6.5 carcano

MechaNik

Reactions
Are you asking for a rifle or ammo? Right now there are rifles in that caliber all over the internet for $250. Most have been a big cache in Africa somewhere

OP
D
Reactions
You watch the OreGear channel today too?
ive been price checking ammo all day to see if its a viable new purchase.
I've been looking to get a few more milsirps recently, with the way prices are going on them. Settled on the Carcano. Paid a little more for a hand selected one. Just waiting for it to ship now. Figured I'd try and get some ammo for it while I wait.

Reactions
first thing you want to do is slug the bore. the 6.5 is a .264 dia bore but a lot of the surplus carcano rifles have .268+ bores. before buying ammo wait until you receive the rifle then slug the bore to determine the bore size. if the bore slugs out to .268 or larger, i don't know if Hornady still makes a .268 FMJ if so then you will have to reload for that rifle. you can shoot the .264 dia bullets but accuracy will suffer. or cast your own bullets and size them to .268. i think Privi Partisan makes ammo for the 6.5 also you can make 6.5 carcano brass using 220 swift cases. but you will need a lathe to turn down the rims. if you want more info on the carcano rifle PM me and i will give you my phone number. HTH
Rick

Reactions
I've been looking to get a few more milsirps recently, with the way prices are going on them. Settled on the Carcano. Paid a little more for a hand selected one. Just waiting for it to ship now. Figured I'd try and get some ammo for it while I wait.
Be warned. . . , the famed CARCANO rifle has a history of bolts that fracture and may take half of the shooters face off, or even worse, death! I personally rendered mine non-firing, by grinding the firing pin down, and yes the bolt was showing signs of crack/ fracture at the rear of the bolt where the spring/safety pin thread into the bolt carrier/surround. I strongly suggest to make it a wall-hanger.

Reactions
Be warned. . . , the famed CARCANO rifle has a history of bolts that fracture and may take half of the shooters face off, or even worse, death! I personally rendered mine non-firing, by grinding the firing pin down, and yes the bolt was showing signs of crack/ fracture at the rear of the bolt where the spring/safety pin thread into the bolt carrier/surround. I strongly suggest to make it a wall-hanger.
The Above is Not True

Reactions
My CARCANO was of the 1942-3 vintage, carbine. The 6.5mm bullet is one of those that can really reach out and touch, and at incredible speed. When I did shoot it early on, I used military surplus ammo, pretty accurate, and it was a stinger for a carbine. It was also a nicely balanced rifle, easy to carry and shoulder. The 6.5mm Italian round was hot round, long, slender bullet and a "long" case - lots of powder !

Reactions
My CARCANO was of the 1942-3 vintage, carbine. The 6.5mm bullet is one of those that can really reach out and touch, and at incredible speed. When I did shoot it early on, I used military surplus ammo, pretty accurate, and it was a stinger for a carbine. It was also a nicely balanced rifle, easy to carry and shoulder. The 6.5mm Italian round was hot round, long, slender bullet and a "long" case - lots of powder !
i have been shooting my carcano since i purchased it in 1993. it was made in 1938. now i have shot old military rounds which most would not fire and they were very corrosive and not accurate. i still have 2 boxes of norma ammo which is what commerical i was using until i started reloading for the carcano. the 6.5 carcano using a 160 grain which was the standard bullet weight velocities are 2,400 FPS. which is 100 FPS faster than the 30/30 winchester with a 170 grain bullet so the Hot Load statement i don't get. during WW II the Italians chambered many of the carcano rifles in the 8mm mauser caliber. so these actions were plenty strong. if your bolt showed signs of cracking then it was not properly stored after the war and more than likely had headspace problems which a lot of these rifles had. that is why with old military rifles you should do a chamber cast. i could go on but you get the point.

UPCOMING EVENTS

Lead Farm Precision Rifle Match
The Lead Farm
34006 Gwinn Rd, Prosser, WA 99350, USA
Arms Collectors of SW Washington Gun Show
Battleground Community Center
912 E Main St, Battle Ground, WA 98604, USA
Rimfire Challenge Dec 12th @ DRRC
Douglas Ridge Rifle Club
27787 OR-224, Eagle Creek, OR 97022, USA
Albany Rifle & Pistol Club (ARPC) Gun Show
Linn County Expo Center
3700 Knox Butte Rd E, Albany, OR 97322, USA

LATEST RESOURCE REVIEWS

• Sportsman's Warehouse - Albany
    5.00 star(s)
    Good products at good prices with friendly and knowledgeable staff!
    We like to visit the Albany location as it's closer but have been to several others and they have all been great!:D
  • Umpqua Survival
    4.00 star(s)
    Easy NFA transfer
    I had a silencer transferred through their shop. The paperwork was quick and the staff helpful and friendly. Whilst waiting, I did see a nice...
  • MK Tactical
    5.00 star(s)
    Awesome staff
    Being new to the area and having just made an online purchase of an AR lower, I opted to use MK Tactical as my FFL, without knowing anything about...
  • J&B Firearm Sales
    5.00 star(s)
    Good local shop
    Picked up a rifle yesterday from J&B. This was the second or third gun purchase over the last few years from them. I always enjoy stopping by...
  • H&K Gun Shop
    5.00 star(s)
    The only place I have found 9mm in stock
    I’ll admit I didn’t even know this place existed, as I don’t tend to go into Forest Grove often. But it’s a giant (looks bigger from the...
Top Bottom