JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
What's a better shooting platform? Ballistic, penetration, velocity, round availability, price, and reliability?

I want to get an AR15 upper, not sure what set-up I want to go with.

Any feedback will be appreciated!

Thanks!

My buddy has the .50 Beo and it is unreal. I still to this day cannot believe that round is fired out of an AR platform. He built it to take to Alaska for "pest" control. I will get him to comment on the benefits over the others.

I bought the Beowulf for the plain and simple big bore stopping power. This round is at home in any situation. One of the major reasons that I went with the Beo, is the cartridge type is straight walled. My thought is that straight walled casing will last longer than a bottle necked case. The brass is not worked as hard. Another great thing about the Beo is the Half inch original diameter. When this thing hits it usually provides an inch sized projectile going threw things. I never have issues finding 50 cal bullets for reloading either. There is and amazing amount of different bullets available for this gun. Anything that the 50 AE or the 50s&w takes, so does this. The gun also runs without any hiccups. I also felt very comfortable in Alaska with the gun.(did get some weird looks) If you have any questions ask. There is so much more to this guns capabilities.
Future weapons Spot on the BEOWULF
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CrUARlmqso

50 Beo Forums
http://www.50beowulf.com/bboard/index.php

Right now it is hard to find anything in 45. I can even go down to Sportsman who is poor on stock and they have multiple boxes and still are getting new ones in. That was my only point about that.

Why not an auto 12g like an 11-87 or Saiga-12? Shoots .729 diameter slugs at 1600 fps. You can pick them up around 500grain.

Far cheaper too.

Detachable clips are nice and the shotgun was a thought of mine before going to Alaska. It is also a cool gun to have. It is also a lot easier to clear a jam in a AR platform than a semi auto shotty.

The saiga 12 is a mag feed shotgun and the 458 can use some of the bullets that are used in rifles not just handgun bullets. Not many .50 rifle bullets that will work. Bolth have good stopping power so you really cant go wrong.

Detachable clips are nice and the shotgun was a thought of mine before going to Alaska. It is also a cool gun to have. It is also a lot easier to clear a jam in a AR platform than a semi auto shotty.

The Saiga uses the AK like action, so its just as easy. It also uses a magazine.

I don't find it difficult to clear my 11-87 of jams. Also, think about whether or not your advantages are worth the extra money. If they are, then sweet go for it. If they're not worth it, but you'd still rather have the AR platform gun, you're crazy, but its your gun, go for it!

Guns aren't just about utility, they're about having fun.

Yes, because you would be changing your uppers while in the rear vehicle, being chased by insurgents.. :huh:

Also, because the 5.56x45 has proven to be a reliable manstopper.. :s0112:
Obviously, the beowolf would be much more effective in this role.

The round obviously has very limited penetration, so why tout it as a convoy protection weapon system?

Why not 7.62x51?

Surely it's a very well suited round for animals, but for penetrating barriers, forget about it!
Overall, my point is to show the ridiculous review given on that show, making it sound like something it's not.

The Future weapons clip with him changing uppers is kind of cheesy!

Anyways, my Beo came in today. I just need ammo for it.

I'll post up pics and reviews for it once I shoot it!

I did lots of research on the .458 vs. 50 vs .450 and it turns out the .450 is the only bullet that is really designed for hunting. It offer more accuracy because it is a pointed tip big game type hunting bullet while the others are pistol type slugs. you have more knock down power at long range with the 450 while the other two offer more knock down power at close range. They use the 50 to disable engines by shooting the block, both marine and suicide bombers in iraq. Since I would use it to hunt I would choose the .450 but if I were making an upper for home defense I would use the 50.
I also read the recoil on the 450 is significantly less than the 50. 458 socom is in between the 2 as far as accuracy/distance/knock down power goes. AR15.com has alot of info on the subject