JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The 6.5x55 is another easy to reload caliber that offers the ability to use up to 160gr bullets that are death on big game. I wouldn't think twice about using mine on deer and elk. Huge cult following. Been around a long time. One of the original Mauser choices. Very mild recoil as well.

Coming from an archery background, I've never really delved into hunting rifles or long range shooting. I'm thinking it's time. I've talked to a couple friends and most people say 6.5 CM is the way to go. I was thinking of going to 6.5 PRC. It's a little more Juice and while a little light, an effective elk round. (Shot placement always being key) My old boss swore by 28 Nosler. This would probably be my only bolt gun. I wanted something accurate and can punch at some distance. Looking for input from seasoned shooters with each. I'm leaning toward PRC as a middle ground.
Archery uses what works. It hasn't veered from that path extremely in a long time. Minor changes to the bow or string materials. Minor changes to the arrow or tip. Within that world there are the "common" and the "Gucci" just like rifles.

I'd say stick with the common.

Look at things hunters have used for a long period of time. 6.5prc is not one of those. 6.5cm is getting there but is more common for competing than hunting, at least for now. Common well used and reputable, 30-06, 308, 300wm, 270…

If you're already in the "Gucci" realm of archery and you're used to playing with that sort of caliber of equipment and such, keep looking at the hottest and newest calibers. They don't exactly do much over the more common calibers, but marketing and the internet are still debating that. Whereas the common stuff has generations of dead animals behind them.