JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
As the title says, I'm driving around and come across 7-8 chickens. They looked lost as hell. Came right up to me when I stopped. I have my dog with me so I couldn't grab them.

What should be done? They'll be coyote food in no time out here.

Here are the chicks

0A92C662-DE3F-4343-A38A-CF62F7F4A97E.jpeg

So did they cross the road...? :D

I wonder if they are lost or are they abandoned...?
I once came across some Hens way the Hell and gone up where I hunt at.
My guess is someone dumped 'em .....sad for sure.
Andy

As the title says, I'm driving around and come across 7-8 chickens. They looked lost as hell. Came right up to me when I stopped. I have my dog with me so I couldn't grab them.

What should be done? They'll be coyote food in no time out here.
Some may have enough sense to try to find a perch for the night away from the dogs. Head back in the morning and see if any lived the night. If so you have some free chickens. My guess would be someone dumped them because they did not want to care for them any more since they are used to people.

I'll probably go back tomorrow. The problem is I don't have a place for chickens. Moving states this week.
Jump on NextDoor and see if anyone in your area/neighborhood can take them. Or give your local humane society a call and see if they can take them or have recommendations. Chickens are generally in demand so odds are good you can find them a home.

FIFY. (Never end a sentence with a preposition. You've been hanging around kids too long.)
Didn't need any fixin'...I write how I talk .
Please , no need of "fixing" my posts , I can use the edit or back space buttons to"fix" my own writing.

I write and speak well when needed.
However...I prefer to speak and write in my first language ( Southern ) when off duty , so to speak.:D
Andy

Last Edited:
Went back today. One of the chickens was picked off by a predator last night. Feathers everywhere. After a quick look around I found five but couldn't wrangle them. My lady friend was tired of watching me chase chickens so we called it an early afternoon. If anyone wants five free chickens before the coyotes grab them here is their coordinates

1EBC7D4F-2322-436A-ADDC-5F6A0795A851.png

Went back today. One of the chickens was picked off by a predator last night. Feathers everywhere. After a quick look around I found five but couldn't wrangle them. My lady friend was tired of watching me chase chickens so we called it an early afternoon. If anyone wants five free chickens before the coyotes grab them here is their coordinates

View attachment 1109083
Did you bring feed?

Y'all should see what they do with male chick's at the hatchery out here. Males are expendable.
The males are only worth pennies on the dollar to the hens. Years ago Wife and I had a few chickens. One of them turned out to be a male. They miss a few in the sexing. They were VERY tame as they were raised by us but, the male I had to do away with. He started that crowing in the morning. Wife tried a few times to break him of it. I told her there was no way but she wanted to try. Finally one morning right after I came home from work and it was still dark he started in and she sighed and said OK. I put him down but she did not want to eat him. Seemed kind of a waste to me but she could not bring herself to eat a bird she had raised. FEW would want to see how they are treated when raised commercially. Now that we have a lot of land to live on she wants to get a few more this spring when the chicks go on sale. The fresh eggs are GREAT. Used to be fun to watch the ones we had jump up and sit in someones lap when we were outside :D

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top