JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Does anyone know it's the 67th Anniversary of Operation Over Lord
My Father was there and I didn't even find out till after his death that he had received 3 bronze stars a purple heart and many other awards
Did anyone here about this in the news today
Didn't think so

Rest in peace, Jump'in Jim of the 82nd(grave located at the USMA).

Gavinmed.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldiers, Sailors and Airmen of the Allied Expeditionary Force! You are about to embark upon a great crusade, toward which we have striven these many months. The eyes of the world are upon you. The hopes and prayers of liberty loving people everywhere march with you. In company with our brave Allies and brothers in arms on other fronts, you will bring about the destruction of the German war machine, the elimination of Nazi tyranny over the oppressed peoples of Europe, and security for ourselves in a free world.

Your task will not be an easy one. Your enemy is well trained, well equipped and battle hardened, he will fight savagely.
But this is the year 1944!

Much has happened since the Nazi triumphs of 1940-41. The United Nations have inflicted upon the Germans great defeats, in open battle, man to man. Our air offensive has seriously reduced their strength in the air and their capacity to wage war on the ground. Our home fronts have given us an overwhelming superiority in weapons and munitions of war, and placed at our disposal great reserves of trained fighting men. The tide has turned! The free men of the world are marching together to victory!

I have full confidence in your courage, devotion to duty and skill in battle. We will accept nothing less than full victory!

Good Luck! And let us all beseech the blessings of Almighty God upon this great and noble undertaking.

Gen. Eisenhower's D-Day message

Last Edited:
The Day that needs to be remembered.
To my step-father Terry Carver, US artillery, firing from barges.
To my great-uncle Alonzo Duffin, Omaha Beach, US infantry.
To cousin Wayne Ritchie, tail gunner B-17, US Army Air Force
To all my friends, and families that had family that served.
Thank you.

Having jumped into Normandy for the 44th and 45th Anniversary's, I have nothing but fond memories of the townsfolk of St Mere Eglise lining the road for our march from the drop zone to town. I met combat veterans (and their families) from the Gliders, Airborne, and those Men on the beach, including Rangers that scaled the cliffs at Pont Du Hoc. Their stories told to us with always be with me, and when my daughter gets old enough I will share them with her in the hopes that someone will always remember the sacrifices made for generations to come.

How come this anniversary day is all but ignored in the press? The generation of heroes that was at war then (both over seas and working for the cause on our soil) is quickly passing away. They should never be forgotten!

Sadly, this day passed without so much as a mention here.

svxr8dr, I too made an anniversary jump into St Mere Eglise while I was stationed with the 82d at Bragg. We got a warm greeting from the younger folks, but those who lived through D-Day greeted us with hugs and tears. We weren't the same guys that jumped in that night, but then again, we were American Paratroopers. Meeting some of the guys who made the jump was an amazing experience. Met one very quiet gentleman who made all of the jumps the 82d made in WW II, and survived the war. That was a true honor.

I am posting a few pictures of some of the Local 101st Airborne WW2 veterans. The local chapter has a few annual get togathers here in the northwest. Capt. Winters, Buck and Don passed recently. Two of the gentleman in the top foto also jumped Sicily. "It is quite a feeling to sit with these gentleman that have three little stars on their wings".

The WW2 Crew 2011 July picnic.

Don's Malarkeys "E" 506th 90th -

Buck Compton "E" 506th/Don Malarkey "E" 506th /Al Phillips "A" 377th Arty FO.

Don's 90th.

Don Malarkey "E" 506th/John Sherman 1/327 Glider Inf. Belgium and Holland.

Dale Harlan "E" 502nd 1942-45/Bill Wingett "E" 506th/Yers truly 1/327th VN.

I have many more, but five photos per page.

How come this anniversary day is all but ignored in the press? The generation of heroes that was at war then (both over seas and working for the cause on our soil) is quickly passing away. They should never be forgotten!

When I was a child my dad had a buddy whose father served in the Navy on board the USS Missouri, he was standing on the deck above and to the left of the table where Japan signed the surender documents. I remember going over to their house and watching hours of footage that he had shot himself and also film that he had collected over the years of the war. I will never forget how emotional he and his son and my father got watching the videos together. I respected and admired him so much for what he went through and sacrificed for his country and I have never forgotten it! It saddens me to see how much people have forgotten and do not care about an entire generation that gave so much for this country. No one else my age (30) knows a flippin thing about the war, when was Pearl Harbor attacked=blank stare, when was D-day= what is that? I will never forget what an amazing feat those men and women accomplished who served our country home and abroad! The greatest generation is quickly becoming the forgotten generation and we are far worse for it!

THANK YOU to all the BRAVE HEROS who fought for freedom! You will NEVER be forgotten!

Last Edited:
Ron and svxr8dr,
If you are interested in being a member of the 101st Airborne Cascade Chapter drop me a PM. We only get togather a few times a year. July picnic, Tet lunch and the Albany Oregon Veterans Day Parade.

We are affiliated with 101st National, so one is required to be a member of national or join to keep tax exempt status.
The chapter is open to all Airborne qualified active duty or veterans who served with an airborne unit. We have all types of airborne troops in the chapter: LRRPS, Ranger,SF and one Force Marine and other types WW2 to present. Ron I believe you have the Mt. Saint Helens group in your area.

Above The Rest!

I had the honor of marching in a parade celebrating the 30th anniversary of the liberation of the town of Avranche, back in 1974...one day I need to dig out my pictures and scan them and post them...

The Normans were, at least at that time, VERY grateful. I had one older man (old..hell, he was then my age now!) bring his grandson up to meet "an American." It was one of my most moving memories from my career in the Army...

We also drove by the graveyards overlooking the beaches....row upon row of neat white crosses, well kept lawn, flag flying high...brings tears to your eyes to see them. If any of you EVER have a chance to go, take it.

The Dutch and Belgians still do volunteer work in the American cemeterys and teach their children about the occupation. Young people will also help take care of a section of graves as a class project. Grandpa can take his grand kids down into the celler where the family hide for days in total fear. They are still very gratefull gracious people.

While in Europe we visited Bastogne and the memorials to the U.S. soldiers who defended it during the Battlee of the Bulge. We also visited a smaller memorial near Malmady where American POW's were massacred during the Battle of the Bulge. Everyday, no matter what season or weather, there are fresh flowers placed on that memorial by the people who remember the sacrifices of our Country's Soldiers.

It is certainly no excuse, and we can never do enough to remember this world changing/saving occasion, but I think it gets overshadowed by Memorial day which occurs so close to it.
I have nothing but respect and admiration for those who assaulted those beaches and cliffs. They are/were giants among men.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top