JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Does anyone have any thoughts on the collapsable stocks from Knox, ATI, Mesa Tactical for a HD setup.

I have a 590a1 and want to get a new stock possibly collapsable, would really like some kind of recoil reduction.

I have researched and heard knox is great if you like getting smacked in the cheek, but haven't really heard much else about the others.

I used a knoxx recoil reducing stock for about four years but have gone back to oem style with a shortened speedfeedII. I like the weight savings. The Mesa side saddle well go next, eventually I well have only a light added to the base 870pm.

ATI products are usually cheap feeling (I hesitate to use the word "junk", but it's close). The Knox stocks are cool but try one first to see if you like it. They don't work for me because I like a shorter LOP and the gun WILL hit my cheek. I've never used the Mesa stocks so I can't vouch for them.

Why do you want a collapsible stock? Why not just a shorter solid stock?

Problem I have found with most of the collapsable stocks is they are generally too long to use in any but the shortest position. This really defeats the use of a collapsable especially when there are much better fixed stocks out there.

I have a Knoxx and love it. The recoil reduction is nice! I went through a shotgun course with it and shot 100rds of 00 buck, 100 bird, and 50 slugs. After all this, my shoulder felt just fine. I ran the same course before I installed the stock and I was hurting for a couple days, lol. I do admit, I wish the LOP was a bit shorter.

To answer why I want a collapsible stock, I am not sure I want a collapsable stock.
Right now I am torn between the Mesa Tactical collapsable (add the recoil reduction later), the Knox collapsable and the Speedfeed IV Non-collapsable.
Pros/cons:
Mesa: Pros; Can upgrade, machined aluminium, great reputation, no fit problems with 590A1 Cons: Expensive
Knox: Pros: Inexpensive, fits well, established performer, recoil reduction Cons: Reputation of cheek slap, reported fit problems (gaps) from some users
Speedfeed IV: Pros: Good reputation, inexpensive Cons: No recoil reduction, reported fit problems (gaps)

Only bad fits I've ever seen came from ATI. I've personally found that most to all stock makes have the same or tighter tolerance then factory. I've also found that more often then not, poor fit comes from bubba being in a hurry to get the stock on and blast away

Does anyone have any thoughts on the collapsable stocks from Knox, ATI, Mesa Tactical for a HD setup.

I have a 590a1 and want to get a new stock possibly collapsable, would really like some kind of recoil reduction.

I have researched and heard knox is great if you like getting smacked in the cheek, but haven't really heard much else about the others.

Since you are looking at putting this on a Mossberg I will chime in. Apparently the GenII has a problem on the Mossberg models. Be cautious if you get a Gen II because it was scary when this one came apart. I also don’t think they are built as nice , as strong or reduce felt recoil any more than the GenI.I wouldn’t doubt broken ones on Remington’s as well because they did away with some material so they could fit rubber inserts in the grip.

Couple shots comparing my GenI Metal on the Gen I replaced with plastic.

Gen I

Gen II

Thanks everyone for the advice! I called Mesa Tactical, spoke to a very nice lady and am pretty sure I am going with a Mesa Tactical LEO kit and will add the recoil reduction later when I can save more cash.

Ordered a MESA Tactical LEO for my Mossberg 590a1 today from Botach.com, pretty good customer service once I got through on the phone to check availability. Once installed and shot, I'll post a range review.

I guess I was the only one not happy with the Knoxx stock on my Mossberg. The recoil reduction they claim is pure bullbubblegum to me. Sure it may reduce it a bit but nothing so great that justifies the price.

Ok, so here is the report as promised without pictures (camera went tango uniform last week).
Odering shipping and customer service:
Ordered from BoTach arrived in three days even before the card was charged. Price was one of the best out there.
Installation:
Installtion was a breeze, no modifications or weird fittings, instructions were pretty clear. You will need to remove your old stock and it will probably need a longer phillips head than "normal".
Fitt/looks:
Pretty damn nice and does shorten overall length by about 3-4" when collapsed.
Ergonomics:
I like the increased options for sling attachments, I went with a SK industries 2 point sling and it is very nice and again has multiple attachement options from tacticool to old school.
Accesability of controls, I do not like the reach required for the slide release, cumbersome and will require some training before it is second nature. The safety was easily manipulated. Trigger pull was nice from the ergonomic Hogue pistol grip.
Shooting
other than the slide release, it shot like a dream, accuracy was better with off-hand groups (slugs) at 50 yards less than 6 inches. Recoil was tamed by a limb saver (saving money for the recoil tube), at the risk of sounding like a wuss I would not want to shoot magnums without some form of recoil reduction.
Overall impression:
Very good quality and fit, doesnt feel cheap. Improves versatility. The shotgun "feels" more stable shooting. Ergonomics leave something to be desired, but this is my issue and it might not carry over to the the next shooter. I would reccommend this for anyone who is looking to change from a fixed stock.
Hope this helps the next person down the road.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top