JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
After reloading thousands of 9mm it finally happened case blowout.
10 rounds loaded and on round 6 all I saw was a blast of white smoke and a quick sense of heat on my finger, but to make matters worse as I saw the smoke my vision blurred and it hit me... my safety glasses were on my hat instead of shielding my eyes.
After hobbling to the cars side mirrors to check for damage to my face which luckily there was none (with vision fading I feared the worst) I went back to the pistol that I set on the ground facing the burm.
The gun a beretta 92fs went through the case failure with no apparent damage I pulled the gun apart and no cracks, extractor intact, no barrel bulge and it even kicked the case out and fed a fresh round like nothing happened.
Interesting enough this wasn't from some hot rod Blue Dot load but instead a mild charge of Bullseye. Working up a load for 124gr jhp carefully scaled with the start load at 4.1grs and the ceiling being 4.3grs.
The blowout occurred with 4.2grs with a jhp seated at 1.060 which I have seated that exact same bullet at that depth with HS6 with zero problems.
Everyone had packed up and left the range so had I been blinded by this event I would have had to try and find my way to the nearest road in thick fog after unlocking a gate.
I had been wearing my glasses this entire session but for some reason when I went back to the bench and loaded the magazine I took my glasses off and set them on top of my hat.
The twenty foot walk to the car was like an eternity not knowing if I'm in shock and have suffered head trauma or if there's a laceration that I can't see. I dont know how I got so lucky that aside from a burn from venting gasses on my finger was the only damage today and even the guns plastic grips didn't crack and the magazine didn't eject.
Ladies and gentlemen I joked on the forum regarding safety glasses but this little incident has 100% changed my views on protective gear as eyes and many other body parts are irreplaceable and that walk to the car is not something I ever want to do again.
Be safe, have fun shooting, and dont get complacent like me...

20190127_190358.jpg 20190127_190347.jpg 20190127_165025.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
glad youre OK!

yep musta just been a weak spot in the webbing. 4.1gr bullseye with a 124gr is nothing. infact, my subsonic 9mm loads are 3.9gr bullseye with a 124gr pill.

any idea how many times that brass was reloaded?

I do not know how many times but with 9mm I try and pick the least damaged cases to prevent this sort of thing.
I was surprised because looking at all the primers there is slight cratering but nothing substantial compared to the nuclear loads some people run in their guns.

Very close to my first post on this forum was about a blowout from reloaded 9mm ammo I had bought.

After that, I swore off buying reloads and I swore off picking up brass that other people had left behind and reloading it. One just does not know how many times that brass has been reloaded and how it has been loaded.

Not saying that was the issue here.

Glad you are ok.

9mm and 40 run at high pressure. it can happen man. im just glad nothing tragic happened.

funny thing is i have loads that take 5gr of bullseye for 9, 38spl, 40 and 45 so i dont have to change my powder dispenser!! LOL

9mm and 40 run at high pressure. it can happen man. im just glad nothing tragic happened.

funny thing is i have loads that take 5gr of bullseye for 9, 38spl, 40 and 45 so i dont have to change my powder dispenser!! LOL
I have seen loads like that and trying a new method of soft target rounds made sense and I thought to myself nothing can go wrong with 4.3 grains if others go as high as 5grs with the same weight bullet... I was wrong

i am seeing what looks like some stretching in the webbing in the first pic just under the rupture...unless its a reflection....usually i start seeing a ring just above the belt on my 300 win mag after about 5 or 6 reloads and then toss'm.

if that was a range pick up brass it coulda been a hot rodded 9mm shot out of an AR. the extractor really rips on those. who knows.

i have loaded tons if 9mm with less than 4.5gr of bullseye and always been good. it even shows on the chrono that im not super fast either. thats using both 115 and 124gr FMJ pills.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top