JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm just a 21 year old interested in gunsmithing.
Came across a full time apprenticeship, but I couldn't take it because is was unpaid for one full year.
I have a baby coming and in need of an opportunity that has an entry level pay of 15+ an hour. Is it outlandish to think I will get an apprenticeship that will pay that good?

I cant seem to find an entry level position anywhere that even pays 10 an hour.

That's Oregon, dude. I have been working for almost 40 years and I make $10 an hour. (I am female, my husband makes way more than I do, but I have been working longer than he has.)

Only apprenticeship paying that is a trade. Electrical, plumbing, heating etc...When I started my electrical apprenticeship 10+ yrs ago it was $12 / hr. Then when you journey out the sky is the limit on how much you make..

GL to you

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

If you are interested in gunsmithing and the apprenticeship looks good and will likely land you a job then do both: get a night job(s) and do the apprenticeship. Yes, it will be a lot of work, but if you are disciplined you can do it. A year isn't that long of a time to build a future. Whatever you decide, if you work hard you'll do fine. Congratulations on the upcoming baby.

I'm a gunsmith and I was trained out in Colorado. If you have the chance at an apprenticeship and you want to be a real gunsmith (not a garage smith who watched one too many YouTube videos) I'd say do whatever it takes to make it work. Take a second job, deliver pizzas, whatever. You can't beat real life hands on training and the money lost in hourly wages is not near as much as you would pay in tuition. Good luck

I would look into one if these courses and continue on with an associates in manufacturing.

http://www.clackamas.cc.or.us/Programs/Basic-Manufacturing-Technician.aspx

http://www.clackamas.cc.or.us/Programs/CNC-Machining-Technician.aspx

I work at a machine shop and a skilled manual machinist with the ability to learn a full CNC machine is a much more well rounded operator and will take you further in gun smithing and and/or a career as a machinist. Good luck!

I don't know hard numbers but I think a machinist makes around $15-$26 an hour depending on skill and experience.

...a skilled manual machinist with the ability to learn a full CNC machine is a much more well rounded operator and will take you further in gun smithing and and/or a career as a machinist.

Frail... this is the nest advice out there!

So I am very curious.... where is this shop that would allow you a one year apprenticeship?

SF-

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads