JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Does anyone here know the arc of a 762X39 round, as it relates to the zero of the rifle?

Here is a video in which the zero of a 556 round is being discussed. Someone (maybe the man in the video) has worked out the arc of the round, and where it will hit at various distances, given a particular zero.

I'm hoping this kind of information is also available for the AK. So far, I'm not finding it online - so I thought I'd ask here.

Look up AK47 ballistics chart and hit images:

803CBC54-8F1C-459E-B47F-AAC3CD351852.jpeg

Here's a video where the AK is zeroed at 100 yards.

I think I'll spend some time finding out what works best for me after the fire season is over. The farm is too dry to be shooting here just now.

I use a 50/100 zero at the "1" setting. Actually about an inch high at 50/100, as the AK rear sight is graduated in meters. This is very close to the 30-30 150 gr if memory serves.

For iron sights this works well enough.

Just added a Red Dot back onto my mini 30 chambered in 7.62x39 of course. I zeroed the round at 25ish yards at a 1.5x1.5 square. When I could put x3 rounds in a row within that square I called the mini 30 zeroed. I immediately went to the 300 yard range and rang the gong way down there like a hunchback church bell ringer. No offense - LOL its a book and a 1950's scary movie. Gave the rifle to my wife and she did same. :eek: Loving those ballistic charts. 25/300 This was with Tulammo as well. Then, just for fun, I shot a friend's 454 Casull. Shot the heck out of the 25 yard dirt berm! :s0114: Could only afford to pay for 8 rounds ... :confused:

Just added a Red Dot back onto my mini 30 chambered in 7.62x39 of course. I zeroed the round at 25ish yards at a 1.5x1.5 square. When I could put x3 rounds in a row within that square I called the mini 30 zeroed. I immediately went to the 300 yard range and rang the gong way down there like a hunchback church bell ringer. No offense - LOL its a book and a 1950's scary movie. Gave the rifle to my wife and she did same. :eek: Loving those ballistic charts. 25/300 This was with Tulammo as well. Then, just for fun, I shot a friend's 454 Casull. Shot the heck out of the 25 yard dirt berm! :s0114: Could only afford to pay for 8 rounds ... :confused:

Thanks. I'll have to give that a shot.

No offense taken re: the hunchback. I loved the Pink Panther movie where Peter Sellers had a hunchback costume.

I started by looking at the trajectory graphs of the 7.62x39 round. For me the 25yd zero was what I wanted as I could place the red dot right on at 300 yards and hit what I was aiming at. My AK is zeroed with iron sights the same way. I have seen several utube vids demonstrating the Russian method of zeroing the AK. Very similar to 25/300 'cept in meters. Find what works for you, keep it simple and enjoy the results :D For me it has been all about the round and not necessarily the rifle. Make the rifle shoot the round. The rest is just mathematics...and a very steady hold :s0114: Do a search for 7.62x39 ballistic tables. LOTS out there.

Last Edited:
I have many ballistic calculators that cover just about all of my calibers/ammo. Depending on how much room that I have to shoot is how I determine what POA to use on the target to get a center POI at 200 yards or farther depending on caliber. Most times I end up starting between 25 - 50 yards and then find a range or pit with at least 100 yards.

I took my MAK90 out of its box at a 100 yard range without touching anything and ended up about one inch high average for five shots. I haven't touched the elevation or windage since. I figured that it was close enough for my needs. I am mounting a 4x prismatic sight on it, so I will have to print out some ballistic charts. I don't think that I can get that lucky twice.

I normally use the Ballistic calculator That I got with my Hawke Optic. Here is one that I was playing with for 5.56x45 62 grain. Once you plug in the data, you get a spreadsheet and graph. I am not sure why the drift isn't listed, but it is another data input. If you have all of the data correct, it is very accurate and will put the correct BC, MV and Profile data in if the bullet is listed in the database.. There are many more out there similar.

Tab Name = .223/5.56
Projectile = Lake City Green Point
Cal = 0.223 Inch
WT = 62.00 Grain
BC = 0.2000
Profile = GA
MV = 3000 (Ft/s)
ZR = 100 (Yard)
SH = 2.00 (Inch)
AmbT = 15.0 (deg C)
AmbP = 29.92 ("Hg)
Incline = 0 (deg)