JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I got a Benjamin 392 a couple months back, which has been super fun to shoot (targets only so far).

One modification I've been thinking about is adding a little more padding between the pump arm and the air reservoir. When I'm pumping it up, it makes a loud *clack* each the wooden pump arm slams to rest against the metal reservoir. The gun comes with a small rubber bumper in that spot, but the padding could possibly be improved, without interfering with the pumping action.

The noise isn't so bad in a target shooting environment, but for small game hunting it would seem to really screw up your chances of ever getting a second shot in (rare as that might be, anyways).

So... anybody done a mod like that to their multi-pump air rifle?

Cut a piece of bicycle inner tube and slide over the barrel. A 10-speed tube will likely work best, or a wide rubber band like what's used on vegetables?

I've taken very thin neoprene (wetsuit type material) and cut it in a long thin strip. Applied contact cement and let dry.
No more clack clack clack sound !

Ah, that might work even better!

Today I tried some adding some inner tube/ranger bands around the pump arm, and while that dulled the tone of the *clack* a bit, it still made a pretty loud *thunk*.

Now I'm wondering what I have that's close to neoprene that I could try. Maybe an old mouse pad or something...

Question: Did you cement the neoprene to the pump arm, or to the barrel/air reservoir? Given that there's an open metal track cut into the arm, I'm guessing the barrel would provide a more even surface for the cement?

I put it in thin strips on the barrel itself. But not to far forward as if it's to close to the hinge the pump arm wouldn't close all the way. I had looked around at goodwill for old wetsuits..... Never dawned on me to use one of the 15 old mouse pads I have in the computer junk drawer lol :eek: I see I have several that are really thin that will work great! :)

Well, it turns out I didn't have any mouse pads left around! But a trip to Goodwill turned up a neoprene tablet/Kindle case.

I cut a strip about 1/4" x 5 1/2" long, and glued it to the barrel with Duco cement. Here's a photo for demonstration purposes (the red side of the neoprene is showing only to make it easier to see – when I glued it, I put the black side facing out):

Photo Aug 15, 4 03 01 PM.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads