Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

A small .22 rifle for my 6 year old Grandson

Discussion in 'Rifles Wanted' started by oldcorpgunny, Apr 30, 2013.

1. oldcorpgunny

oldcorpgunny Clark County, WA Active Member

I was at Bi-Mart the other day and saw a .22 single shot rifle with a poly stock for $139.00 and thought that I might do better here. Everything that I have is too long for him and he really has an interest in learning to shoot. Gramps is gonna' teach him just as soon as I find him a rifle.
    I have cash and or 9MM ammo.
    Let me knw what you've got and your asking price.
    Thanks!

Chuck - USMC 1965-1985

2. akmewon

akmewon clackamas Active Member

for what its worth I bought my daughter a Crickett .22 at cabelas for 109...It also is a poly stock ,single shot,with a bolt lock and a safety firing pin that she has to pull before it will shoot.

3. oldcorpgunny

Thanks akmewon. The rifle that you're describing is the same one that i looked at. Maybe Bi-Mart sells the same thing for more money!

4. Cremator75

Cremator75 Portland, OR Active Member

I bought a Rossi single shot .22 break open rifle that also came with a single shot 20 ga. barrel on sale at Dick's for $100 about 2 years ago. They still sell it but I don't know the price. Its a great trainer and pretty darn accurate. Also make a good backpack rifle for small game.

5. Brutus57

Brutus57 Skagit County Well-Known Member

Marlin semi model 995 I think was a goodie when I was almost 40 years younger. To me something he could grow into. Accurate little 22 carbine. In college I could hit a shotgun shell at about 50 yards over the open sights. I gave it away to an old girlfriend. D'OOOOHHH!!!!!

Brutus out.

6. Burt Gummer

Burt Gummer Portland Completely Out of Ammo

10/22 w/ a 50-round drum and Stingers

wollow and (deleted member) like this.
  7. oldcorpgunny

You all have some great opinions, but I believe that a single shot youth model will help him to understand the necessity of first shot accuracy. When I was on active duty in the Marines i saw first hand the value of the teaching that I received in preliminary marksmanship at Edson range in Camp Pendlton. Army infantry carried their M-16's on full auto and that's how they shot them. As a consequence they were always on the verge of being out of ammunition. The Marines, on the other hand, fired semi-auto and only at visible targets. The result was more confirmed casualties inflicted on the enemy and fewer ammo runs. I've never been a "spray and pray" kind of shooter.

8. mommabronco79

mommabronco79 McMinnville Member

The one bimart carries is the Savage "Rascal". Here is a little info off of the net... Rascal series rifles are safe, accurate and - with an 11.25" length of pull - easy to use for beginning and younger shooters. Each rifle has adjustable peep sights and a single-shot magazine with a feed ramp. Rascals also feature Savage's AccuTrigger which provides crisp release with no creep and allows trigger to be adjusted without the need for a gunsmith. One-piece synthetic stocks are available in many bright matte color options and the hardwood option has a lovely satin finish.

Specifications Action Bolt Caliber 22 LR Barrel Length 16.13"

Capacity 1 Trigger Accutrigger Safety Lever Length 31.5" Weight 2.66 lbs Stock Black Synthetic Finish Blued Matte/Satin ...

9. oldcorpgunny

Thank you for that information!