JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Info on the 7mm-08 is pretty much everywhere. There's another forum that has oodles of info. The nice thing about the 7mm-08 is that basically all the info for the 308 directly correlates. It just uses slightly less powder. Ballistics wise, it's a little more superior, and harder hitting. There are plenty of factory loads out there as well. Question though, is it standard 7mm-08 or 7mm-08AI?

I would try to locate some Federal Fusion ammo. It has proven very accurate in the 2 cartridges I have tried it in, .243 Win and .338 Federal. Kind of the 2 extremes of the .308 Win case. I would not be surprised at all if it proved very accurate in the 7mm-08 in either the 120 gr or the 140 gr load. I never fired any factory 7mm-08 loads in the 7mm-08 Model 70 Lightweight Carbine that I had for a while years ago. It was all handloads with Varget and IMR-4064 primarily with Hornady 139 gr SP and Nosler 140 gr Ballistic Tips.

This Is in a 18" lightweight mountain profile bbl. Very accurate (cloverleafs @100yds)
I haven't tried any of the fusion loads yet. But the Remington was pretty much our benchmark when developing handloads.

We since developed 160gr load I like that matches (or surpasses) the accuracy of the 140gr load but its what worked in mine so I'd give it a try. good deer medicine and puts it where you aim it.

I've done some work with my wife's Ruger Compact 7mm-08. While I am usually very happy with Remington Core-Lokts for accuracy, this gun didn't shoot the 140gr load very well. Velocity was very uniform, but accuracy wasn't so hot. I had better accuracy with starting handloads using Nosler Accubond or Barnes XLC bullets.
However Federal Premium with the Nosler Partition 140gr is a great shooter out of the same gun.

All of the handloading I did was in Remington cases acquired as new ammo. I needed to be a little choosy with powder because of the Ruger's short barrel (16.5") RL15 was one of the best performers.

Let's see a pic!

It's actually a Stevens 200, but it's looking pretty sharp with the new 24" stainless barrel.

IMG_20130523_194950_802.jpg

Next up is a new stock. I've been looking for a nice take off for a while, but think I am going to go with a thumb hole laminate from Boyds. We'll see.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top