JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Poll: 50% of Coloradans Want Armed Teachers in Schools

Poll: 50% of Coloradans Want Armed Teachers in Schools

by AWR Hawkins 6 Feb 2014

As Republicans in the Colorado legislature prepare to argue in favor of allowing teachers to carry firearms on campus, a Quinnipiac University poll shows that "fifty percent of Coloradans support allowing teachers and school officials [with a concealed carry permit] to carry guns on campus."

State Rep. Steve Humphrey (R-Severance) is sponsoring the legislation which will allow teachers to be armed on campus. He told The Denver Post, "It's clear Coloradans want to keep Colorado schoolchildren safe. I'm saying let's give school districts that option."

Across the state, 73 percent of Republicans support allowing teachers with concealed carry permits to carry on campus, but "only 19 percent of Democrats support it."

Chairman of the House Judiciary Committee in the state, Rep. Daniel Kagan (D-Cherry Hills Village), said, "There's no doubt we all want to keep our kids safe," but he would not take a position on allowing teachers to play a role in that safety by carrying firearms.

Naw, they're missing the "brain" part of the "collective brain". ;)
They trade that brain for some delusions.

These are the same people that also don't want a resource officer at a school either because guns are bad and all.

Look guys, I'm hopefully obviously not anti-gun, but what a sad state of affairs it is when we need to start talking about arming teachers. Full disclosure, my wife is an elementary school teacher. Everyday I hear about the kids that she knows need more attention, but she has 25 others that she needs to teach as well. It's so sad that on top of all the pressure being put on them now we need to add soldier to their list of duties.

To me the solution is bullet proof glass to every classroom, with a locking mechanism to every door in the school that can be activated remotely by any faculty and/or by pulling of an alarm similar to a fire alarm. This and the presence of an armed police or trained security guard would be ideal in my mind.

Again, so sad we have to prepare for such things.

Look guys, I'm hopefully obviously not anti-gun, but what a sad state of affairs it is when we need to start talking about arming teachers. Full disclosure, my wife is an elementary school teacher. Everyday I hear about the kids that she knows need more attention, but she has 25 others that she needs to teach as well. It's so sad that on top of all the pressure being put on them now we need to add soldier to their list of duties.

To me the solution is bullet proof glass to every classroom, with a locking mechanism to every door in the school that can be activated remotely by any faculty and/or by pulling of an alarm similar to a fire alarm. This and the presence of an armed police or trained security guard would be ideal in my mind.

I have a cheaper alternative that we all already know works perfectly,
Remove the "no guns" signs and let school become a place for learning
again & not a political field for disarmament, which will never work as long as
nuts are allowed to run free in our streets

No offense, but that is as pie in the sky as wishing black powder had never been invented. Reality is that guns exist and can be brought anywhere. Question is how can we best defend against the sickos that decide to attack a school. Or any other place, for that matter.

The real, and effective answer, in my opinion, is find and treat the sickos before they act out. Most of these people would not be criminals if we were able to find and treat them properly before they came to the point of harming others. It isn't about gun control, or security. It's about health care.

No offense, but that is as pie in the sky as wishing black powder had never been invented. Reality is that guns exist and can be brought anywhere. Question is how can we best defend against the sickos that decide to attack a school. Or any other place, for that matter.

You sound young, and by that I mean you went to school after all the No Guns signs were initially introduced.
I'm 48 and took my guns with me to school, at least during my senior year at high school. We Never had any shootings. In fact school
shootings back then were Soo unheard of that I don't recall ever even fantasizing about running to my car to get a gun to finish off a school
shooting. The only trouble I ever got into at school involved the boxes of beer that also resided in my vehicle, along with the guns.

If you look back at history it's easy to see that before ignorant politicians without imagination came along & screwed up our schools
there did not exist a problem with school shootings. I say we take down all the No Guns signs & repost them wherever politicians live & work
~Lets solve 2 problems with one solution!~

Phillyfan,

Though my wife and I are a childless couple, we have nieces and nephews as well as several friends that are teachers and administrators as well. Ask your wife what she thinks the number 1 issue is regarding the situation today and I'd bet money she would say its a combination of lack of parenting and environment.
For example, how is it possible to think we are going to have balanced, respectful children when are raised by their TV and XBOX, with a steady diet of Monster energy drink and PopTarts while taking anti-depressants like their parents?
I'm not that old, but I actually carries a rifle, along with a bunch of others, in my car to high school everyday and was on the school shooting team, in which we brought our shotguns to school on a regular basis......and shockingly, we NEVER had a single incident.

I would like to One up you.... remove the "no guns" signs and post up... "Our teachers might be armed, take your chances"

You sound young, and by that I mean you went to school after all the No Guns signs were initially introduced.
I'm 48 and took my guns with me to school, at least during my senior year at high school. We Never had any shootings. In fact school
shootings back then were Soo unheard of that I don't recall ever even fantasizing about running to my car to get a gun to finish off a school
shooting. The only trouble I ever got into at school involved the boxes of beer that also resided in my vehicle, along with the guns.

If you look back at history it's easy to see that before ignorant politicians without imagination came along & screwed up our schools
there did not exist a problem with school shootings. I say we take down all the No Guns signs & repost them wherever politicians live & work
~Lets solve 2 problems with one solution!~

Well, that was kind of my point. The guns are the same as back then, but why, now, do we have these things going on? It has nothing to do with anti-gunners, or pro gunners as far as I am concerned. The guns have always been there, so what changed? I think there are some contributing factors including the fact that even in two parent families it is now necessary for most to have both parents working which reduces the ability for parents to really guide and teach their kids in the things that schools can't and really have no responsibility to. Coping skills seem to have been replaced with prescriptions. What a pill popping society we have become. Almost every mass shooter has been on some type of psychotropic drug either at the time of shooting or recently came off of them.

Like I said before. These shootings have nothing to do with gun control, arming teachers, or security guards. The real problem is mental health, and as a society we are failing miserably in dealing with and recognizing it. More guns won't stop the shootings, though I think it could really help in reducing the number of fatalities resulting from them. The key is to find a root cause and attack it. No matter what your view regarding gun control, I think both sides could do a lot more good by combining forces to fight the real problem.

An old professor of mine used to say that it is cheaper to put a fence at the top of the cliff than park an ambulance at the bottom.

I don't think mental health is the big issue.
I think it is the lack of self-control and taking responsibility for your actions!!!!!
BUT WHO TEACHES THAT????? Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmnnnnnnnnnnnn?!?!?!?!?!

Sheldon

Phillyfan
Looking at your avatar I have to ask:
Have you ever thought about how much the emperor resembles The JOKER in the Batman comics?

Sheldon

Well, that was kind of my point. The guns are the same as back then, but why, now, do we have these things going on? It has nothing to do with anti-gunners, or pro gunners as far as I am concerned. The guns have always been there, so what changed? I think there are some contributing factors including the fact that even in two parent families it is now necessary for most to have both parents working which reduces the ability for parents to really guide and teach their kids in the things that schools can't and really have no responsibility to. Coping skills seem to have been replaced with prescriptions. What a pill popping society we have become. Almost every mass shooter has been on some type of psychotropic drug either at the time of shooting or recently came off of them.

Like I said before. These shootings have nothing to do with gun control, arming teachers, or security guards. The real problem is mental health, and as a society we are failing miserably in dealing with and recognizing it. More guns won't stop the shootings, though I think it could really help in reducing the number of fatalities resulting from them. The key is to find a root cause and attack it. No matter what your view regarding gun control, I think both sides could do a lot more good by combining forces to fight the real problem.

An old professor of mine used to say that it is cheaper to put a fence at the top of the cliff than park an ambulance at the bottom.

Thing that changed is one day these nuts who are addicted to attention & sensationalism, found that the NO Guns zone was just the place to gain the
attention of newspapers & tv reporters the world over. Also being that there are no guns in the NO Guns zone they would be much more certain that
nobody could disrupt their carefully laid out plans to garner the attention they were seeking. This is still true to this day and it still continues to pay
dividends that only a true nut could be interested in.

Every nut knows that be it a theatre shooting or an army base shooting, as long as it takes place in a NO Guns zone, they will receive
the attention that they so richly desire. The media continues to pay off like a functional gold mine as the mentally deficient wonder at
yet another instance of criminals not following the law. People with huge responsibility & no imagination are sucking the lives from all around us

Thing that changed is one day these nuts who are addicted to attention & sensationalism, found that the NO Guns zone was just the place to gain the
attention of newspapers & tv reporters the world over.

So I would go with that, if the shooters didn't commit suicide after their deeds. If they dropped their guns afterword and said here I am, make me a superstar, then that would make sense. If you believe these people to be narcissists, then you would think they would want to be around to glean from the publicity and notoriety that their acts had produced, but they all kill themselves. Of course they choose venues that are gun free. The higher the body count the longer their name will live in the media. Just guessing, but I think these people want to matter. All I'm saying is, the guns or lack there of are not the issue.

Not a psychiatrist, but as an armchair amateur I would guess that they were going to commit suicide anyway, and decided they wanted it to matter to someone. For their lives to mean something. It is a sad thing all the way around, to me. Tortured soles, taking innocents with them.

What it comes down to for us is, do we want to stop it or defend against it when it happens?

Seriously, take everyone's guns away, this will still happen. Look at the mass stabbings in other countries. Put a person with a gun on every corner, it will still happen (though admittedly the body count would be lower).

The point is that IT IS NOT A GUN ISSUE!

I don't think mental health is the big issue.
I think it is the lack of self-control and taking responsibility for your actions!!!!!
BUT WHO TEACHES THAT????? Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmnnnnnnnnnnnn?!?!?!?!?!

Sheldon

Well, wouldn't lack of self-control be a mental health issue? And taking responsibility for your own actions, really. Who does teach that? Parents? Teachers?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top