JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I come out of a navy family... (Grandfather was Captain and then a Naval Base Commander in the 60's) So, of course I went into the Air Force...:rolleyes:

I pre-enlisted and finished up school on track for Lackland, OCS and points unknown by 1980. By then I had filled out many, many, MANY forms - applications and paperwork and had already secured a civilians security clearance (for the work I was already doing as an electronics tech...) .

Here's my question to you all...

I can remember - *clearly* - the numerous (3? 4?) times I had to swear and affirm the usual oath's and declarations of truthfulness about my associations, beliefs and character.
And more than once did the question about "any affiliation with The Communist Party" come up... I remember this especially, both on forms and in an interview. (And I can almost swear in was in my oath as well...?)

Just asking any of you all if you remember anything like this - (aside from the "enemies, foreign and domestic..." thing.)

Thanks in advance for any input.

I was in at around the same time but don't recall that part specifically... doesn't mean it wasn't there.

"Ivan" was the enemy and we were still training for large scale combat. I do, specifically, remember when the focus shifted from Division+ sized tactics/movements to be used against the Red Army to smaller unit tactics, asymmetric, and desert warfare. Ivan had changed his name to Hadji.

I memorized all those Russian tank silhouettes for nothing... ?

Last Edited:
I served 1967 through 1971 and I can't remember any specific communism references, but then I don't remember a lot of stuff these days.

1991-1995, US Army. I had to swear to that as I had a top secret clearance. I was a little concerned because my great grandfather was a Wobblie involved in the Centralia massacre in 1919 (you can Wiki that if your curious). I am fairly sure it was also part of the enlistment paperwork.

1991-1995, US Army. I had to swear to that as I had a top secret clearance. I was a little concerned because my great grandfather was a Wobblie involved in the Centralia massacre in 1919 (you can Wiki that if your curious). I am fairly sure it was also part of the enlistment paperwork.

After writing this and reflecting... I'm trying to remember if this was for my enlistment - or my clearance...
Thank you!

Ya but I grew up in "the better dead than Red" era. I don't remember that particular oath but I do remember being told that we needed to careful who drank with and talked to while on shore liberty because Russian spies were everywhere.

When I enlisted in the Army...in 1987....I was asked if I was a member of the Communist party....
We also shot at targets that looked liked Soviet Soldiers , complete with a red star and AK47 rifle....
Andy

Yes, I remember a requirement such as this. It was a long form, and contained the names of dozens of subversive organizations. Such as Communist, Nazi and Japanese-related organizations. It started in WW2 and continued into the Cold War, sometimes called "the Biddle List" after the US Attorney General who proposed it. It was continued until 1974 when it was abolished by Congress. Link:

As to what may have been asked after 1974, maybe there was some mention of association with Communist organizations in the separate security clearance paperwork which wasn't a part of the Biddle List.

USAF enlisted/NCO 1978-1984. My last overseas tour was RAF Bentwaters/Woodbridge, UK; Cold War Europe! I was there for the Iran Hostage crisis, Soviet invasion of Afghanistan (ironic...), the Iran Hostage rescue debacle ( elements from 81st TFW and 67th ARRS both provided support from forward operating locations in Egypt), and just general effed-uppedness from the Soviets and East Germans. We were the first A-10 Tank-buster wing in USAFE, so I pretty much spent my two-year tour on alert!

I don't remember forms or questions specifying affiliation with communist organizations either during basic or while acquiring various clearances (had a Top Secret for my Bentwaters/Woodbridge tour...). We did talk about the Russians a lot, though...! :D

1956, asked if I was, or had ever been a member of the communist party. Swore to protect the US from
all enemies, foreign and domestic. Only targets we shot at were, round bull's eyes and head and shoulder silhouettes, (dog) targets.:eek:

Used to listen to Moscow Molly. She had better music than AF Net. :rolleyes:

After writing this and reflecting... I'm trying to remember if this was for my enlistment - or my clearance...
Thank you!

I enlisted in the mid-70s and do not remember that being in my oath. Enemies foreign and domestic, I remember clear as if it was yesterday!
It must have been something to do with your clearance is my guess.;)

Last Edited:
I enlisted in the Air Force in 1987. I don't remember being asked that question but I can't think it wasn't on some questionnaire. That actually would have been one of the better questions. Especially if you held any kind of clearance.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top