JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Coming from an archery background, I've never really delved into hunting rifles or long range shooting. I'm thinking it's time. I've talked to a couple friends and most people say 6.5 CM is the way to go. I was thinking of going to 6.5 PRC. It's a little more Juice and while a little light, an effective elk round. (Shot placement always being key) My old boss swore by 28 Nosler. This would probably be my only bolt gun. I wanted something accurate and can punch at some distance. Looking for input from seasoned shooters with each. I'm leaning toward PRC as a middle ground.

They will both get it done within reasonable ranges. The PRC will give you a bit more margin of error.

28 Nosler is a fantastic round, but meant for extended ranges and probably not the best rifle to start on.

Last Edited:
6.5 creedmoor, 91 yards 131 grain soft point. That's the "entry" wound right on the inside of the rib cage, shredded the lungs and liver. I think a 6.5 bullet will do you fine, don't overthink it.

We have a member here that regularly takes elk with a 7mm-08 and both the 28 nosler and 6.5 PRC have more oomph than that.

Granted, my picture is of a blacktail, not an elk.

KIMG0011.JPG

Thanks for the replies. I'll probably end up on PRC. Just hesitant, as this is new territory for me. As this will "probably" be my only bolt rifle, bergara? I am not opposed to spending a little money for the right firearm, but I tend to pay for performance and not names. I noticed a large price disparity, any I should avoid?

Rifle doesn't matter too much, pretty much everyone makes a sub-MOA bolt gun these days. Figure out your priorities and go from there. I personally use a Tikka T3x Ultralight .30-06 in a Manners carbon fiber stock and a Trijicon 3-9x40. I picked that because I hate lugging a bunch of crap around with me in the woods and on a mountainside.

My .02 cents are that you should go with a gun that you can find bullets for easily and not sure the PRC is that (I haven't looked) unless you're a reloader. If it's your only bolt gun, I'd again recommend a more common caliber in the .30 range (30-06 or 308). I think most everyone I talk to in my travels use a 7mm for elk but for your only gun, it might be a little too much for an "all around" caliber. As far as the Bergara goes, you might want to hold one first as I think most are pretty heavy to be lugging around for elk (I think there were forum members here selling theirs just for that reason). I'd look at the Tikka @Nosferatu mentioned, as they are a really light gun. Great guns with some of the smoothest actions for the price point.
6.5 is also a great caliber to select in either Creedmore or 6.5x55 Swede (the Swede has been doing it for the European crowd longer than the 30-06).

Tikka T3x in 7mm-08: https://www.northwestfirearms.com/threads/tikka-t3x-7-08-with-vortex-se-1627.446145/

Last Edited:
This is a big decision, so please allow me to ask a few questions.

1. Do you plan to reload?
2. How far is your maximum expected range on elk and/or deer?
3. How much do you expect to spend per box on ammunition?
4. Have you researched the cost and/or availability of ammunition in the cartridges you are considering?
5. Have you researched the amount of practice necessary to become proficient at the range in question 2?
6. Are you willing to practice enough (both time and money) to become proficient at the range in question 2?
7. Are you willing to consider other cartridges?
8. What is your experience with fairly powerful centerfire rifles?

My bonanza fides: reloader, including 6.5 PRC. I shoot a lot. I've killed elk near and not too far with my handloads, seen them killed farther still with my handloads. Killed elk and deer with a variety of cartridges. Killed deer a loooong way off (but nowhere near as far as others who have more skill). Studied ballistics and compared paper to on-animal results.

Limitations: opinionated but data-driven. No on-game experience with 6.5 PRC but I helped a guy recover a bull he shot with one.

P

This is a big decision, so please allow me to ask a few questions.

1. Do you plan to reload?
2. How far is your maximum expected range on elk and/or deer?
3. How much do you expect to spend per box on ammunition?
4. Have you researched the cost and/or availability of ammunition in the cartridges you are considering?
5. Have you researched the amount of practice necessary to become proficient at the range in question 2?
6. Are you willing to practice enough (both time and money) to become proficient at the range in question 2?
7. Are you willing to consider other cartridges?
8. What is your experience with fairly powerful centerfire rifles?

My bonanza fides: reloader, including 6.5 PRC. I shoot a lot. I've killed elk near and not too far with my handloads, seen them killed farther still with my handloads. Killed elk and deer with a variety of cartridges. Killed deer a loooong way off (but nowhere near as far as others who have more skill). Studied ballistics and compared paper to on-animal results.

Limitations: opinionated but data-driven. No on-game experience with 6.5 PRC but I helped a guy recover a bull he shot with one.

P
Coming from an archery background, I'm a strong follower of ethical shots. With the distances available to me for practice, probably a 400 yard range. I don't plan on shooting any further than I practice. As fair as shooting a hot round, I have a little experience. I understand shooters fatigue and when to quit instead of building bad habits and recoil anticipation. I haven't purchased because I'm still researching ballistic data. Lots of hype on 7 prc etc. From what I've seen it's pretty spendy, and I don't have reloading equipment. I may get into it, as I shoot 300 blackout anyway. Thanks for the detailed reply, I'm still researching before buying anything.

From an archery background I think you'll agree that a faster arrow gives you greater penetration and range, but past a certain point all the arrow does is make more noise when it hits the ground on the far side of the animal after a full pass through. So in terms of killing, a really fast arrow out of an 85 lb bow at normal ranges doesn't kill any different than a slower arrow out of a 65 lb bow. Sure, time of flight is different but as long as the right arrow is going fast enough you'll have a dead bull. Heck, lighter bows might even be easier to shoot, hence better shot placement. Which is, of course, key.

Bullets work on the exact same principle. Past a certain point a really speedy bullet provides no advantage, especially if you're not talking about 600+ yard shots.

I hope we're on the same page so far.

So what does a 6.5 PRC give you that a 6.5 CM doesn't?

Speed. That's it. A bigger case means more powder which means more speed. Exact same bullet, just going faster.

But so what? Past a certain point speed differences are meaningless. Except in terms of recoil. Physics tells us that faster bullets will kick more. Sometimes a lot more. I'm something of a recoil sissy these days, ever since I realized that I don't need a big, fast bullet to kill quickly. My practice sessions are much more enjoyable.

Speed differences translate to distance differences, of course, but nothing you're likely to shoot at 450 yards and in is going to be able to tell the difference.

My brother is very impressed with his Tikka 6.5 PRC. He should be, he's using my custom handloads. Factory ammo for the bullet I use is well over $70 per box of 20, so it's AT LEAST $3.50 every time he squeezes the trigger. That is, if you can find it. Holy crap. And keep in mind his ammunition is tuned to his specific rifle, not a one-size-fits-all factory load. He can't buy what I make.

So take that into consideration. How much $75 per box ammunition is it going to take to get proficient enough at 400 yards to be 100% sure of a quick kill?

The velocity lower limit threshold for most big-game bullets is 1800 feet per second at impact. At or above this threshold the bullet is designed to mushroom and penetrate adequately to ensure a quick kill, assuming proper placement.

You might want to look at a variety of cartridges as see what they're doing at 450 yards. 1800, maybe even 2000 fps at minimum but you really don't need more.

And if you want more, like a PRC, whether 6.5 or 7, just keep in mind you'll be spending a lot more money, and absorbing a lot more recoil, because you want to, not because you need to.

The rifle I use fires a 150 grain bullet at 2790 fps. At 450 yards that bullet is carrying over 2100 fps. My nephew has a set of 6x5 elk antlers in his den from this very load. He killed the bull at 409 yards, I watched through my spotting scope. The bull didn't go far.

This load drops below 1800 fps right at 700 yards, which is well beyond my skill level. So it will do everything I ask of it up to my skill level. So I got that going for me, which is nice.

Spend some time on the numbers. Spend some time asking other people what they shoot but be sure to ask why. Listen to the why critically. I think most people believe bigger is better. I don't.

P

Coming from an archery background, I'm a strong follower of ethical shots. With the distances available to me for practice, probably a 400 yard range. I don't plan on shooting any further than I practice. As fair as shooting a hot round, I have a little experience. I understand shooters fatigue and when to quit instead of building bad habits and recoil anticipation. I haven't purchased because I'm still researching ballistic data. Lots of hype on 7 prc etc. From what I've seen it's pretty spendy, and I don't have reloading equipment. I may get into it, as I shoot 300 blackout anyway. Thanks for the detailed reply, I'm still researching before buying anything.
Lots to address here for what your after... But first you won me at not shooting any further than you practice. :)

I've talked to a couple friends and most people say 6.5 CM is the way to go. I was thinking of going to 6.5 PRC. It's a little more Juice and while a little light, an effective elk round. (Shot placement always being key) My old boss swore by 28 Nosler.
from what I understand the 6.5PRC is the improved 6.5 Creedmore for bigger game. Your "while a little light, an effective elk round" is spot on. While shot placement is key, please note its key in any caliber/cartridge.

Popularity: the PRC is too new to predict. Same for the 7 PRC. If your not going to reload, this is a huge factor. Both will be great calibers for any North American big game but ammo availability should be considered. I recently bought a dedicated elk rifle and my choices came down to the 6.5PRC and the 280AI. I chose the 280AI because, IMO, it seems to be more popular and had heavier bullet options while still almost covering all the lighter weight options the PRC does. Some discussion on that here: https://www.northwestfirearms.com/threads/6-5prc-vs-280ai.428630/

As fair as shooting a hot round, I have a little experience. I understand shooters fatigue and when to quit instead of building bad habits and recoil anticipation.
My 280AI is managable, IMO. I think the 6.5PRC would be too... these arent magnum class calibers.
I haven't purchased because I'm still researching ballistic data. Lots of hype on 7 prc etc. From what I've seen it's pretty spendy, and I don't have reloading equipment. I may get into it, as I shoot 300 blackout anyway.
If you get into reloading (or think you might in the future) consider the 280AI. Its SAAMI approved and there is AI brass available for it now along with published load data. There is no SAAMI standards or load data for the two PRC's, hence the popularity.

Lastly, whatever you pick get a fast twist barrel.

While I am limited in range at the moment, I hope to grow into it with future opportunities. At closer ranges, the cm is a winner for sure. I'm not really scared off by the cost. Thanks for the insight

While I am limited in range at the moment, I hope to grow into it with future opportunities. At closer ranges, the cm is a winner for sure. I'm not really scared off by the cost. Thanks for the insight
If you want an elk rifle to grow into then dont get the 6.5 creedmore get either of the two PRCs (or 280AI).

Ok so I'm primarily an archery hunter but I am getting on in years and rifle hunting has been a bit easier on my metal knees and so I am doing it more of it. I went from a Sako 7 rem mag to a Tikka 3x ultralight 6.5 Creedmoor. Been very happy with the weight and recoil savings although 7 rem mm is still more versatile. Agree too that 6.5 PRC packs a little more punch as does- 7mm-08…. but for .280ai may as well use 7 rem mm. Available, more economical and a similar enough cartridge, same reasoning applies for Nosler 28 and 7 PRC, acknowledging some improved characteristics over the standard 7 rem mm.
However, .308 ought to be considered. Unless you are shooting past 600 yards, which you said you're not, it's cheaper, available and more versatile. Especially on all North American big game. Still pretty much the perfect caliber for 0-600 yards. And I know it's good past that, just comparing to more "current calibers" being considered.

if you are not going to reload I would stick with readily available cartridges. .270 win, .308 win,..30-06 sprg, 7mm mag or the like. you can find those most anywhere in "normal" times. I don't remember seeing 6prc ammo anywhere, but I have not been looking for it. much like my .270 short mag ammo, lol

7mm Rem Mag is certainly the benchmark of elk calibers but if reloading is part of the plan Id rather reload for the PRCs or 280AI.