JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I got a Bulgarian AK 74 parts kit from another member and ive decided that I want a finished receiver. My question is this; Is there a local seller for ak receivers? Id rather buy local as opposed to ordering and paying an ffl transfer.
Thanks,
Benihaus

At this point, none have original barrels, so pretty much pick your flavor. Many different features based on county of origin. I have built or at least worked on them all, and they all go together about the same. Triangle folders have a rivet that can be tricky to get to depending on your tools. Use ak builder rivets for sure, they always squish nicely. If you have further questions feel free to ask

At this point, none have original barrels, so pretty much pick your flavor. Many different features based on county of origin. I have built or at least worked on them all, and they all go together about the same. Triangle folders have a rivet that can be tricky to get to depending on your tools. Use ak builder rivets for sure, they always squish nicely. If you have further questions feel free to ask

Spent last night trying to find some good instructions but could not find a whole tutorial start to finish. Definitely seems more involved than an AR build. Pretty much every kit I've seen has a destroyed receiver and you have to press the barrel out of it and into the new receiver so I'd need some new tools. Are there kits that dont have the decommissioned imported receiver to tear a part? Or 100% US made parts kits?

It is also unclear if the parts kits Im seeing have the right number of US made parts to fit the ATF rules on building one (what is it, at most 10 foreign parts?). That was confusing as well.

If you use a US trigger group, US barrel, receiver, and muzzle brake your in the clear. You only need 6 US parts. There are many kits that are demilled already. Look up apex gun parts, arms America, and AK-builder. AK-builder sells kits with US barrels already installed, which may appeal to first time builders.

These builds are very much more involved than an AR. New tooling would be required. I made all my own tooling, so it is not as complicated as some may make it out to be. If you have access to a welder and a drill press or a mill you can make all the tools required. If you like I can take a few pictures of my tooling to give you an idea.

If you use a US trigger group, US barrel, receiver, and muzzle brake your in the clear. You only need 6 US parts. There are many kits that are demilled already. Look up apex gun parts, arms America, and AK-builder. AK-builder sells kits with US barrels already installed, which may appeal to first time builders.

These builds are very much more involved than an AR. New tooling would be required. I made all my own tooling, so it is not as complicated as some may make it out to be. If you have access to a welder and a drill press or a mill you can make all the tools required. If you like I can take a few pictures of my tooling to give you an idea.

Cool thanks. I think one with a barrel installed would be a good one to do first.

Im looking forward to building mine, I got it from another member and he stated that it was a Bulgarian Barrel (Bulgarian kit), but from what ppl seem to be saying, that seems very unlikely. My kit needs more than I had expected (front sight, muzzle device, trigger, firing pin, receiver, rivet set, plum pistol grip, cleaning rod.... o and my rear sight block is cracked) so its probably gonna to be parts collecting for a bit, but it should be a great companion rifle to my SLR95 when done!

I'm not sure how someone can crack a rear sight block, but if the barrel is not original, and the previous owner attempted to populate the barrel (headspace, install RSB, FSB and GB), I'd get it checked out by someone with experience in building AKs. Just sounds like a questionable kit.

Sounds like someone cannibalized a kit and passed it along to the unsuspecting. There should have been full disclosure from the seller even if it meant a phone call explaining in detail what the kit was, why the parts were missing and how/where to find replacements. I hate seeing n00bz taken advantage of.

The block is cracked on the band that wraps the barrel. I should have done more homework on what I was getting into, the kit was offered as a trade and it sounded great. The other member seemed like a pretty nice guy, but he certainly misrepresented the kit (said it only needed trigger, muzzle device, and receiver.

Hey would either of you guys be interested in taking a peek at this kit to tell me if its worth completing? Id be more than happy to come to you (if you are somewhat near lol) and at your convenience.
I don't have a big problem collecting parts and spending some money (I know, there are probably better deals out there but, Im this far already.) But if there isnt much of worth in this kit then I should probably look at buying a new kit.
Thanks for all the info
Ben.

BTW the other member is an good guy, he replied to a convo with his apology and states that this was his first kit also, and knew about as much as I did (again a bit misrepresented but certainly forgivable.)

Not trying to thread jack but I'm about to do my first build if hopefully many. We should share info during our builds. I've done tons of research and watched every ak build video on YouTube. I would check some of those out.

Got the 63d Hungarian under folder from apex and the Nodak, and nitride barrel from Arms of America. Got it demilled.. Next step is obtaining rivet tools and a press.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top