JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Time and a lifetime of hard work have been busy eliminating a lot of physical options for me. I'm approaching 70 years old and by now have learned to keep my trap shut and my hands to myself...

But, if I ever get into it with someone I can't avoid, and they're dead-set on causing trouble,
and if they are bloody stupid enough to think that I'm the trouble they're looking for...
.....well, I know I don't heal as fast as I used to, and I sincerely doubt I can out-run 'em, so, I'm either gonna be covering/hiding, or (more likely) just simplify things** by shooting 'em several times in the most shoot-able places.
Heck, If I tried a spinning Whatzahoozit-Fu Kick I'd put myself into the hospital, and my assailant would probably bust a lung laughing.

So, like most of the experts recommend, "When you get older, it's always a good idea to simplify your life." and to that I'll add...
"Hey, that violent person trying to hurt you, already thinks you look like an easy mark, show 'em you're still a good shot."

** and by "things", I mean avoiding a long hospital stay, or expensive funeral...NOT legal stuff...ya gotta be breathing to afford a good lawyer

"Hell, I'll kill a man in a fair fight... or if I think he's gonna start a fair fight," .... Jayne Cobb

Last Edited:
Like the untold millions of stories like this they WAY over simplify it. No two fights are ever the same. No fight ever goes the way the "training" told you it would go. The only rule is don't lose.
I too am way too old to play games. Even when young I never thought this was "fun". I tell Wife all the time when watching some woman who is attacked. If you get the scum down, make sure they can not get back up. Every movie you see has the "victim" get a good blow in, do bad either male or female goes down, they run. I tell her every time. If they go down make sure they stay down, then you can run. When I was young I put a couple people down hard enough that I was thought "not fair". I would shrug and say I did not start things, I did not feel like giving the person a "fair fight" since they decided to attack me. :s0092:
At my age now I can't afford to soak up multiple blows from someone young. I don't heal like I used to and so would have to end things quickly. :s0092:

I have kind of come to the conclusion that when the day comes that I run out of options to avoid a confrontation, it will not be over a parking space.

Also, my body hates me, and arthritis is becoming an issue. I am too old to be a punching bag.

When it comes to fighting...
Do what you need to do in order to survive.
Best bet , avoid fighting all together.

Best advice if you have to fight comes from Josey Wales* :

"Remember this...where it's liken to be ye cain't make...thet means it's all goin' to be decided right quick..cain't last long.
Then ye got to git mean...dirty mean...ye got to git plumb mad-dog mean...like a heller...and ye'll come through.
Iff'n ye lose yore head and give up...ye're finished and ye ain't deservin' of winnin' ner livin.
Thet's the way it is."

*Taken from the novel Gone To Texas.
Andy

There's no dishonor in walking or running away from a bad situation. With people all hyped up from meth and other things you don't know what you're up against. The smallest dweeb all strung out can have the strength of several men and the ability not to feel any pain. You will just wear yourself out and then lose. Then we have the thugs who are proficient in grappling. Once you let them get you on the ground, it's pretty much over. Basically, I've resolved that I'm getting too old for these bubblegum holes. 45acp says eff-off in many languages.

1618012635595.png

Believe it or not I was a real @ss at one time . No , seriously. I've been a lot of street fights and especially bar fights and barracks fights, gym fights, hallway fights etc. Mostly because I lipped off a lot. Anyway what works in the gym with rules doesnt work in a real fight. Start kicking and your'e going to get your leg broken quick. Hit first. Hit the nose. It'll be over before you know it once the blood valve opens.

If someone says (throw the first punch) I always do, always have and always will. Just my nature I guess.
57 years have slowed me down a bit, but it still hurts to get hit.
Wired has my vote on this one!!

"8. Don't go totally ape shif. The first guy to lose his breath is the loser."

This. If YouTube has taught me anything it's that most street fights result in an opponent completely gassed within 30 seconds. If you have no cardio endurance you're done.

"8. Don't go totally ape shif. The first guy to lose his breath is the loser."

This. If YouTube has taught me anything it's that most street fights result in an opponent completely gassed within 30 seconds. If you have no cardio endurance you're done.
Do 30 correct burpees that include a pushup and hands over head jump for each and that's how you'll be after 30 seconds of a fight.. minus a trip to the hoosgow.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top