JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am considering relocating to McMinnville for work. One of the things I like to do once in a while where I live now is drive out in the hills and plink. I don't shoot a lot, and don't care to spend a bunch to shoot at a range. Are there any decent areas near McMinnville that aren't too far to drive?

I did a search and found an old thread about McMinnville, but some folks talked about many of the good places in the woods being gated and closed to shooting. Does anyone have any recent info? Thank you.

Nobody, nothing? I'm starting to get a bit bummed about having to move to an area where there's nowhere to go shoot without driving an hour each way, or joining a club with a ton of rules and nothing but 25 yard paper targets.:(

Thanks, Monk. I was hoping for something a little closer. That's at least a 3 hour round trip from McMinnville. I do appreciate the link to the shooting regulations also, something good to know.

Man, I am disappointed. Where I live now it's 15 minutes to a very nice range, and another 10 minutes past that I can shoot 100yds+ out in the woods. Where I lived before I had 100yds out my back door.

when I first moved to newberg a couple years ago I heard about a simple outdoor range between Yamhill and Carlton somewhere, but I never got around to checking it out. Now I can't find any information on it, so it's either closed or never existed in the first place.

Might have been Chehalem Valley Sportsman's Club, which is at it's membership limit for 2013. It doesn't seem quite right though.

Have you found anything else in the area since? Just moved down here and would like to keep the drive well under an hour if we can.
Well, sorry this is such a late reply, and frankly it's too late to get in this year, but next October you can apply for the Chehalem Valley Sportsman's Club in Dundee. I suppose it's really less of a club and more of just a shooting range. It's small. It's Spartan. But it's inexpensive compared to a lot of clubs, and it's there. They open membership only once per year. The website says, "Best range in Dundee." It's the ONLY range in Dundee. https://cvsc.us/

Last Edited:
Have you found anything else in the area since? Just moved down here and would like to keep the drive well under an hour if we can.
I've just been going to beaver dam rock pit or wolf creek. I am going to search around this weekend though. I had planned on doing some winter camping. I didn't plan on shooting but I'll still have a few guns on me and I'm always looking for cool new spots.
If i do find something I'll be sure to share it here.

And for the record, I typically hate going shooting with other people because I usually end up with folks who aren't as safety conscious as I am, or they're certifiable "gun nuts", but if you're seriously considering joining CVSC, then I'll take you there as my guest to check the place out, as long as you're NOT one of the aforementioned gun nuts, and you can keep your bubbleguming muzzle pointed downrange.

Have you tried going out to Gooseneck? It was reported open as of late October.

Last Edited:
Didn't find anything. One sign saying "no target shooting" and eventually I came out in Williamina- Found some places I'd camp but no obviously safe shooting areas.
200.gif

And for the record, I typically hate going shooting with other people because I usually end up with folks who aren't as safety conscious as I am, or they're certifiable "gun nuts", but if you're seriously considering joining CVSC, then I'll take you there as my guest to check the place out, as long as you're NOT one of the aforementioned gun nuts, and you can keep your bubbleguming muzzle pointed downrange.
I'm in the same boat. I like to go with a few close friends or my wife. Cautious around new folks/strangers. I'm not a gun nut by any means, just another tool in the tool box. I looked into the range in Dundee, but I'm not sure I'd want to join the NRA, or any club at this point. I do appreciate the offer. It looks like you don't have to be a member to do the occasional USPSA events? That's something I'd like to do.

Have you tried going out to Gooseneck? It was reported open as of late October.

My wife just mentioned Gooseneck the other day. She used to go with friends back in college, and wasn't sure it was still an option. We will go check it out in the coming weeks.

I'm in the same boat. I like to go with a few close friends or my wife. Cautious around new folks/strangers. I'm not a gun nut by any means, just another tool in the tool box. I looked into the range in Dundee, but I'm not sure I'd want to join the NRA, or any club at this point. I do appreciate the offer. It looks like you don't have to be a member to do the occasional USPSA events? That's something I'd like to do.
I despise giving one red cent to the NRA as well, which is why I only do the NRA Associate membership each year when I renew at CVSC. It's $10.00 per year, and it's sufficient for the range. As far as "club" goes, I'm pretty sure it's in name only. I believe I was in the presence of the "club" president years ago when I was at the in-person lottery meeting to get in, but I couldn't tell you who anyone is. I haven't met anyone and I don't know anyone else's name!

Last Edited:
If Dundee isn't too far then there's a real small range in Newberg. Only 12 lanes, hours are odd but people are friendly and helpful. Website says NRA membership required but when I joined they told me they aren't really worried about it. It's like $78 a year compared to crazy dollars other places want.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top