shoot for pins?

I went to a pin match and kind of sabotaged myself, I was faster than my oponents knocking the pins down, but since I had only brought low power target wadcutters I had a hard time getting them off the table with my .45 acp 1911 vs the big magnum revolvers.

Next time I'll bring full power ball ammo.

7. robctwo

robctwo rural North Albany Member

The .45 I use is 230 gr ball over 5.7 Universal OAL 1.25. The big magnum guys are so irritated with us .45 guys that the new rule is we can only load 6 in our mags. They also moved the tables back a few yards, but the 1.5" Baer doesn't mind. I can also bring three mags or more to the line and mag change speed is becoming part of the competition.

One of the good shooters brought his magnum revolver out a few months ago. He quickly went and got the 1911 after seeing how things were shaking down. That's not to say that a great revolver shooter will not be right there in the competition, especially if good with the speed loaders.

8. branchbuster

branchbuster Albany Active Member

I have been a member for a few years and really enjoy it. I refer to it as cheap therapy. It has been at least a year since I shot bowling pins usually use 44mag, if you do your part you have one shot left over. By the way HOT 300gr rounds throw the pins about 6 feet off the table! I tried 45 but prefer 44.

9. C96

C96 Mid Willamette Valley New Member

I've been a member of ARPC for about twenty five years. We've come a long way.

10. mrsaturn7085

mrsaturn7085 Beaverton, OR Member

Became a member last year. Since then I've moved and it's around a 1.5 hour drive for me now. I probably will not renew my membership but if it weren't for the distance, I would in a heartbeat. Very well maintained range. If they ever get the 600yd range built I wouldn't mind the long drive either!

11. dleavitt

dleavitt Salem, OR New Member

Very nice facility and nice people. They just finished purchasing the land necessary to put in 1000-yard and 600-yard ranges, but still working on the funds for construction. They estimated 5-10 years.

12. Guilty

Guilty Salem, Oregon Active Member

I would rate ARPC a "5" if there were more weekend days without competitive events hogging up the various ranges 3 out of 4 weekends per month. I still manage to get my shooting fix almost whenever I want, but I have to really watch the event calendar to plan my range trips. Sometimes when I want to shoot rifles, I end up having to shoot handguns and vice versa.