JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Info on the 7mm-08 is pretty much everywhere. There's another forum that has oodles of info. The nice thing about the 7mm-08 is that basically all the info for the 308 directly correlates. It just uses slightly less powder. Ballistics wise, it's a little more superior, and harder hitting. There are plenty of factory loads out there as well. Question though, is it standard 7mm-08 or 7mm-08AI?

I would try to locate some Federal Fusion ammo. It has proven very accurate in the 2 cartridges I have tried it in, .243 Win and .338 Federal. Kind of the 2 extremes of the .308 Win case. I would not be surprised at all if it proved very accurate in the 7mm-08 in either the 120 gr or the 140 gr load. I never fired any factory 7mm-08 loads in the 7mm-08 Model 70 Lightweight Carbine that I had for a while years ago. It was all handloads with Varget and IMR-4064 primarily with Hornady 139 gr SP and Nosler 140 gr Ballistic Tips.

This Is in a 18" lightweight mountain profile bbl. Very accurate (cloverleafs @100yds)
I haven't tried any of the fusion loads yet. But the Remington was pretty much our benchmark when developing handloads.

We since developed 160gr load I like that matches (or surpasses) the accuracy of the 140gr load but its what worked in mine so I'd give it a try. good deer medicine and puts it where you aim it.

I've done some work with my wife's Ruger Compact 7mm-08. While I am usually very happy with Remington Core-Lokts for accuracy, this gun didn't shoot the 140gr load very well. Velocity was very uniform, but accuracy wasn't so hot. I had better accuracy with starting handloads using Nosler Accubond or Barnes XLC bullets.
However Federal Premium with the Nosler Partition 140gr is a great shooter out of the same gun.

All of the handloading I did was in Remington cases acquired as new ammo. I needed to be a little choosy with powder because of the Ruger's short barrel (16.5") RL15 was one of the best performers.

Let's see a pic!

It's actually a Stevens 200, but it's looking pretty sharp with the new 24" stainless barrel.

IMG_20130523_194950_802.jpg

Next up is a new stock. I've been looking for a nice take off for a while, but think I am going to go with a thumb hole laminate from Boyds. We'll see.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top