JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My setup is using AGP 20% extra power magazine springs and a 24lb recoil spring. I've run 250 grain bullets 1300-1400 fps and they cycle reliably. An effective compensator helps slow the slide down, which is a must at these levels. A Carver 4 port serves that function for me.
I have been trying to work up a load like that. Care to share your recipe? Also, Lead or Jacketed?

My barrel is 5 1/4", chambered in standard 45 ACP. I use 45 super brass. It is the same thickness as the Rowland but without the silly extra length added. Magazine and ability to feed dictates OAL so the longer brass does no good for holding more powder.

Please start low and work your way up. These loads work in my gun but may melt your gun into molten lava and poke your eye out.

I have been using Meister 250grain RNFP at 1.185 OAL for most of my super loads.

800x
weight velocity
10.5 1290
11.0 1320 This is where I load to for Rowland levels.
11.5 1350
12.0 1380

Blue dot

11.0 1160 This is my standard super load.

My barrel is 5 1/4", chambered in standard 45 ACP. I use 45 super brass. It is the same thickness as the Rowland but without the silly extra length added. Magazine and ability to feed dictates OAL so the longer brass does no good for holding more powder.

Please start low and work your way up. These loads work in my gun but may melt your gun into molten lava and poke your eye out.

I have been using Meister 250grain RNFP at 1.185 OAL for most of my super loads.

800x
weight velocity
10.5 1290
11.5 1350
12.0 1380

Blue dot

Thanks for the info. Don't suppose you have a length for that bullet? I'd like to add it to quickload.

800x
weight velocity
10.5 1290
11.5 1350
12.0 1380

Blue dot

I believe the longer brass is so you don't load a Rowland in your old Llama 45:eek:

I have been shooting handloads through my Glock 41 Lone Wolf conversion.

They are 12 grains of Longshot, 230gr Hornady XTP and fresh Starline brass. For the first few times I took it shooting, it worked perfectly (150 rounds). The last couple times I have had some failure to feeds. This can happen from limpwristing it, but I have had it happen with a firm hold. The two modes of failure are the next cartridge is nose down in the mag, holding the slide open. The other mode is not locking fully into battery.

Clean, lubed gun. I'm wondering if I need to shorten the COL (I err on the high end because it is such a high pressure load 1.265 to 1.270), do a tighter crimp, or a stiffer mag spring.

Thoughts?

P.S. The one change was I added a Streamlight TLR-2s to the rail and it was on both times I had problems. I try without it next time.

I know this topic is old, but I just found it. I built a gen 3 G20 into a .460R longslide using all the same components as you - LWD slide, LWD 6.61" threaded barrel, LWD comp, and LWD SS guide rod with 24 pound spring. ONE difference is I use 10 round mags here in California, but because they are single stack they have proven to work without modification, or added spring pressure.

I too had the same problem with the gun not wanting to "seat" into battery even during firing - I'd have to reach up with my thumb to give the slide a little push to seat it. I finally traced it to the captive recoil spring system. Remember how LWD tells you to purchase the little washer to go with your guide and spring? That's because the distance between the guide rod seat and slide spring opening is ever so slightly longer with LWD slides than with OEM slides. But, even with this the problem is the total amount of reciprocating mass. As powerful as the .460R round is, the long slide Glock conversion really tames it down due to a 20 ounce slide, steel comp, high mass barrel, and stiff recoil spring. So when the whole mass is moving forward the spring is pushing quite a bit of weight, and when coil springs are at or near full extension they have very little force - this is the problem. At full extension the captive spring simply lacks the force to reliably shove everything forward that last little bit, and it's the "captive" part that's at fault. The fix is to back out the little hex head screw to allow the spring to extend forward a bit more - then lock-tite the screw. The problem will vanish. Another approach would be to add a second tiny washer, or remove the screw all together and basically convert to a non-captive system as this would ensure full extended spring pressure holding the slide shut, but on my set up the problem disappeared by simply backing out the screw about 3/32".

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top