JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm completely sympathetic to the seller in this case. I've sold plenty on GB, had a couple of flakes along the way. GB makes it a minor hassle to get the commission you paid a problem. It has to be done just so or you won't get a credit. Then you have to start over again.

Having expressed my sympathy, from what the OP has posted here, it sounds like the buyer was sincere however in error and default. Personally, I would've worked with him the extra time. The extra time given being worth the result of not having to go through the unpaid buyer routine and relisting. But that can be a gamble too; you never know how long you might get strung along.

I'm completely sympathetic to the seller in this case. I've sold plenty on GB, had a couple of flakes along the way. GB makes it a minor hassle to get the commission you paid a problem. It has to be done just so or you won't get a credit. Then you have to start over again.

Having expressed my sympathy, from what the OP has posted here, it sounds like the buyer was sincere however in error and default. Personally, I would've worked with him the extra time. The extra time given being worth the result of not having to go through the unpaid buyer routine and relisting. But that can be a gamble too; you never know how long you might get strung along.

I believed he lied about being out of the country. If the guy had contacted me and told me he would need a little more time to pay I would have accommodated him. When you have ZERO response from a 4 day old Gunbroker account with ZERO feedback how much longer would you give? 10 days, 20 days, 2 months in hopes that just maybe he might answer one of the 5 previous notifications and honor his legally binding agreement? If someone is not man enough to keep their word and follow through on their agreements do I really want their business anyway? Gunbroker has a system and a timeline for addressing non-paying bidders. In general it is wise to stick to this process. His payment is still sitting unclaimed in my Paypal account. At this point I am wondering if the man is illiterate and unable to read my emails or navigate a mouse and computer keyboard without help. Perhaps it is best he has no ammunition.

a 4 day old Gunbroker account with ZERO feedback how much longer would you give?

I have to say, I get a bit nervous when I see bidders with no FB. You have to wonder if they know what they are doing, being newbs and all. I've had to nurse a couple along but they were sincere and it was no big problem. How long would I give? Well, it would depend a lot on the status of communication. If I don't hear word one from them, and this has happened, I'm not inclined to wait very long. You've got to have something to work with. I might've given him 10 days. But not so much out of generosity as for my own convenience. You didn't do wrong considering the GB conventions.

His payment is still sitting unclaimed in my Paypal account. At this point I am wondering if the man is illiterate and unable to read my emails or navigate a mouse and computer keyboard without help.

This is the weird part. He very well may think the deal is still on. Me, I don't want any of my money hanging in the wind like that. He truly may not understand the reality of things. There are all kinds of people out there. I sell on ebay and the same kinds of things come up there.

My feeling is refunding his money from PayPal would give a definite closure to this case. Keeping the money in limbo as it is now only prolongs the agony of thinking about it. If he's really dense yet smart enough to know what's going on in his PayPal account, seeing the refund will make the light bulb come on.

I have to say, I get a bit nervous when I see bidders with no FB. You have to wonder if they know what they are doing, being newbs and all. I've had to nurse a couple along but they were sincere and it was no big problem. How long would I give? Well, it would depend a lot on the status of communication. If I don't hear word one from them, and this has happened, I'm not inclined to wait very long. You've got to have something to work with. I might've given him 10 days. But not so much out of generosity as for my own convenience. You didn't do wrong considering the GB conventions.

This is the weird part. He very well may think the deal is still on. Me, I don't want any of my money hanging in the wind like that. He truly may not understand the reality of things. There are all kinds of people out there. I sell on ebay and the same kinds of things come up there.

My feeling is refunding his money from PayPal would give a definite closure to this case. Keeping the money in limbo as it is now only prolongs the agony of thinking about it. If he's really dense yet smart enough to know what's going on in his PayPal account, seeing the refund will make the light bulb come on.

I actually researched the process of refunding his money last night rather than waiting for him for him to simply cancel the unclaimed payment. The problem is I would first have to accept the payment described as "For ammo" which is a violation of the Paypal user agreement and subject to account termination. Once accepted I could refund his money but doing so links the refund to my bank account and makes me potentially liable for any fees, overdrafts, or fraud associated with the refund.

If he can't figure it out he will have to wait 30 days for Paypal to auto refund. Im washing my hands of the whole thing.

I've had a PayPal account for years, I've never had to manually accept a payment. I didn't know there was such an option. I just figured money came into the account and was credited automatically. Is this an optional setting? I guess the auto refund will take care of it if such is the case.

as "For ammo" which is a violation of the Paypal user agreement and subject to account termination.

This wasn't a problem for you before the transaction went bad (payment method you specified in your listing). And probably not for many others on this board; the main thrust seems to be keeping PayPal from knowing about firearms-related transactions rather than keeping within the letter of their law. This is not a criticism.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews