JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
USMC 1975-83. Nothing other than the enemies foreign and domestic at enlistment or reenlistment. But, was grilled about everything communist to the point of signing paperwork to never travel to certain countries when I got and renewed my clearance. They interviewed my family members, neighbors and friends back home as well.

Last Edited:
Ah, I see the confusion. The "swearing/affirming" was on paper with questions that you had to sign, not like a pledge of allegiance or anything. Like the "foreign and domestic" you are mentioning in the official swearing-in ceremony:
"I, _____, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God."

I know mines more recent but 07 I don't recall any of this. Nor in any training manuals or doctrine we practiced.

We did do old battle drills that have been present and perfected over the years since WWII. The mindset while in was more about terrorism than communism.

I think we had old equipment meant to block out old soviet tech from some of our commo and we also trained to fire at Soviet model tanks when using the AT4 with 9mm tracers. I think we also brushed on recognizing some combloc style equipment but all of this was very few and little in subject compared to doing COIN training for Iraq/Afghan.

I kept every piece of paper ever given to me during my military time. So I just went back and looked through that stuff. Here's what I found:

1. When I enlisted in the Regular Army in 1969, I signed a DD Form 98. This is the document I referred to in post #15, above. The so-called Biddle List. It is a four page document, the first two of which list hundreds of subversive organizations in tiny print smaller than telephone book type. This one is dated 1959 which I believe was the final version used until it was discontinued in 1974. When I was in the army, from time to time the personnel people would screen our 201 files and do some weeding. The notation on this form shows that it was pulled from my 201 file while I was in Vietnam circa 1970-72. Personnel would send the weeded documents down to the soldier concerned by way of his unit. That's how I come to have this.

2. When I worked as an Army National Guard Technician, I was required to have a security clearance. I saved a copy of the DD Form 398. On page 3 of that document, Statement of Personal History, item no. 17, there is a series of questions relating to association with or membership in certain subversive organizations.

The oath of office, as a retired federal employee I've taken that a number of times.

Thanks for the replies all.
And especially a big thanks for all your service.
Your input has been most helpful.
My problem here (obviously) is memory. But ftr, I had switched up my MOS ( now, 'AFSC') nearly 3 times - each requiring their own special requirements.
I initially entered in order to finish up at OTS, and to come out commissioned in order for flight school. I already had some basic flight school as a civilian kid and wanted to go that route. But - unfortunately I was a growing boy. Still. Back then AF had a 2 tier height restrictions for hopeful pilots. Fighter hopefuls could be no taller than... 5'8" - 5' 10"? I think? And support and cargo pilots couldn't be taller that 6' 1". I knew this going in and couldn't care less about fighters, I liked the big slow stuff more. Problem was - by the time basic in Lackland was over and I was on my way across to Medina I was informed that - I was now too tall to fly anything. I apparently had a growth spurt and had already passed their (then, 'reformed') height limit. FML.

Back then - the AF was guaranteeing your MOS when you enlisted. Problem was - that 'guarantee' meant, if you don't get your desired job you could simply detach and be on your merry way... Nobody I knew ever suffered basic and then decided to ditch. They also pitched some pretty good alternatives in a field I was already pretty well grounded in - so... New School! That's when I had a whole new flurry of paperwork begin. This was when the separate, 'clearance' stuff began. Neighbors, friends and even old high school teachers got visits and calls. And more than once, that 'communist' question.

Thank you all again for the memory help.

Yah, I enlisted in 1975 and the paperwork I signed, repeatedly, prohibited association with Commie Party, etc. However, the OATH was simply to protect and defend, etc. As a Registered Oathkeeper, I might have reaffirmed this, not sure.

It seems like many forms back in those days and prior had that prohibition. May have even included membership in Rotary & such.

Joined Air Force in 1959, after Weather Training I was assigned to Laughlin AFB Base in Del Rio Texas (SAC) . We provided weather support for U-2 Aircraft which were stationed there.
Lots of security at this base but cannot remember any forms you stated as having seen.

Have a great day....Ken

1969-1991, USMC... The questions about any affiliation with the Communist party is only referenced when obtaining Security Clearances.. It had absolutely nothing to do with the taking the oath of Enlistment...:eek::D

I come out of a navy family... (Grandfather was Captain and then a Naval Base Commander in the 60's) So, of course I went into the Air Force...:rolleyes:

I pre-enlisted and finished up school on track for Lackland, OCS and points unknown by 1980. By then I had filled out many, many, MANY forms - applications and paperwork and had already secured a civilians security clearance (for the work I was already doing as an electronics tech...) .

Here's my question to you all...

I can remember - *clearly* - the numerous (3? 4?) times I had to swear and affirm the usual oath's and declarations of truthfulness about my associations, beliefs and character.
And more than once did the question about "any affiliation with The Communist Party" come up... I remember this especially, both on forms and in an interview. (And I can almost swear in was in my oath as well...?)

Just asking any of you all if you remember anything like this - (aside from the "enemies, foreign and domestic..." thing.)

Thanks in advance for any input.

I was in the Army 85-93, I remember being asked about commie associations, smoking weed, credit score, and any criminal convictions or pending legal actions... then the oath of allegiance after all that.

I was in from 72 to 80 and don't remember anything about communism and oaths. Had a TS clearance and don't remember that being on any paperwork. In fact, I don't remember doing anything special at all for a clearance. I'm not sure that I realized I had a TS clearance until I saw it on my DD214.

I was in from 72 to 80 and don't remember anything about communism and oaths. Had a TS clearance and don't remember that being on any paperwork. In fact, I don't remember doing anything special at all for a clearance. I'm not sure that I realized I had a TS clearance until I saw it on my DD214.

Obviously you served before pizz tests.... :s0140:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads