JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My son wants to add a dot to his Shield. Is he going to be better off with a milled slide or have his slide milled? Its about $250 for a optics ready stripped slide then a new barrel, and parts kit to complete. other than the hit to his credit card this seems the fastest way. Or send his slide out to be cut. our local guy is backed up 6 weeks. What would you do? DR

hed be better off having his slide milled because he already knows it runs and nothing needs fitting. Keep in mind he might have to change recoil spring rate depending on if the new optic adds any weight or evens out regardless of which direction he chooses.

Last Edited:

I've heard good things about his work, not sure on his turn around

You left out just get a 30 round mag.
those-are-rookie-numbers.gif

I've heard good things about his work, not sure on his turn around
This looks like the way to go. They have a package deal with the optic, cut and sights. That way everything fits and works together! Thanks DR

I switched to red dots a while back and couldn't be happier! I don't remember exactly where I head it, maybe one of Sage Dynamics videos, but under the advice of "considering a red dot and if it's right for you", the suggestion was with a confirmed, safe weapon in a safe environment close your eyes, draw the weapon and bring it up on target, if you open your eyes, and the sights are aligned you should be good to go with a red dot. If you are consistently having to readjust your hold to align the sights after you open your eyes that may not be the best pistol choice for you for a red dot

If you're going to buy a new slide just know it may come with issues. It's definitely the faster route. But can cost more money/time in the long run.

You can buy another complete shield for about $250…

Ideally I would mill out the OEM slide or buy a slide from a well-known and reputable company. Not a eBay or low cost company.

You could have one slide with an optic and another slide with irons.

The real question is what optic is he planning on running?

Last Edited:
My random thoughts about this...

It may be nice to have two slides so you can switch them out for when you want to practice with just irons.

And at some point...after you factor in the cost of a new slide or the cost to milling and refinishing with shipping, etc., one may decide to simply buy a new optic ready gun. That price point is probably going to be different for everyone. But for me, if it's going to cost me 50% (or more) of what it would cost to buy a whole new gun, I would probably just bite the bullet (PUN intended) and buy the whole new gun. But that's me. YMMV.

If you're going to go the route of having the slide milled, make absolutely sure it's by someone who knows what the heck they are doing, that the cut will work with the exact red dot you're intending to use, that you understand if the dot can be directly mounted to the slide or if you will need a plate, etc., etc. There's lots of horror stories out there of milled slides going wrong.

https://vulcanmachinewerks.com/optic-cuts/

I personally dropped off my Glock 17 slide and a Holosun 507 during a visit to Dallas, and toured their very impressive shop. I was surprised how quickly it came back in the mail. My son has had a Stacatto (milling and porting) and two M&P's done by them. Send them the stripped slide and whatever optic you want to install. You will be very pleased with the milling and refinishing work.

Obviously call first and get the details and about your particular job.

I would mill the existing slide, I recently did my CZ 75b Compact for $110 plus shipping at Wager Machine Works. They even did the removing and replacing of my iron sights. The price varies depending on model and the option you choose to recoat the milled area on the slide, I just had mine blued. The work was terrific, turn around was fast and communication was good. I installed a Holosun 407K.
After I shipped it I found another machine shop with many good reviews that offered the milling even cheaper if you bought the Holosun from them. I forgot their name, the point being their are many reputable machine companies who mill slides at very reasonable rates.The place that Vinnie mentioned in a post above for $90 seems like a great deal.
On a side-note, I owned a Swampfox and a Holosun 407K and when I decided to purchase a third red dot I purchased another Swampfox.

I switched to red dots a while back and couldn't be happier! I don't remember exactly where I head it, maybe one of Sage Dynamics videos, but under the advice of "considering a red dot and if it's right for you", the suggestion was with a confirmed, safe weapon in a safe environment close your eyes, draw the weapon and bring it up on target, if you open your eyes, and the sights are aligned you should be good to go with a red dot. If you are consistently having to readjust your hold to align the sights after you open your eyes that may not be the best pistol choice for you for a red dot
It's like the old saying, Buy once, open your eyes and buy again!

I have and love a couple Holosun's, including a 407k2, but I have been looking at the Swampfox options, what was it about the Swampfox that made you decide to go with them for your 3rd one?
Primarily a 3MOA reticle vs a 6MOA reticle, I have found that I prefer a smaller dot for how I normally shoot. After experimentation I have also found that I prefer a green colored dot or front fiber optic sight. Currently at Amazon with a green dot;
The Holosun 407K is: $240
The Swampfox Justice is $188
Certainly another individual may prefer different options, my dots are primarily used at the gun range.

I have only heard good things regarding Swampfox providing customer service if necessary. Sage Dynamics is one of the YouTube channels that has reviewed both and the Holosun does best on his drop-test, but dropping a gun is not something at the top of my list of concerns and other than cracking the lens if the gun is dropped multiple times on concrete (but still holds zero and shoots accurately) he seems to rate it positively...

If you're going to buy a new slide just know it may come with issues. It's definitely the faster route. But can cost more money/time in the long run.

You can buy another complete shield for about $250…

Ideally I would mill out the OEM slide or buy a slide from a well-known and reputable company. Not a eBay or low cost company.

You could have one slide with an optic and another slide with irons.

The real question is what optic is he planning on running?
I'm not sure what optic he will settle on. He wants to have iron sights that can be used through the sight and the shake awake feature. Once he does this I'll get to shoot his and decide If I want one for myself. Neither of us has tried a dot on a handgun. DR

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top