JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am trying to find somebody who has knowledge of or has actually seen a bolt gun in 5.45x39. I would like to have/make one but the hours of research I have done has basically led nowhere other than AR uppers.

From what I have read the spam can ammo is extremely accurate over 400 yds in a quality Ar upper so I think having a bolt gun for varmints would be cool since I already have the cheap ammo for my AK-74.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

There aren't any that I know of that are not custom. I tried finding a single shot 7.62x39 for a while. They exist, but those willing to sell want your kidneys as well as your cash.

If your on the edge about 5.45x39, buy it now. As much as you can. Worry about the gun later. That ammo won't stay cheap forever. Especially with everyone else looking at it as cheap ammo.

I have no experience with bolt rifles in 5.45x39 but thought it would be cool to shoot cheap military grade ammo in a commercial grade 7.62x39 bolt rifle and it didn't work. The primers were too hard to fire reliably and when you go to commercial ammo the price benefit is gone. Same thing happened with 5.56 in a Win model 70 and Ruger 77. I still shoot commercial grade 5.56 in the model 70 as it is accurate and a pleasure to shoot.
The 7.62x39 was in the mini Mauser.

I have no experience with bolt rifles in 5.45x39 but thought it would be cool to shoot cheap military grade ammo in a commercial grade 7.62x39 bolt rifle and it didn't work. The primers were too hard to fire reliably and when you go to commercial ammo the price benefit is gone. Same thing happened with 5.56 in a Win model 70 and Ruger 77. I still shoot commercial grade 5.56 in the model 70 as it is accurate and a pleasure to shoot.

Good point! I didn't think of that. I would assume the 5.45 primers to be very hard too.

OP,
You should buy one anyways....If it don't work out you could always sell it (To a coworker maybe).;)

I have owned my SSG82 for about ten years now. It has a hammer forged barrel with external tiny flats around it and a varnished honey colored stock. Scope is as original that came with the rifle, an East German Zeiss Jena 4x model. I have never experienced any problems with extraction and have only shot steel lacquered Russian ammo through it. I have two lots of ammo, one lot uses a 53 grain bullet and the other lot a 70 grain bullet. Both are about 2.5 MOA in my rifle. I bought a set of reloading dies in 5.45×39 from RCBS shortly after I received the SSG82. I began experimenting by pulling the Russian factory bullets and replacing them with .223″ Sierra Match King bullets, 52 grain Match King to replace the original 53 grain bullet and 69 grain Match King to replace the original 70 grain bullet. Doing that alone shrunk groups down to consistent .75 MOA in my SSG82. Then I tried dumping out the Russian ball powder and replacing it with a suitable charge of Vihtavuori N135 powder and topping that off with a Sierra 69 grain Match King bullet. That load will group consistently in the .5 MOA range (all groups are 5 shot groups). Now, before anyone tells me I am crazy because the 5.45×39 has smaller bore dimensions than the 5.56 NATO round, I know that. I shoot long range Palma 800, 900, & 1000 yard competition with my 7.62 NATO chambered target rifle. Palma shooters have for years been building their 7.62 rifles with .3065″ barrels even though the typical bullet is .308″ diameter. So do not fear, your SSG82 will not blow up in your face if you load some ammo with .223 bullets. Just make sure the bullet you are replacing is heavier than the bullet you are replacing it with and keep your wits about you when working up loads. I use the same loads in my S&W AR15 chambered in 5.45×39 but the chamber spec is a little different from the SSG82 and requires that I seat the Match King bullets a little deeper in the case, otherwise the loads are identical and show a definite improvement in group size over the standard Russian ammo.

Posted FWIW

Don

The primers are thick for sure, but not too thick.

I converted an AR to 5.45 and had about a 10% FTF due to light primer strikes. I ordered a heavier trigger spring thru Ballistic Advantage in FL and I can't remember my last light primer strike. So if you do end up converting something, upgrade your trigger spring to something beefier and you're golden.

Rob

The primers are thick for sure, but not too thick.

I converted an AR to 5.45 and had about a 10% FTF due to light primer strikes. I ordered a heavier trigger spring thru Ballistic Advantage in FL and I can't remember my last light primer strike. So if you do end up converting something, upgrade your trigger spring to something beefier and you're golden.

Rob

A bit odd but I don't doubt you. My SSG82 certainly does not have a heavy firing pin spring but it functions just fine with all Russian military ammo. I also have a S&W 5.45x39 upper for my AR 15 and the hammer spring seems to work just fine with all 5.45x39 ammo I have used so far, most of it being surplus Russian military ammo. May just be my good luck but then again, my luck rarely runs good.

Don

I'll repeat.

Buy the ammo now!

Just looked to get another crate if 54r. Stuff is up almost 200% in a year. If your looking at 5.45 as a cheap alternative. Realize your not alone and it tends to dry up quick.

Hell I bought a crate locally just for bubblegums and grins. Good investment. I don't own a 5.45, but in a year or two I'll post it for sale at whatever the current market value is.

I talked to the local gunsmith a couple weeks ago and he looked up the firing pin spring options for model 70 and suggested a 30# spring and showed me how to change it myself. Got the spring from Wolff Gunsprings and watched a u-tube video and installed the spring. Hard part is compressing the new spring to install the keeper. Ran a box of Wolf Classic thru it and no problems. Weather was too bad to target test the ammo but was easy minute of Coors can at about 60yds.
I'll put in a good word for Wolff Gunsprings, always good service from them.

I have owned my SSG82 for about ten years now. It has a hammer forged barrel with external tiny flats around it and a varnished honey colored stock. Scope is as original that came with the rifle, an East German Zeiss Jena 4x model. I have never experienced any problems with extraction and have only shot steel lacquered Russian ammo through it. I have two lots of ammo, one lot uses a 53 grain bullet and the other lot a 70 grain bullet. Both are about 2.5 MOA in my rifle. I bought a set of reloading dies in 5.45×39 from RCBS shortly after I received the SSG82. I began experimenting by pulling the Russian factory bullets and replacing them with .223″ Sierra Match King bullets, 52 grain Match King to replace the original 53 grain bullet and 69 grain Match King to replace the original 70 grain bullet. Doing that alone shrunk groups down to consistent .75 MOA in my SSG82. Then I tried dumping out the Russian ball powder and replacing it with a suitable charge of Vihtavuori N135 powder and topping that off with a Sierra 69 grain Match King bullet. That load will group consistently in the .5 MOA range (all groups are 5 shot groups). Now, before anyone tells me I am crazy because the 5.45×39 has smaller bore dimensions than the 5.56 NATO round, I know that. I shoot long range Palma 800, 900, & 1000 yard competition with my 7.62 NATO chambered target rifle. Palma shooters have for years been building their 7.62 rifles with .3065″ barrels even though the typical bullet is .308″ diameter. So do not fear, your SSG82 will not blow up in your face if you load some ammo with .223 bullets. Just make sure the bullet you are replacing is heavier than the bullet you are replacing it with and keep your wits about you when working up loads. I use the same loads in my S&W AR15 chambered in 5.45×39 but the chamber spec is a little different from the SSG82 and requires that I seat the Match King bullets a little deeper in the case, otherwise the loads are identical and show a definite improvement in group size over the standard Russian ammo.

Posted FWIW

Don

seems a lot of time and effort to essentially reload 5.45x39, i'd rather just get a 223 bolt gun and reload for that.

unless you're just going for the novelty factor, in which case why the hell not. a bolt gun in 5.45x39 must be rarer than hen's teeth.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads