JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Looking for something to shoot coyote within a couple hundred yards and less. ATN has some I was looking at and their marketing screen shots mask decent but I haven't seen many accrual user reviews of them.

Any thoughts, recommendations or suggestions?

Digital Shooting . is the only affordable route, if not wanting to dive-in head first with the wallet-$ .
Digital Scope, You are shooting ... but then you have the problem of 'spotting' in the dark . And Holding up and panning rifle around for an hour is a REAL bad idea for efficiency , plus it sucks doing that.
You got 3 things to concentrate on . ( Calling, Spotting, Shooting ) . Spotting/scanning is the most important critical of the 3 . with Spot/scan being 90% time spent when hunting at night .

I bought a Sightmark Wraith to see what they were all about and while it had some cool features like 1 shot zero and recording capability, the damn sight picture was so grainy at distance that I sold it. Battery drain was an issue as well. From what I recall I was only able to get a couple hours use out of a set of batteries.

Don't know what "affordable" means to you, but the Sionyx Aurora might be worth a look. Some folks even run these as NVGs. You have some lag with these, unlike PSV-14s, but if you're just spotting or shooting from a rest, that shouldn't be much of a concern.

I went with a sightmark wraith HD, seems ok for the money, the IR light they send sucks over 75yds so plan on buying a good one at time of purchase

20211129_171209.jpg

Thermal or NV, each has good and bad. For a thermal there's 320 vs 640 resolution, then objective size.

Look into the nv/thermal forums, plenty of info out there. Good luck, it's a journey.

Looking for something to shoot coyote within a couple hundred yards and less. ATN has some I was looking at and their marketing screen shots mask decent but I haven't seen many accrual user reviews of them.

Any thoughts, recommendations or suggestions?
What is your budget? NV and TI are the big ticket items where buy once cry once truly comes into play.

"635-065-0745
Prohibited Methods

It is unlawful:

(5) To hunt or locate or scout for the purpose of hunting any wildlife with infrared or any other "night vision" sight or equipment except trail cameras."

"635-065-0745
Prohibited Methods

It is unlawful:

(5) To hunt or locate or scout for the purpose of hunting any wildlife with infrared or any other "night vision" sight or equipment except trail cameras."
Does not apply to private property. Been through this with a few OSP troopers. The actual statute reads differently than what the regs state.

This is what OSP sent me

6A0F06BA-508C-4C25-9B5A-35AB173365AD.jpeg

"635-065-0745
Prohibited Methods

It is unlawful:

Also if you want to get technical with this, this would outlaw the use of rangefinders

ORS 610.002
"Predatory animals" defined

"As used in this chapter, "predatory animal" or "predatory animals" includes feral swine as defined by State Department of Agriculture rule, coyotes, rabbits, rodents and birds that are or may be destructive to agricultural crops, products and activities"

What you cited isn't a blanket approval to use night vision to shoot coyotes on private land... They would have to be/have potential to be destructive to your agricultural products, which is not something that the OP referenced. If you were raising chickens, for instance, it would be fair to say that a coyote "may be destructive" but if you don't have any agricultural products that a coyote would eat (growing hazelnuts, apples, wine grapes, etc), or if you're just a rural landowner but not an agricultural producer, that doesn't seem to meet the language of the statute.

Last Edited:
ORS 610.002

"As used in this chapter, "predatory animal" or "predatory animals" includes feral swine as defined by State Department of Agriculture rule, coyotes, rabbits, rodents and birds that are or may be destructive to agricultural crops, products and activities"

What you cited isn't a blanket approval to use night vision to shoot coyotes on private land... They would have to be/have potential to be destructive to your agricultural products, which is not something that the OP referenced. If you were raising chickens, for instance, it would be fair to say that a coyote "may be destructive" but if you don't have any agricultural products that a coyote would eat (growing hazelnuts, apples, wine grapes, etc), or if you're just a rural landowner but not an agricultural producer, that doesn't seem to meet the language of the statute.
This is what the OSP trooper gave me when he said it was ok to use NV/ Thermal for coyotes on private property. Feel free to reach out to them.

ORS 610.002

It also read as soon as their presence comes to knowledge of the individual. They can just be there and not actually do anything.

This is what the OSP trooper gave me when he said it was ok to use NV/ Thermal for coyotes on private property. Feel free to reach out to them.

I know that people interpret laws differently, but I wouldnt take legal advice from any police officer.... They are police not lawyers or prosecutors.
What one officer may allow because he doesnt know, might not be what another officer will arrest for.

Just my opinion, but the way I read the regs... The law allows a landowner exception for spotlighting only but not NV hunting. I could be wrong... Im not a cop or a lawyer :p

It also read as soon as their presence comes to knowledge of the individual. They can just be there and not actually do anything.

"As soon as their presence comes to knowledge of the individual" is still referring to a defined "predatory animal," which is legally NOT the same as "any coyote, anywhere, any time." If you are an agricultural producer with agricultural products, i.e. "chickens," that a coyote might target, then you're right: you could pre-emptively shoot them as soon as their presence came to your knowledge, without them actually doing anything. But again, reading the statutory language of what defines a "predatory animal," I don't think any random rural landowner can use night vision to shoot coyotes on their private property.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top