JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hoping for some "it's going to be ok" advice from you experienced 1911 reloaders out there. I've got six pounds of two-year old Alliant Blue Dot and don't reload 10mm anymore. Excellent for 10mm by the way!

So, I'm getting ready to load up some 45acp with 230gr Speer RN FMJ and the Alliant guys list a "200gr" bullet in their only 45 ACP Blue Dot recipe, AND my trusty Speer manual #14, does not list a Blue Dot load for 230gr FMJ.

BUT, Speer does have 230gr GDHP with Blue Dot powder loads of "8.1 (796 ft/sec)" up to "9.0 (893 ft/sec)" out of a "4.4 inch" barrel. I intend to start with the minimum 8.1grs and stop at 8.8grs, for my government model 5" Colt, hoping to not beat the tar out of my gun :rolleyes:

Have you run 230gr 45acp using Blue Dot? Did you need to use magnum pistol primers to get full burns out of a somewhat slow powder for these low pressure 45acp / BlueDot loadings?

Thanks in advance...

Yes, many years ago. I squeezed the trigger and said, "Woahh, I'm not doing that again." By that I meant using Blue Dot to load .45 ACP.

That was so long ago I can't even place the decade. The bullets were cast 230s (actually 225). The load would have been high end and I likely used a standard primer.

I shot the entire box and don't recall any issues with gun or ammo. The load was stout. How stout? Like ordering a hamburger and getting a T-bone. That load was better suited to a revolver.

Not exactly what you were looking for but in the ballpark.

As you already know, not the best choice for .45 ACP. And you're really gonna wear out your patience trying to use up 6# of it in .45 ACP.

How about trying to trade it with someone for faster powders? Or sell it outright. Blue Dot typically doesn't get used up fast. People usually don't hammer away with magnums as they tend to do with "lesser" power guns. You might use some of it up loading 9mm, which works at higher pressures. That is, if you load 9mm. But it's a rather bulky powder; I don't like to get into compressed load situations.

I had a similar problem one time when a guy gave me a gallon paint pail filled with Alcan AL-8. I'm not a mass shotgun reloader, and don't shoot that many magnums. I had that AL-8 for a long time until I found a new home for it.

I know it hurts, but just because you have a certain powder, you should resist using it in inappropriate applications. Or marginal ones.

Yes, many years ago. I squeezed the trigger and said, "Woahh, I'm not doing that again." By that I meant using Blue Dot to load .45 ACP.

That was so long ago I can't even place the decade. The bullets were cast 230s (actually 225). The load would have been high end and I likely used a standard primer.

I shot the entire box and don't recall any issues with gun or ammo. The load was stout. How stout? Like ordering a hamburger and getting a T-bone. That load was better suited to a revolver.

Not exactly what you were looking for but in the ballpark.
Thanks...I know BD can really push so I'll be doing a few small test runs at the 8.1grs...

As you already know, not the best choice for .45 ACP. And you're really gonna wear out your patience trying to use up 6# of it in .45 ACP.

How about trying to trade it with someone for faster powders? Or sell it outright. Blue Dot typically doesn't get used up fast. People usually don't hammer away with magnums as they tend to do with "lesser" power guns. You might use some of it up loading 9mm, which works at higher pressures. That is, if you load 9mm. But it's a rather bulky powder; I don't like to get into compressed load situations.

I had a similar problem one time when a guy gave me a gallon paint pail filled with Alcan AL-8. I'm not a mass shotgun reloader, and don't shoot that many magnums. I had that AL-8 for a long time until I found a new home for it.

I know it hurts, but just because you have a certain powder, you should resist using it in inappropriate applications. Or marginal ones.
Agree...I may just sell the BD after a run or two at the 8.1grs. What's your favorite 230gr 45 powder and load? Seems like Red Dot and Unique have a big following.

Years ago, I used a lot of Red Dot. These days, I don't fire off much .45 ACP but one powder of choice is 231. I've got a couple of Vectan/Nobel Sport powders that I use also but they are kinda obscure for most US reloaders.

I have one partial container of Blue Dot that I keep around just because. I still shoot a bit of .41 Magnum. But for rifle, I use 296 and light revolver loads I use 231, so the Blue Dot gathers dust. I load 9mm but have better powders for that. Same comment for 10mm Auto.

I've still got most of a box of 45 LONG Colt loads a long deceased buddy worked up for his personal favorite Colt 1873 revolver load. They were way too humongous for me. The one I did take down to weigh the powder was over the max he had listed on the box. Simple mistake or laziness of habit? No way to tell.

I've been meaning to tear 'em down for components for years. I've never actually had a good Blue Dot experience.

I've still got most of a box of 45 LONG Colt loads a long deceased buddy worked up for his personal favorite Colt 1873 revolver load. They were way too humongous for me. The one I did take down to weigh the powder was over the max he had listed on the box. Simple mistake or laziness of habit? No way to tell.

I've been meaning to tear 'em down for components for years. I've never actually had a good Blue Dot experience.
The BD is a good one for boomers like 44mag too...really throws a flame out of a 6 1/2" revolver or a Ruger 77/44 I use to have. Do you reload 45acp and have a favorite load for 230gr bullets?

Lyman 48th
1596858728307.png

Years ago, I used a lot of Red Dot. These days, I don't fire off much .45 ACP but one powder of choice is 231. I've got a couple of Vectan/Nobel Sport powders that I use also but they are kinda obscure for most US reloaders.

I have one partial container of Blue Dot that I keep around just because. I still shoot a bit of .41 Magnum. But for rifle, I use 296 and light revolver loads I use 231, so the Blue Dot gathers dust. I load 9mm but have better powders for that. Same comment for 10mm Auto.

Exactly.

used to be back in the day blue and red were used all the time in 45 i still use blue for LRN 45 acp and have never had any issues in any of the 1911's i shot them in... older lyman manual

225g Cast bullet #452374 at 1.272" OAL
Blue Dot
Start 7.5g 660fps 8,600CUP
Max 10.7g 964fps 17,300CUP

i have manuals going back to the late 60's....

That's asking for it,, and don't use old manuals.
1911s do best at mil-spec or under, trying to make a magnum out of a .45acp cartridge is usually a bad idea.
JMB knew what he was doing.
yes but the fun with old vs new reloading manuals is that it is obvious over the years they have definitely softened the loads.....,

right from alliant web site and not listed as a magnum load so//////

min OAL 1.2 brl length 5"
45 Auto200 gr Speer GDHPSpeer1.2 5CCI 300Blue Dot10.51,010

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads