JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've done some searching and have found one published recipe for Berrys 123g .310 plated projectiles. Accurate 5744 supports plated bullets at ~1900fps (vs jacketed data that normally starts at 2100fps) Not wanting to drop below published data is what's kept me looking...

I have no issues using this load data, but knowing there are many other powder choices (at less cost and potentially just as good) I wanted to see if others have had experience & success with 762x39 using cast or plated bullets with other powders.

Thanks!

Picked up a used copy of Lyman's 48th edition.
They have data for cast bullet loads sprinkled throughout, including the 762x39.
It's a good starting point that will allow developing a load in the 1900fps range with 4-5 other powder choices listed
:)

I've done some searching and have found one published recipe for Berrys 123g .310 plated projectiles. Accurate 5744 supports plated bullets at ~1900fps (vs jacketed data that normally starts at 2100fps) Not wanting to drop below published data is what's kept me looking...

I have no issues using this load data, but knowing there are many other powder choices (at less cost and potentially just as good) I wanted to see if others have had experience & success with 762x39 using cast or plated bullets with other powders.

Thanks!
Let us know how these work out. I was wondering how the higher speeds would effect these plated bullets.

Let us know how these work out. I was wondering how the higher speeds would effect these plated bullets.

From the Berry's Site - these rifle bullets should maintain Jacket integrity up to 1900FPS.
Others have reported good success up to 1950fps.

"Description
Berry's Preferred Plated Bullets are swaged and plated to final weight and re-struck
for accuracy and precision. They are more affordable than jacketed rounds and won't
foul your barrel with lead.

Can withstand velocities up to 1900 fps."

With the data & powders I have on hand currently I think I'll be able to get 4-6 combinations ready to run over the chrono fairly easily.

From the Berry's Site - these rifle bullets should maintain Jacket integrity up to 1900FPS.
Others have reported good success up to 1950fps.

"Description
Berry's Preferred Plated Bullets are swaged and plated to final weight and re-struck
for accuracy and precision. They are more affordable than jacketed rounds and won't
foul your barrel with lead.

Can withstand velocities up to 1900 fps."

With the data & powders I have on hand currently I think I'll be able to get 4-6 combinations ready to run over the chrono fairly easily.
I hope they work out for you.

After reading up & comparing load data I ended up testing Alliant Reloader 7 with the 123g Berrys Bullets I picked up. The Hornady 10 guide has FMJ load data for 123g bullets @ 1900FPS - which was their starting load data. I built up 2 different rounds based on slightly reduced powder charges & same OAL for testing at the range. One of the two was running a little fast over the chrono but the other load averaged 1870fps with a SD of 36. No cycling issues & accurate out to 80 yards.

Not a bad load since it's doing everything I need it to. I'll have to test speeds again when the seasons change. Unsure how R7 does with temp & humidity swings.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top