JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I went shooting with a buddy today, as he had been complained about some problems with his new AK. When he began shooting it, 1 or 2 rounds would fire, then the bolt would not completely return to battery. This happened consistently, and I don't remember him getting off more than 3 rounds without a malfunction.

I have never owned a rifle, so forgive me if I am not getting the terminology right, but I was able to see that the extractor was not allowing the bolt to fully return to battery. The extractor would land on the back of the cartridge, but would not make it past the lip of the brass. Just by a visual of the end of the bolt, it seems like the extractor is set too far toward the center. The extractor is chamferred with a bevel to help it move over the cartridge lip, but I can tell by the wear on the edges of the extractor that the lip of the cartridge is often hitting the flat face of the extractor rather than contacting the bevel. I hope that explaination makes. sense:(

Whats a good fix for the problem? Should the extractor be replaced, or can it be 'tuned' as with a 1911?

Thanks for the help!

Great thing about AKs is that they don't have the head-space/timing as ARs do. I'd say "tweek away!" But I (like most everyone here) would probably want to see the problem firsthand to diagnose it ourselves.

If the bolt isn't grabbing on to the end of the cartridge before it stops, there might be many things wrong with the rifle- and it might not even be the extractor. My first impression would actually be to check the recoil spring in the receiver to make sure it's sending that bolt home with as much force as possible. After that, take it apart and make sure nothing is slowing the bolt assembly down at all...are there any burs in the gas tube? What about the slide serrations above the sear? Clean it all up and run your finger on the metal to metal contacts to insure nothing is slowing down the normal cycle of the weapon.

YFZ-

I am not the end all "know it all guy" but I have been around AK's and might be able to help in person if your friends schedule and mine can sync. If nothing else I can post pics to help with the solution.

SF-

I'm still trying to gather info from the owner of the gun... but just to clarify, it is a Century arms distributed yugoslavian gun.

EDIT- Yugo under folder, Century Arms m70 ab2t with g2 trigger

I've had a few Century's some work and some didn't. I've sent the two I had problems with back for repair and both times they came back fine...it does cost the shipping and time though.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top