JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Does anybody have any experience with the difference between large or small primer brass for the 6.5? My friend just bought a Ruger American in 6.5 so now we have to load for it. Looking at Starline site and they sell both types with a comment or two on each, I'm looking for real world what works. At the moment reloading the brass from the Federal non typical ammo she bought with gun using Hornady 140gr ELD match bullets and IMR 4350 is already an improvement.

I went with the small primer pocket. Should last longer without opening up.

In reality it probably won't make that much difference.

Small primer is usually used by people seeking greater accuracy (which will be small at best) or greater range. The smaller pocket will withstand greater pressure. You will have to select your powders more carefully though, especially in cold weather, you can get hang fires or sometimes the powder wont light at all. Lapua also uses a smaller size flash hole so you will have to use a different decapping pin, I dont know if starline does, but I'm sure dizzyj will

I usually use large primer brass, no particular reason, just always have.

I have starline small and Lapua brass and I see a small speed difference. Lapua with it's small primer hole usually yeilds a 20fps speed increase!!!

I'm thinking we'll probably go with large for reliability and simplicity until she decides if it's something she wants to get serious about. Appreciate the input

I'm thinking we'll probably go with large for reliability and simplicity until she decides if it's something she wants to get serious about. Appreciate the input
Good choice. No reason to chase something that's moot right now.

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top