JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Any opinions on if the Aguila powderless 22 would be enough to easily kill a possum or racoon? Their website says "Perfect for hunting and target shooting at close range"... I'm not certain I want to find out it isn't so perfect at "close range"...

20grains at 420fps/8 ft lbs... at the muzzle.

http://www.aguilaammo.com/rimfire/
NO. 1B222337

126-22-colibri-50-1B222337_FINAL-merged1.jpg

I have used this round to dispatch a possum.
It worked fine. I shot just were the head meets the spine.
I used my H&R 649 revolver with a 5 1/2 barrel.
Not sure if I would use this round for hunting , but it seems good for backyard pests , where one might need to be on the "stealthy" side for the neighbors sake ...
It is very quiet out of this revolver , I have shot louder air guns.
Not sure of the new boxes , but mine has a warning not to use with rifles , 'cause the bullet might not clear the barrel.
Andy

Last Edited:
Interesting. I may need to get a few for the backyard pests. nice thing is that, if needed, I could get off a quick follow-up shot, something I can't do quickly with an air gun.

I have used this round to dispatch a possum.
It worked fine. I shot just were the head meets the spine.
I used my H&R 649 revolver with a 5 1/2 barrel.
Not sure if I would use this round for hunting , but it seems good for backyard pests , where one might need to be "stealthy" side for the neighbors sake ...
It is very quiet out of this revolver , I have shot louder air guns.
Not sure of the new boxes , but mine has a warning not to use with rifles , 'cause the bullet might not clear the barrel.
Andy

Just before I got to your post I thought, "What if it doesn't clear the barrel of a rifle?" I have a Mossberg with a 26" barrel!:eek:

I know it wouldn't cycle an auto loader, but would it feed, manually, from a .22lr magazine? I can't tell what its length is from the photo.
I have subsonic rounds that are as quiet as my air rifle out of the 26" Mossberg.

Last Edited:
I wouldn't bet on using one of those on raccoons, if you're talking about Urban-tough large-as-dogs raccoons like there are in downtown Seattle. Those things are tough, fast, and fearless.

If you can wrangle a .22 suppressor, a segmented CCI in a bolt-action with low-power scope and at least a 5-round magazine would be my first choice (since I am fortunate enough to have such a thing).

If you do take after one of the Gangsta raccoons, make sure you have a clear avenue of retreat because those things scare me. I once emptied a 6-shot Crossman CO2 .22 pellet gun onto one from 6, then 5, then 4 feet way, and it never stopped advancing.

I went inside and got my Mossberg 500 12Ga. but by the time I got outside the thing was gone.

1-2.jpg

must be a perfect shot for sure. make sure you have a big knife with you when you find out it didn't finish the job lol
I used CCI quiets, 710FPS in a 21" savage bolt with no issues. still won't cycle an auto.

A little extra info on this ammo at Midway:

* rounds are actually slightly shorter than a 22 long, even though they are marketed as .22lr
* they specifically say on the Midway site that these are only for pistols, not rifles
* they are powered by the primer charge only

Could be fun for garage shooting too I imagine, with the proper backstop.

Lol! Yes! Urban Raccoons are scary! They definitely are not afraid of you! They are also subject to rabies. Only time I ever put one down I used a .38spl. I'm a baaad boy!:)

Having hunted many a raccoon in my misspent youth , I agree used a "full power" .22 lr on these guys.
( "full power" .22 dosen't mean a AR 15 for all you smart alec's out there LOL)
But for dispatching birds mauled by cats or in my case a possum as well it did fine.
Andy

Oh and technically you are supposed to have a furtakers license in Oregon to deal with raccoons...not sure if there is some kind of 'destructive' loophole or not...

Could be fun for garage shooting too I imagine, with the proper backstop.
yes, it turns out they are super quiet I might have to build an actual backstop now. :D They wont cycle a semi and have to be hand fed since they are too small for the magazine.

had a coon a couple summers ago and last night a possum so I decided to see how these work. They were in stock at my local Sportsmans, I may have to go back today and see if they have more.

Oh and technically you are supposed to have a furtakers license in Oregon to deal with raccoons...not sure if there is some kind of 'destructive' loophole or not...
Yes - even if you are putting one of them out of their misery after getting hit by a car. You must either have the license, or sit around waiting for some authority to show up to do it themselves. Same goes for a number of animals in that category.

And yet, you see them all the time dead in the middle of the road. :rolleyes:

I'm going to have to give these a close look. Back in my youth, we used the old Remington sub sonics and 23 to 26 in barrel rifles. This set up was about as quiet as you could get. My old Winchester mod 52 was so quiet the only thing you could hear was the primer strike and the bullet smack! We would sit on the front porch and Snipe the Nutria or Coons that would come up from the river. Talk about pissed off and tough, those Nutria are mean critters. Head shots on those dudes was the only way to make sure you didn't get into trouble! It's funny, we didn't really have to worry about being quiet, but if you touched off something bigger, you better have good reason or you got your hide tanned!

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top